My favorite aspect of the campaigns

A probe of culture I see.

If you want everyone extinct in the end then starcraft isn’t the setting for you, neither is warhammer in that regard because plot armour tends to be so dam thick for certain characters cough Space Marines cough that it makes the adamantium plates over terra look like sheets of tissue paper.

Starcraft 1 did not end up with everyone dead not even in the slightest with the only permanent dead character I can remember on top of my head being tassadar. And if anything set a theme of what starcraft story is supposed to be then it’s probably the first installment.

Technically Overmind.

Ah right forgot the hungry one.

Fenix, DuGulle, Aldaris and so much more.

And Billy, my very first marine. He fought bravely. Although, I wish he would fire his rifle instead of just walking into the enemy base.

2 Likes

Those guys died in brood war tough not the base game. Well fenix took a beating but he didn’t die

1 Like

Ah, then all those Cerebrates.

Fenix doesn’t die, Fenix is a state of mind.

1 Like

Upvoted for Billy. 20

Forgot about them. Shows how much interest I have in the zerg I guess.

Funny with how the faction that lost the most characters was the Zerg swarm.

Thank you for offering. However, I am so contemptuous of the canon that any such story would take potshots at canon at every opportunity. I’m talking things like the Confederacy, Overmind, and Khala surviving just fine outside of Koprulu sector, while reducing Koprulu to a footnote in a galactic war. There’s no reason canon would disallow that, since Blizz pulls new civilizations from the woodwork all the time. Not to mention all the retcons.

As I said, compatibility with canon is a waste of time because the canon is a foundation of wet sand. Let me know if you changed your mind after SC3 comes out with another round of retcons.

What alternate universe do you live in that StarCraft makes a lick of sense, and how can I move there?

Precisely as I said. The critics steadily left when it became clear the story wasn’t worth investment.

My point is that the constant wars without consequences aren’t interesting. They’re vapid. Setting an entire franchise during a single war that ultimately ends in apocalypse is better in my IMO than pointlessly drawing it out forever.

You assume there will be SC3 :P’

We criticize the story, but not all of its aspects and we have different reasoning.

3 Likes

I can’t say there have been no consequences. Some rather drastic ones have happened for at least two of the factions, even the third one.

You make it sound like annihilation is something desirable for any faction. Wasting life, wasting resources, for something that in the end might gain them nothing is not something a rational actor would do. It also ends the story it ends all potential for interesting things to happen, it wastes the setting away without any chance for improvment.

1 Like

Do I need to repeat myself? Starcraft’s gameplay and its campaigns feature a laundry list of actual military tactics and strategies used in modern warfare. The only thing it really lacks is cover mechanics.

Or they moved on from a story that didn’t fit their tastes. Which I still recommend you do, since you seem to despise virtually every aspect of Starcraft’s storytelling.

2 Likes

Several news sites recently had articles claiming the SC2 devs want to make SC3.

I don’t criticize everything. Only some things.

I just had a discussion with Kelthar a couple days ago where I tried to keep Mengsk’s arc in episode 1 while tweaking it so that the zerg aren’t written as a convenient contrivance devoid of agency. While I think his arc happened way too fast and he was reduced to a caricature, the basic plot of episode 1 is serviceable and easily the strongest of the trilogy.

The whole shtick of the zerg was that they eat entire worlds, entire civilizations, improving themselves by doing so, and have been doing so for countless millennia. That you think the zerg shtick does otherwise only goes to show that Blizzard has rendered their own setting unrecognizable from itself through excessive retcons.

StarCraft suffers from sequelitis and retcons because this is Blizzard. They have no end in mind but just make things up as they go along forever. That is wasting the setting already. It’s repetitive and soulless, like a zombie.

I’m not saying the canon story should end. I want to discuss a fanfic AU with better writing, where we aren’t beholden to Blizzard’s idiosyncrasies. Interesting things can still happen.

