My favorite aspect of the campaigns

Fair point. In my honest opinion, TrickyHunter’s work is not as good as Blizzard’s.

For me personally, I like that the Zerg and Protoss are like two titans going at each other. They’re almost even match, which is why any factor like arrogance and overextended could spell doom to either one. I like for the Terran to cringing on like a cockroach or mosquito. They could tip the scale; not because they’re strong, but because it’s that close.

The Mexican standoff that TrickyHunter wants? I don’t like it.

Where’s his work published? I’d like to read into it, but he pretty much ignores everything I say and never answers me, so I’m asking you.

You could even read the emperor’s and my comment on it, too! Naturally, you should comment as well. Maybe, it will move the discussion along to some other aspect.

Thank you, brother, I will give it a thorough read.

I’ll forget it when I’m dead!

4 Likes

You mean, sister.

By the way, watch out, you might get banned for necroing. Heh.

I can feel the hatred of ten thousand years in there gradius.

3 Likes

Eh, y’all are brothers, even if some of you’s is sisters.

Now, when I’m listening to his VA 3 hours a day, I hear that line so vividly, despite not hearing the line itself for years.

You should watch some Heroes of the Storm WTF moment videos. Its practically a tradition of them to have Illidan use his global charge attack and get pwned by something in transit these days.

I already did several times. I wrote fanfiction, original fiction, google docs. It never went anywhere. Nobody cared.

While collating my ideas, I went out of my way to preserve the definition of StarCraft you mentioned. I just said my basic idea is essentially copying the End War with tweaks and ignoring everything else. What, precisely, makes you think my efforts defy your definition? How is it totally different?

I have nowhere else to go. I have nobody else to engage with.

This is a retcon introduced by SC2. In the SC1 game and manual, the zerg were invading of their own volition because they were galactic space monsters.

Crappy stories. Blizzard simply can’t write well. The licensed fiction remains consistently serviceable at worst (if read in isolation), but the game plots are mediocre at best and only got worse with every installment. SC2 is the nadir so far.

Okay, then the correct term is alternate universe. I want to find other people interested in discussing that. I don’t want to keep wasting my time criticizing canon; that’s not constructive.

I published a google doc to collect and present my ideas. It does not burn the canon story to the ground and rebuild from the ashes. Have you read it?

I don’t remember, actually.

I have made revisions. If you have feedback then I would like to hear it.

What story? I never wrote a story. I wrote, and still write, a pitch. A pitch is not a story and it is not fair or sensible to treat it like one.

Not surprising since I didn’t write a story. Blizzard sets a really low bar to begin, so you aren’t making yourself look good by praising their writing.

I have no recollection of this, and it’s irrelevant anyway because I never wrote a story. I wrote a pitch.

In isolation that huge list of tactics is sensible, and I do praise it on its own merits. Unfortunately, this is Blizzard we’re talking about. I talked to an educated military historian and he dismissed StarCraft as bad writing. Even if the tactics make sense in isolation, and almost certainly not intentionally by Blizzard, the story is still terrible.

Especially SC2. There are loads of articles tearing it apart in terms of story, characters, logistics, etc. The only way it makes sense is by doublethinking your way around the nonsense.

Nothing. Just please don’t pretend the writing is more than mediocre. I’d be far less cantankerous if you guys were honest about the bad writing and could separate it from the quality of the gameplay. The gameplay is indeed fun; the story is terrible.

Nothing, besides suggest you go make your own stuff to suit your tastes.

This isn’t perfectionism, not by a long shot.

I do. The gameplay, that is. The story is mediocre.

Especially considering I wrote no story to begin with. A pitch is not a story, it’s not even prose.

A pitch is not a story. I haven’t written any prose fiction or programmed any missions.

Blizzard didn’t ruin my childhood. I barely remember it.

I think Blizzard is bad at storytelling and the fans can do better.

What work? A pitch is not a story. It is not prose fiction. It is not a game mission. A pitch is an assorted collection of ideas.

It’s like comparing a photo of a building to a physical building.

That’s not canon. The canon is not consistent about the capabilities of the sides. Sometimes the zerg are overpowered, sometimes not. The protoss are always wimpy in comparison to zerg and terrans. The terrans are wildly inconsistent, sometimes weaker than zerg or protoss and sometimes stronger than both.

Given the responses from you guys, I seriously question how well you think you know the lore. It’s wildly inconsistent at the best of times, even without deliberate retcons.

As I said before, that was never my pitch in the first place and my pitch isn’t set in stone Either. I’m open to new ideas, or even maintaining multiple pitches with different goals.

The comments are very old and my pitch has undergone loads of revisions since then.

The pitch has been extensively revised since those comments were made, so they’re no longer valid.

I watches the last ep.

I still watch Darhoru and Sunglasses.

Actually I no longer play HotS for a sole reason. They got no support for 32y

I don’t mean the document, I mean the way you speak here.

As I said, I tend to get emotional and that clouds my judgement and impedes my articulation.

My pitch recycles so much of canon. Even things I originally hated with a few tweaks.

What I haven’t yet written are options for scaling the relative power levels. The posters here have wildly different ideas of what StarCraft is and few agree.

Well my life philosophy is that it’s important to know our faults, because life is an endless quest for self-improvement.

People often disagree with another. That is the way it goes.

3 Likes

Yeah, but some people act as if they’re omniscient and speak for everyone. That confuses me.

I mean, you don’t seem to have any problem speaking with authority when you criticize Blizzard’s writing. The fact that StarCraft 2 sold millions of copies would seem to suggest that a majority of people found it at least tolerable enough to want more.

1 Like

You definitely seem to place more importance on setting & worldbuilding than plot.

Its the cannon now and a rather big part of it that the zerg are more then just space monsters whose sole motivation is whipping out everyone else. And that is something blizzard seems to have had it in for from the start by infesting kerrigan. To give the player some connection to the horde of flesh they are now controlling.

Blizzard had some good stories from time to time the Nova comics are good and the plot from the Covert Ops mission packs was for a RTS quiet well done. Not that RTS will ever be the hight of story telling in video games

I fall into that hole all the time with what I’m writing. I am usually pretty good at creating the setting, and I have many plot ideas as well, but I am not good at writing them out.

Edit:

Ever wanna talk/chat about your ideas? I find it much more easy to digest something if I can talk it out while I am reading it. Lets my imagination run wild as well, which is essential for free thinking. Also, what’s not valid?