Starcraft 2 is saying battle net is down [Main Thread]

I don’t understand why logging into a server is requisite to playing just the campaign - can someone explain?

6 Likes

Man. They where bought out and now this is happening. Come on guys get your crap together. 3+ days should be getting things done.

2 Likes

Similar issue, hope they can find a solution. Wondering if this has something to do with the recent Microsoft acquisition…

2 Likes

Well, the acquisition is still on paper (and under review, or soon-to-be under review by the FTC) and it’s not completed yet… So, personally, I think that it’s too early to have any changes on how Activision-Blizzard handle their internal processes/infrastructure.

But yeah, I think that you have raised a valid concern/point about what will happen when the acquisition is complete (probably next year?), and how Activision-Blizzard current processes/infrastructure will be integrated into Microsoft’s/XBOX’s processes/infra, if they will be continue independently, or something in-between.

1 Like

Same issue here, this is getting frustrating with little to no updates. I can play on Europe or Asia no problem but all my coop levels get reset and no thanks to that

Hey everyone,

This thread has gotten a bit off track so I want to step in and clarify a few things and reset what you should expect from a community support forum.

First as implied by that description. This forum is for community based technical troubleshooting in regards to Starcraft II. For players to discuss and help other players. This is how all our forums operate and always have.

Green Posters are community fans who have volunteered their time to assist with that. They do this for the community to help you all.

We Blue Posters can have different roles from Liaison, to Moderator to folks like myself that try to come in on occasion and offer technical assistance were we can. However most technical support from Blizzard will typically come from direct ticket submissions to our support department. Troubleshooting issues via forums is a bit more limited.

Now as for the specific issue at hand. It is an account level service issue that we are aware of and have been able to replicate. It is being looked into but may take some time to fully figure out and resolved. There is no ETA because the investigation is ongoing.

It is not affecting everyone and for the most part it appears to be limited to the Americas Servers.

When we get any updates to the investigation or a solution is published. We will update this post.

There is no current troubleshooting you can do on your end for this issue and it is a matter of waiting until our engineers can complete their investigation and provide the solution to the issue.

I’ll leave this thread open for continued discussion but do keep things civil. This is absolutely a frustrating situation and one we hope to have figured out as soon as possible. We get it but try to keep things civil. Forum code of conduct still applies even when things break.

Keep watch for updates as we get them.

11 Likes

I can’t get on either. Can’t play with the family. Everyone else in the house can get on, but my account can’t. They can log on from my computer, and theirs, I can’t from any. Would love to talk to tech support…But no way to do that. Can’t create a ticket, because it wants me to upload things I don’t know how to upload. So instead of getting to play SC2 with my kids and husband for my birthday last night I went to bed. Tried again this morning…no change. Just the stupid Battle.net is offline message, that again NO ONE else gets. We don’t play that often but it would be nice if you could just login and play instead of all these stupid hoops. Would love help but again THERE IS NO ACTUAL WAY TO CONTACT A LIVE HUMAN IN YOUR TECH SUPPORT DEPARTMENT.

5 Likes

Still can’t log in from Chile after the whole weekend, I wonder if we would be able to play the next weekend

I appreciate the response and i imagine so do many others. However seeing that this happens every year to people who have been absent from gameplay for anything longer than 30 days it seems to me that is where the issue is. please pass that and another solution to the issue that i have suggested because these are both effective solutions to the problem. removing the need to log in to battle.net for private play and solo play. Seeing that this issue has been prevalent and seems to always happen when a sudden surge of returning players occurs or when ad based sales happen to spike. the outdated method of requiring online access just to play story mode (which is 85% of the content of SC2) which is also specifically single player is arbitrary and where the actual issue is present, and causes the same issue i encounter and have encountered year after year. The fact is Battle.net access should only be required for online open play. not to reauthenticate and update or anything like that, that is all client side stuff and should only be client side. This is the same issue i pointed out last year and the year before that and the year before that all the way back to Battle net requiring secondary authentication, which only came about after the announcement of Heart of the swarm. the initial release of Wings of Liberty offline mode was easier to access and never needed to authenticate beyond inputting the digital license key. So removing the secondary and completely arbitrary authentication necessity would solve the issue for all but those who only play for the MMO features.

Sorry for writing a book on the topic but this is completely on point as to the heart of the problem. We as Solid Star Craft franchise fans will always respect titular ownership of the brand, but we typically prefer to access what we have already sank a sizeable amount of money and time into supporting without needing to ask B-net for permission every time we are gone for a few months with work or other life events. So with this I am acting as tech support for your tech support. you want to fix the issue everyone is complaining about? Well this will do it.

13 Likes

Same problem here. I get a message about Battle.net services having a temporary outage. Haven’t played in ~10 months before I tried to log in today. Disappointing that I won’t be able to play.

1 Like

Is there any way we can get Coop profiles to be shared across regions? I don’t see any reason why those shouldnt carry over between regions. Would at least provide a temporary fix for many of us who want to play coop with friends from other regions.

2 Likes

Same problem here. I’m from South America and I haven’t played in a couple of months. Opened Battle.net, updated the client, opened the game and got the “temporary outage” message during the authentication step.

EU server worked fine, so I guess I’ll get some Wings of Liberty campaign achievements :man_shrugging:

I tried WiFi and tethered 4g, so it doesn’t seem to be a networking problem.

Have been getting this error for a couple days now. I have tried restarting the computer. I have uninstalled Starcraft II. I have tried using the Beta Battle.net client. I can connect to both Asia and EU zones, just not Americas.

Yeah you can’t even play the game offline on the US server if you have been gone for more than 30 days. This is definitely the heart of the issue. I’m not sure why I even need to login to a service meant for online features just to play the campaign. The campaign should be available for everyone, not just those connected to your terrible service Blizzard. Not everyone desires to socialize with others online or even interact with them. We just wanna play Starcraft II. Remove the need for your stupid client for the single player stuff.

3 Likes

Please, please, escalate this up to the proper team to get eyes on it. This is a big issue. Don’t undermine this. There are a LOT of folks who simply can’t log in and play the game for the past 3 days. This is bad.

3 Likes

I have been running into the same issue. I have been unable to play on the American servers, but I have been able to play on Europe.

1 Like

Imagine having a 3 day old issue (AT LEAST!) where possibly thousands of people can’t login to your game… and not having ANY solutions, not even a workaround.

Watch this be fixed mid Monday. I highly doubt anyone as Blizzard is even bothering to look into this. SC2 is not a money maker for them so why spend the resources to fix it over a weekend. They’ll get their lazy engineers in on Monday morning to look into this problem.

2 Likes

Also can’t login into the American servers, been at least a year since I last played.

StarCraft is one of a kind, and we’re committed to making sure that those of you who love this universe like we do have a home here for many years to come.

I didn’t expect SC2 to be supported forever but this seems a bit premature.

5 Likes

I am a returning player that reinstalled this evening to try and play with a friend of mine. They can log in fine; I cannot. This is on the Americas. They’ve logged in recently and I haven’t for over a year (at least). Hopefully this helps and is resolved soon as our game night has been delayed now.

2 Likes