Starcraft 2 is saying battle net is down [Main Thread]

Correct. But you have shifted to arguing the merits of the DRM. That is not what this forum is for, and what GD is for.

The problem is weather or not the network is down people should be able to play even multiplayer if they have a virtual private LAN or an in home LAN without ever needing to log in to Battle.net. Its been three days since i started trying to log in an no progress from battle.net, are you guys even close to figuring it out? I ask because if not then ive already given you guys the way to fix it in this conversation, and even given you guys the justification for doing so.

The issues is there is no ETA for a resolution. I get it, they don’t want to over promise and under delivery BUT you have to give the community something here. If you are going to keep the DRM as an online only and something MAJOR breaks then get the word out, if you have no clue how long its going to take at least say “check back in 8 hours” which is better than nothing. This should have been pushed out to and plastered on the SCII sign in screen (date/time stamped) so everyone is aware. This is just good customer service.

4 Likes

@ Leviathan: do you know if there’s an estimated ETA for the resolution for this issue, or at least if the root cause has been already indentified?

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Hope this gets fixed, but in the meantime i appreciate you guys dealing with things. Thanks,

2 Likes

I have the same issue signing into US.

Unfortunately co-op purchases and levels don’t seem to follow when I sign-in to EU.

3 Likes

As far as fixing the current issues you haven’t provided anything. SC2 never had LAN functionality because it intended to be played though the game service… something you should have considered before buying an online game if you didn’t agree with it.

The fact that it was never intended to have LAN coupled with the fact that SC2 reached end of development in 2020, there’s no chance of it every being added now or in the future.

Again, this is not the place to discuss what you personally think the game should have been.

Thats exactly what im addressing, you have to use b-net only for playing the game regardless if you are playing offline or on a Local network, you still have to use B-net. which if you paid for it i think you should be allowed to play it on any medium even solely on ones own computer without ever needing to log in to b-net.

1 Like

There isn’t. Bliz doesn’t typically give ETAs because people will hold them as promises carved in stone. Then when they don’t deliver, people will lash out at Bliz, even going as for as calling them liars. It just perpetuates an already spiraling situation. At most, they tend to announce fixes as they go out or immediately before.

Last time, Kailliss, this isn’t the appropriate place for that discussion.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Oh well… I’ll just wait until they provide a permanent fix… I mean, I’m able to play both the campaign, and some mods (Mass Recall) offline, which is the important part of all of this.

Thanks for the reply.

then server issues not being the core issue of what im talking about will be taken elsewhere until then this is the right forum for this discussion. The server has been down for three days by my count. nothing addressing it on the app, which there should be. the only server having this issue is the Americas, and mostly to new and returning players… hmmm… sounds like my point is still valid having to log in to battle.net to play solo seems to be the issue. How about you guys fix that?

2 Likes

That’s not what happened.

2 Likes

I have worked with online gaming companies and was astonished that they did not have a Dev/Test environment. They wanted the company I work for to push patches out to the primary servers and if something broke rely on the back up/secondary servers. This is NOT a best practice. I hope Blizzard has their act together more than this BUT, seeing this has been going on for days… We all know there is a chip shortage. Anyone working in IT knows parts are hard to come by but come on Blizzard, you only have 1 US server environment? No secondary server farm? No DR (Disaster Recovery) plan or Cloud connectivity? I thought this was the age of cloud computing to reduce downtime and take advantage of multi-point connectivity. Something here smells fishy. Is their core network broken? Did they REALLY have a single point of failure that could not be fixed in 24 hours? Who hired the CTO and Network Operation Sr Manager? Somebody’s SLA is so grossly missed it has generated a resume updating event! At least port over and beef up the other regions to absorb the US traffic. If this has been going on since Thursday a LOT of people need to worry about job security. No banners, no log-in pop-ups explaining the service disruption. The community here is lashing out in the dark trying to find out what is going on. At least let people know, is it network, server, service, or worse a compromised event? Heck, at this moment the old school test pattern with “Experiencing Technical Difficulties, Please Stand By” would be a better customer experience than this! Who is in charge of the environment over there?

5 Likes

Criticism is fine, provide you follow whatever rules a platform sets. In this case it would be the forum Code of Conduct which would prohibit discussion of cheats and exploits like private servers.

Getting a forum suspension over something likely meant sarcastically is not worth it. It is totally fair to be upset if you can’t play and want an update, but there are limits that you agreed on.

Free Speech ensures that in the US a citizen can speak up against the Govt without fear of arrest. It does not mean you can say whatever you want elsewhere, without consequences.

Last

MVPs are other players, not Blizzard staff. They do not speak for, or represent, Blizzard.

Blizzard posts in Blue. They are the only ones who can give an update on the situation.

Again, it is totally fair to be upset if you can’t play and want an update, but don’t beat up on other players who can’t fix anything.

I think you lost your “t”. The typo saying you “can” fix the issues, might be part of the distress.

3 Likes

Right, this is why central planning sucks. decentralized is best ive always said.

come on Blizzard, you only have 1 US server environment

Because a subset of players are affected (usually those reopening the application after a minimum time), it’s probably not a game server issue, per se. I’m going to bet on an auth issue that involves their auth systems (maybe including Warden), which are separate from the game servers, and the clients. It’s notoriously difficult to simulate decoupled systems that include variable client states.

1 Like

Good to know, but that also doesn’t really say anything. So when will we be hearing from a Code BLUE Agent?

When the people working on the problem give the support agents here something to communicate.

yes i am still have the issue for SC2 americas region.

No, it does not address the core problem which is that you can’t play and there are no communications at all right now. Nobody can even remotely pretend that is ok. It is not.

I don’t know. The Forum Support Agents are public interface folks but they depend on the actual technical/dev teams giving them updates and info. No info means no update. I hate to say it, but they also tend to not have a lot of people around on the weekend, even with a Region down.

2 Likes