StarCraft II 5.0.9 PTR Patch Notes

What are you talking about?? Protoss ground is as broken as ever. WAY WAY WAY too strong and flexible. Disruptor / Storm wipe any ground composition zerg and terran can build. Stalkers ultra mobile, high dps, and rotten cheap. Warp in allow for instant replenish, anywhere on the map. Out of position with entire army? RECALL! Recall on cooldown? MOTHERSHIP RECALL! Collosus? Immortal? DTs?? Protoss Ground not only needs massive nerfs, it needs to be reworked and some units need to be straight up deleted (DT, Disruptor, Colossus)

2 Likes

Pls only use the forum if you are high level (gold 3 or above). Thank you.

Just change the blink DT range from 8 to 6. It will allow more of a chance of them facing risk, and they canā€™t escape like Harry Houdini.

1 Like

Funnyā€¦
We got 5Z, 3T and 0P in IEM Katowice Quarter-Finals and you guys nerf P most.
Maybe Blz judge balance by reading NA forums article, where most writer never play a single game.

3 Likes

Roundā€¦36: 13 Toss 14 Terran 9 Zerg
in most tournaments, zerg starts with the fewest players.

1 Like

I mean - you keep bringing up this outdated TL post which clearly states it does not include IEM Katowice (the most important tournament of the year, and also the most recent oneā€¦), where 11 terrans made the round of 24, and Terrans had a 58.5% winrate vs protoss.

3 of the final 8 were Terrans, and 0 were toss. With all due respect - I think your TvP struggles might not be due to balance my guy.

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/index.php?title=IEM_Katowice/2022&section=18#Distribution (IEM Katowice - Distribution and Stats)

1 Like

Why nerf ghost st that cost? If u nerf snipe halve its gas costā€¦ Or u mean nerf emp range? I dont might slight range nerf on the upgrade that buffs it but if too small advantage might not upgrade at all

1 Like

according to Harstem, there is a large closed player group that deliberated these changes. I am unsure if it consists of purely pro gamers, a mix of community figures and pros, or just a bunch of active players at random. I would bet each of the players who deliberated these changes have more games than you (and much more than 0!).

2 Likes

Wrote this all out - applies here as well. Hope these changes are NOT final and they go back to the drawing board.

A step in the right direction I believe. We will see how this plays out.

I think theyā€™re doing things a bit at a time. Most of the changes listed here seem to be to address cheese play, with the exception of the Lurker (the Nydus Worm creep change is to allow Queens to be able to transfuse the Nydus Worm the instant they pop out). Ghosts arenā€™t really a cheese unit (although thereā€™s some nice 1-base Marine/Ghost All-Ins for TvP).

I hope some late-game PTR patches will come later, and I sense Ghosts may require a bit more thought. I have my own suggestion where PvT is concerned ([Suggestion] Protoss late-game (Templar + Tempest)) - ZvT Iā€™m not completely sure about, although an overall reduction in casting range for EMP might be a thought, but Iā€™m guessing the problem is that they can counter all Hive-tech units too easily with Steady Targetting.

3 Likes

I gotta be honest, I really donā€™t think that ghosts are a problem. Iā€™m not saying that because I am a terran either - Ghosts are already difficult to use. Snipe takes a full 1.43 seconds to cast, which is plenty of time to cancel the ability. At best theyā€™re a soft counter to zerg units, and trying to snipe while also dealing with everything else a terran - particularly a bio terran - has to do is hard enough already, even for pro players.

Also itā€™s important to keep in mind that the game is not a game of unit tier beats unit of lower tier - ghosts are supposed to counter broods and ultras well. And even lurkers to some extent. But they suck against more traditional ling bane. Developing your army composition around what your opponentā€™s composition is, is important in a game like starcraft.

EMP may need to have its radius reverted, but even that is questionable. Anything more than that would be overkill.

4 Likes

I almost think going back to the original Brood Lord/Infestor composition might be an answer here. If a Ghost is launching EMP at your Infestors, itā€™s not using Steady Targetting. At the same time, if an Infestor successfully lands Fungal Growth on a Ghost, it cancels Steady Targetting (and reveals them if you havenā€™t got a Detector). If you managed to Neural Parasite oneā€¦ wellā€¦ if it doesnā€™t immediately die, cast EMP on the other Ghosts!

In this case, I agree with you that Ghosts might be okay, but maybe to look at units that counter them or duel with them (e.g. High Templars).

1 Like

As far as infestors go, I dont think there is an issue with them per-se, but I can definitely see an argument being made for returning the Feedback damage to its original 1 point per energy, though I think that should be after an upgrade, rather than from base. If I recall, you made a suggestion like that in your thread, did you not?

IMO something like that would solve a lot of the issues protoss has against vipers in particular, but also other spell-casters as well - such as ghosts, since feedback is an instant cast. EMP is actually a (fast moving) projectile as well, which means that there is still the possibility of getting feedback off even after EMP has been cast. The timing is tight however.

1 Like

I have made a few suggestions over the years, and even made extension mods for them to be tested out - I put a load of the Protoss ones together here: [Extension Mod] All the Protoss upgrades!, although itā€™s not meant to be a final recommendation per se, especially as the other races donā€™t get anything (and the cost of Twilight Focus, the Feedback upgrade, is less than what I suggested).

But yes, my suggestion was for a Templar Archives upgrade (that Iā€™ve named ā€œTwilight Focusā€ and given a picture for in the above extension mod) that restores Feedback damage back to 1 HP/energy.

(Iā€™m not sure about my Fleet Beacon upgrades these days in that extension mod, just to note! If I had to give something to the Oracle now, it would be an upgrade that increases the duration of Revelationā€¦ that way it rewards you for keeping your early-game Oracles alive)

That Teamliquid post includes the 2022 Katowice results, what are you talking about? Including the 2022 Katowice results, Protoss performed better than Terran in Premier tournaments over the last year, according to that Teamliquid post.

Community members? Do you guys even chat with the Sc2 Mapster community? Iā€™ve been extracting a tons of bugs related to the editor and this is being ignored until whatā€¦ Microsoft takes over and hires staff?

1 Like

Community members means professional 1v1 players.

So what ?
Protoss is the easiest race in the game and Zest won the GSL tournament before IEM
BabycryingToss cant win all the Premier Tournament with Carriers and DT lol ā€¦

Glad to see Blizzard is fixing a 2 year old blatant issu a gold league noob would have never implemented in the game

Lurkers and DT with blink are also broken since decades

3 Likes

ghost are ā€œanti-casterā€ did not know that ultra/ brood/ lurker are casterā€¦
if ht has no energy two options wait or archon. Infestor no energy useless. viper back and recharge energy.
Ghost? donā€™t care fight unit with 6+ range vs ground/ air ā€¦
A typical terran unit.