[Protoss] Your favorite Protoss - The Poll

They do. They look like Khalai. If you want to stick to races, you got Nerazim, Khalai (Aiuri) and Tal’Darim which are even colour coded for your convenience.

Greeks and Scots are the same race, yet they looo pretty different.

1 Like

Pretty much. While the tribal bloodlines do have some minor visible traits associated with them (the Shelak tribe sometimes has a slight purple tint to their skin. Sometimes) its not terribly pronounced except in odd cases. The differences between the various subcultures of protoss are far more pronounced, since they developed on different planets entirely, under wildly different conditions.

Tell that to Trick, not me.

I don’t need it.

I was elaborating on your post, not offering a retort. Sorry.

No problemo, just directing the energy.

That’s technically a retcon. Originally the khalai tribes each had distinct pigmentations. In fact, this retcon was recently and surprisingly reversed when the Blizzard twitter said that tribal bloodlines have distinct pigmentations.

The art direction has never been too consistent so this wasn’t shown in the SC1 era except vaguely in protoss portraits having distinct pigmentations (mostly whitewashed by SCR).

In SC1, the different protoss factions were each one of the tribes. Blue was Sargas, orange was Auriga, red was Ara, etc… The unit portraits weren’t intended to showcase different tribal bloodlines across the units, because the units are not divides into different tribes.

Well pigmentation pales when compared to the physiological differences between the actual races. Pun intended.

It’s a superficial difference. Literally and figuratively.

Then what were the different skin colors intended for?

The lore states that different protoss tribes have obviously different skin colors, akin to human races. This is maybe or maybe not distinct from the colors the game paints on armor.

I chalked this up to inconsistent art direction. Development was quite tumultuous according to interviews.

That’s not what I mean.

The lore states different tribes have distinct skin pigmentation akin to human races. This is not consistent in the art direction across the games, comics, and books.

To add some visual variety to the portraits, so that they didn’t all look identical? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

That’s because youre expexting differences akin to African versus European skin tones, and not “purplish blue versus bluish purple” differences. The problem is with your assumptions, not with the lore. Youre looking at the difference between a Norwegian and a German man, not between a Swede and an Ethiopian.

The lore literally states: “The most distinguishable aspect of the [Khala] Tribes is that each sect of Protoss has its own unique skin shades ranging from mottled grey to a dark, aphotic blue.”

The khala portraits and artwork in SC1 have a variety of skin colors: green, orange, purple, white, etc. The comics depict light brown, lime green, pinkish, dark blue, reddish, etc. Are you going to dismiss that as evidence?

Blizzard’s lore is incoherent. How can you be sure that your interpretation is always correct when your foundation is sand? Do you have encyclopedic knowledge of the lore? Do you recognize any inconsistencies or retcons? How do you resolve that?

I’m currently being called away so I don’t think I’ll reply much more today. Bye!

Its technically evidence, sure, but we already have the game explicitly telling you that all forces with a yellow faction color are from the Velari tribe, blue is the Sargas tribe, red is Ara, etc… So when the game explicitly says X, just because you have a data point that isn’t in conflict with Y doesn’t actually mean Y.

Did you call the Cigar of Mengsk?

1 Like

That is not “just” a cigar.

1 Like

“Gameplay and story segregation” is a trope.

Whats your point? The faction names aren’t gameplay, theyre entirely aesthetic elements used for the story, at least in the original game. Mar Sara is blue, Antiga is purple, Mengsk’s Elite Guard are red, Alpha Squadron is white, etc… it all matches up. Aldaris and the judicators we fight against are the red Ara tribe, which is a judicator tribe, and I believe their tribal colors are even called out in the manual, along with the tribal symbol, which later shows up on a banner in the Hierarchy.

The Auriga (orange) tribe fights against us in the Templar Rebellion, despite being a templar tribe, and yet we can still make air units. Heck, the tribal proclivities actually even come into play in the original game, with the Sargas (blue) tribe being assassins and precision strikers used in the Fleet of the Executor, while the Akilae tribe (teal) acts as the main army in the fleet on Char, and in the Vanguard of Aiur later on.

That’s gameplay and story segregation

But theyre not segregated? The gameplay matches the story.

1 Like

This is an example of gameplay and story segregation. If the Auriga is your foe, then you shouldn’t have air units.

No, that’s my point. The Auriga tribe is not the only tribe that commands air units, they just have the most. The Fleet of the Executor, in spite of the name, does not have any substantial presence from the Auriga tribe either.

2 Likes