Look, would you guys understand me better if I said that I wanted to write an original universe but due to budget restrictions I have to recycle Starcraft’s assets and lore?

I take issue with a few of your statements, like the UED not knowing of the fate of their fleet even though they have a spy network that should inform them, but I don’t have interest in pointlessly arguing with you.

While you might see valid military tactics, I highly doubt Blizz intentionally tried to write them well. In several missions the gimmicks feel nonsensical, like Warfield sending gorgons one by one through a gorge to be destroyed.

But I digress.

And I gave you several reasons why I can’t do that, and not for lack of trying.

My fanfiction garnered no interest. My original fiction garnered no interest. There are no alternatives I could move to and find like-minded fans.

Your suggestion is pointless and insensitive. I might as well jump off a bridge, since that would be more productive.

I don’t. I like the lore and assets well enough to recycle it largely unchanged.

Long story short: erase every war except the End War. Replace Amon with Overmind who ate him. Zerg victory = everyone dies, while terran/protoss survival = zerg extinction.

That’s hardly unrecognizable from your previous definition of StarCraft.

I don’t think they will make a StarCraft 3. If they do, I expect equal representation between the Dominion, the Combine and Umoja. Won’t happen though.

Edit:

I’d play this game. Especially if it had in-faction conflicts as well.

If you want to rewrite the whole plot of Starcraft and create a totally different story, then just do it and get it over with. You’re getting nowhere by arguing with people who like the original storyline, or by bashing the story’s plot points for petty and often unsubstantiated reasons.

Your posts tell me, loud and clear, that you’re not the story’s intended audience. So what are you still doing here?

4 Likes

Once the zerg had one objective that trumped all other and that was the destruction of the protoss. But that changed with the death of the overmind and cerebrates. And with amon dead the swarm doesn’t have a direct need for conflict. They have a desire to evolve and do that without getting whipped out, since that would be a waste.

End in what context, end of a story or an end to the setting. Cause those are two different things and are very much unrelated. The Amon story for example is done, it has a beginning and an End and something in between. Good and Bad things about it are up for debate but that is the hole stick.

Starcraft as a setting still has the potential for more stories though.

Then its not rely an original universe more of a alternate universe.

Kerrigan literally says that he can’t send more then one due to the sheer size of those bloody things.

1 Like

Yeah, well… We know… You’re not here yesterday. I still recall your AU thread vividly. The Probe Emperor and I even engage with you in earnest back then, remember? We criticize you and you dismiss us with thing like not my canon and this is what I want.

You really need to learn to take some feedback!

This is going to sound very harsh so don’t take it too personally. If people don’t interested in your work, then maybe the problem is that your work is not interesting?

Look, we had read your story. It has some potential, but ultimately it’s not that good. And I’m sorry to say this. I’m aware about your depression, but you need to face the truth. Your work is not as good as Blizzard’s. As for the reason why specifically, our Emperor already told you. And I agree.

I tried to view your work as a stand alone and forgot everything about StarCraft. It’s still not as good as Blizzard’s.

Seriously? He just Point you into a very valid point and you just dismiss it? This is extremely biased; do you aware?

Also, if Warfield release all his Gorgons at the same time, how could you win? Will you or anyone be able to play that mission? Gameplay has to come first. That’s just how it has to be. I enjoy that mission. And yes, if I think too hard about it; the size excuse is flawed, but so what?

I don’t like this premise. This is my taste. My highly subjective taste, what can you do about it?

Here is a thing, you’re not the only one with autism. I have a bit of it, too. Not at your level, perhaps, but enough to hindered my ability to socialize. I also think and over analyze stuff to the point where it’s madness. In the end, you have to rein in your perfectionism and take the world for what it is; flaw and all. Enjoy the game, that’s why it was created!

2 Likes

That’s up for debate.

Well, until he finishes it. I guess it’s up for debate.

But for the sake of neutrality, you gotta forget your beef with Blizzard that they ruined your childhood.