Observations of Mengsk After Nerf

The problem is healer AI is really bad, and needs some redesign. Arcturus has it the worst, but its a problem with all of them.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any problems with Mengsk in post-nerf Brutal: he just can’t speed run the first objective like he could before.

Using early Mandate for Bunkers instead of calldowns on everything also helps his build-up, both in extra troopers and dropping bunkers to tank.

Exactly. Current Healer AI makes them move too far forward if there isn’t anyone to heal. The healer AI needs to make them stay in formation with other units.

Honestly? I like the change. I often felt kind of like I was cheating with mengsk’s free expansion. Kind of lessened the experience for me.

Now I almost always start off with my first’s bunker’s labororer’s in my main, fast-saturating it and then rushing to put up expo. With the increased mandate generation, I’ll have a second bunker cooldown in time for 1st wave, even if I don’t have propaganda up yet. Throw in a couple SCVs, maybe quickly equip a couple of the bunker troopers with weapons- and I have the start of my army(although I usually use those 6 troopers to help finish teaching or build some quick supply)

I’ve weaned myself away from earth splitters. Again, they lessen the experience. I like to have at least a few for contaminated strike, though- and on many maps I DO build 4.

I can push any map without earthsplitters by leaning more heavily on dogs of war/nuke IN CONJUNCTION with my trooper/guard army while I build them up.

Most maps I either mass ranks or Vikings with my gas. I often throw in a pride of augustgrad or a thor, depending on what benefits I want. Some maps I mass BCs, but I prefer Vikings.

I don’t really play brutal+, only brutal, so I can’t speak for imitators. But mengsk is PLENTY strong enough in regular brutal- and his army is incredibly powerful if you’re conscious of what you’re facing and use your cooldowns for hard pushes.

2 Likes

Wait what?

Ok, first I see almost everyone complaining that Mengsk’s Medivacs are always too far BACK to heal.

Now you are saying that they are too far FORWARD?

And meanwhile I find that they occasionally (not often) get stuck a little bit too far back, but overall find the healer AI totally fine for them.

2 Likes

This one is super juicy, considering Mengsk is able to be 200/200 with 2/2 upgrades, 1-2 rank 3 BCs and 300-400 mandate generation at 10 minute mark on non guarded expo maps…

Show me those Mengsks on random queue

4 Likes

Aaaand here we go! So its not about Mengsk being slow and weak and nerfed, its about “git gud”. Thats what I though. Mengsk has quite high skill ceiling. Either accept that, or play another commander, if he is beyond your skill level. Just dont lie.

4 Likes

I play H&H. I don’t play Mengsk after I tried him after the patch. You went through all my comments and did not notice me posting multiple times that I talk about my experience with random Mengsk players on brutal queue?
What triggered you so hard? What went wrong in your life that you need to shove random people in the face how good you are in a silly game?
Ok I admit you’re amazing at coop if that makes your Christmas. You got my seal of approval. I would pat your head if you stand next to me.
I don’t know who hurt you but I hope the spirit of Christmas will heal your soul.

2 Likes

Mate, im fine. I just dont like people who are lying, whining and blaming others for their own failure. So hopefully Christmas spirit will help you with those isssues. Good luck.

8 Likes

Assuming you want to rush straight to BCs. Usually I prefer to spend my gas on tanks or ghosts depending on what I’m facing.

2 Likes

Honestly I never understood why Mengsk’s command centers don’t have the reactor ability. He’d be the best Terran to have it because of the reliance on Troopers/Laborers.

6 Likes

Just build macro enlistment centers. You have more than enough minerals and you can throw them up wlin just a few seconds pulling from you mineral line or standing army.

I can upload several replays of the same issue showing slow ally Mengsk as you describe.

Just yesterday on Part and Parcel I fought first and second Moebius Hybrid alone. At that time (around 12 minutes) he was still just building his second Pride and second Blackhammer. I had to fight 2x objectives alone, collect parts and defend our expos.

Overall this was really a nice nerf (/s) for a commander that was originally designed to have strong early presence.

Everybody sane knew that.

It’s just the kids here that hate variety and any different playstyle. The kids can’t comprehend bigger picture so simply when they see full saturation in 2 minutes they go hysteria. They don’t need any more clues and investigation for WHY this commander was able to do this so quickly. The kids don’t ask why; they straight ask for nerfs.

I can wholeheartedly sign that.

1 Like

Not to mention they provide supply. Why wouldn’t you want around 4-6 CC’s pumping out troops?

1 Like

Ouch! Though I do wonder if that was the player rather than the CO. Off the top of my head I think he should have had at least two zerg calldowns and a nuke in that time.

1 Like

Dudes Mengsk is not OP, twice in chain of accession i barely just took out the first Hybrid (on hard). Even with a zergling dog of war, they are no match for hybrids AOE attacks. Anything AOE will demolish Mengsk, and if he loses his buffer (marines) then he will lose his elite guard on Brutal+

Late game everyone halfway decent with a CO is OP, but even then with mengsk you need to tread carefully cause his Marines will be wiped out and you NEED to rely on dogs of war to breach objectives and bases. if you go up that ramp and come against a Hybrid Behemoth then your gonna come out of that fight with one hell of a black eye and some severe bleeding.

RE BUFF Mengsk!!! his early boom is his only bonus, the rest is just gravy by the point they become good.

5 Likes

Also whats this i hear about healer AI, why does Tychus medic not have that?

1 Like

Have you tried using Flamer troops backed up with Royal Guard doing the damage against AOE?

It seems far less fragile to those waves, though it does lower his DPS.

He can also always use Earthsplitters to soften up bases, salvaging them when they’ve served their purpose.

You may want to look at this:

1 Like