Starcraft 2 is saying battle net is down [Main Thread]

this is the article: "* 1. Make sure you have the correct option selected from the Region / Account dropdown above the Play button on the Battle.net app.

1. Run the repair tool to repair any damaged game files.

2. Run a security scan to remove any viruses or malware infections.*"

this is not the problem… the games works in other regions. Only un US gives this error message.

1 Like

This is a good route to go. Since these forums are purely for community support–Blizzard has already stated that they do not consider them a channel for official support–everyone who has this issue should be opening a ticket for it. If tickets aren’t opened, they won’t know how many people are truly impacted.

If you wish to record your experience as a formal ticket with Blizzard, you can do so here.

1 Like

It’s been 5 days…
Shouldn’t this problem be getting more and more attention and urgency from the tech teams as each day goes by?
This is obviously more important than a visual/audio glitch or something.
People can’t log in. :weary:
I’m know there is a large que of problems the techs have to deal with, but this critical problem should be moving up as time goes on.

for 4 or 5 days now i still cant get on due to battle net being down or play in offline mode

1 Like

Phoenix, here’s how to get into offline mode: Starcraft 2 is saying battle net is down [Main Thread] - #342 by Benjamin-1650

ASH,

There is a known issue with certain kinds of progress being lost. Are you running into issues with your commander levels being reset? If so, this may be relevant: [Main Thread] - Commander Levels Reset - #131 by Kaldraydis

If that’s not what you’re experiencing, you may want to see if your progress returns once the game is able to sync your cloud data down from Battle.net.

EDIT: I originally posted an old thread that is being redirected. I have updated the link to the recommended thread.

I opened a support ticket on this. They said any updates will be posted in this thread.

In other words, the forum help states that this is not an offical place for help. But Support states that official updates will be posted here.

I don’t think anybody is actually looking at this issue…

I once again just got a write off on my support ticket. They linked me back to this forum post.

Hey there,

My name is Game Master Ianboryn,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and submit this ticket, I will gladly go ahead and take a look into this for you. I understand that you are contacting us regarding some issues accessing Starcraft II and getting a reported error message there is a Temporary Outage in the Battle.net Service still.

I did manage to look over that forums thread you provided and found quite a few other players are in fact receiving that same error message. I did go ahead and provide that same forum link once again for you below as there are some additional troubleshooting steps you can refer to there from both Customer Support articles and other players as well. In the meantime, once more there is ongoing scheduled maintenance with other titles but also the Battle.net at the moment. I would advise you allow this scheduled maintenance to complete and if you still encounter issues look towards this forum thread or our social media pages for any updates maybe posted there.

• https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/sc2/t/starcraft-2-is-saying-battle-net-is-down-main-thread/24308/356

If you feel you encountered something that wasn't working as intended we encourage you to submit an official bug report. This allows our development team to pull all similar reports for further investigation and issue a possible fix in the meantime. Please include as much details as possible, screenshots, or videos if possible. Due the amount of reports you will not receive a direct response afterwards.

• Bug Report - https://battle.net/support/article/15043 

Once again, I appreciate your time in reaching out to us and bringing this to my attention. If you need any further help, questions, or have any other concerns don't hesitate to reach back out to us. Please enjoy the rest of your day and above all stay safe out there! Best Regards,

Game Master Ianboryn
Blizzard Entertainment
http://battle.net/support
1 Like

There actually has been a fix already tested. It didn’t work, so they’re looking for another fix. I’ll check for where I saw the post–I believe it was one of Leviathan’s. If I find it, I’ll edit this message to include a link.

EDIT: Referenced link is When are the US Servers Coming Back Up? - #2 by Leviathan-1945

For the benefit of easy viewing, here’s the content of the referenced post, slightly edited for relevance:

As for ETA’s Bliz typically doesn’t give them. For example, they have already tried a fix which didn’t work. Had they given an ETA for that, it would have been for nothing. The vast majority of the time they announce a potential fix at the moment it’s released.

There have also been reports of a workaround that has worked for a few people. For me, personally, this did not work, but Juicy said it worked for them.

I did see one community post stating that tabbing out during the authentication screen helped them.

so is this there way of saying they are suspending support for sc2? as that is what it feels like. and if it is, it would be better to just be straight about it and come out and tell all of us.

So idk about others but i was having this problem and have been able to get in today…however my basic commanders are still lvl 5

I can’t speak to what Blizzard is specifically doing, but working in IT myself, it’s not uncommon for customer service/help desk groups to be giving a pointer to send new reports to. When a known problem that affects many people is active, it takes a lot of resources (time, manpower) to answer tickets for an issue that the organization already knows the customer support people won’t be able to fix. Rather than go through all the typical troubleshooting steps that they know won’t fix the problem, they give the customer a statement of the currently known information and point them to a place where they can go to get updates.

Some organizations have the ability to turn trouble tickets into problem tickets, which links all those tickets together for easy update. However, based on Blizzard pointing to this thread, I’m guessing this is what they’re using as their equivalent of a problem ticket.

Hey Zoey,

Your commander levels are covered under this thread: [Main Thread] - Commander Levels Reset - #131 by Kaldraydis

I too work in IT, and if a service is down for days on end, people’s asses are on the line.

Doesn’t seem to be the case here, so I think normal IT practices don’t apply to Blizzard.

2 Likes

Can’t disagree with you on outages being big trouble. I’d be very surprised, tho, if there’s not a major incident report within Blizzard that has executive visibility.

It’s also worth considering that, in typical IT circles, you can escalate to a vendor when you’re having trouble getting things fixed. Often, this escalation provides your engineers with access to a global pool of knowledge that includes a fix for what you’re experiencing. In this case, the Battle.net platform has no outside vendor they can escalate to–they wrote it themselves–so sometimes issues will come up that they have to dig into the weeds to truly understand.

Hey everyone, just for a bit of an update. I was able to get in about an hour ago.

No idea what did it. I just kind of set a macro to keep putting in my sign in, went to work out, and it got me in. So I think the best choice is to just brute force it maybe?

Unless they did something behind the scenes that they didn’t tell me about. So that’s the best advice I can give.

1 Like

I’ve been monitoring several threads for the last few days and this morning I’ve seen a spike in people (not a huge spike) saying they’ve been able to get in.

I find it terribly odd, that after 10 years - I come back to starcraft 2, re-install it, to find out I can’t play it because battle.net is down. I had no idea beforehand either.

2 Likes

Was still giving me the message it was down, but I got it to work for me somehow.

1. Login, but hit cancel on authentication
  2. Login again. For whatever reason, it let me in for a second, but then kicked me because ‘I was logged in on another computer’
  3. Login again, and this time it stuck.

Strangest thing.

2 Likes

I tried this, but it didn’t work for me. Any ideas of anything else to try?