Let's talk counter play for drilling claw drops

Observers are much faster than that relative to Widow Mines even without the speed upgrade.

And how does that help any of those?

• A siege mode will not help with having half the speed of a widow mine.
  • I see nothing protecting you from a scan in that ability
  • that ability does not make obs immune to splash damage from shooting at any other unit the Protoss has.
1 Like

Fine, it was an exaggeration, the actual ratio is 2.63 vs. 3.94 speed.

Still a lot slower than a mine. Let alone a medivac carrying a mine.

1 Like

That’s pure random factor , a story that you memorized.

Reminds me of Polt vs Scarlett (?) match, in hots:
He has widow mines burried. A too big force of zerg comes, He uploades all his army into medivacs but the widow mines. His Medivacs get destroyed from the widow mine splash (they were damaged before but not heavily).

That scene got repeated everywhere, hilarious. There must be a youtube video about it (of course), couldn’t find too quick.

Never seen that again.

are you serious? disruptor are super heavy micro unit. landing a hit with those is super hard, why the payoff is big. landing a hit with a widow mine is 0 apm brainded and almost guaranteed to trade efficiently before ~5 mins against protoss. by the time we get disruptor, u already have everything to counter it, by the time you get widow mines, we got nothing that can touch it without it trading efficiently.

2 Likes

I press 3 and f or v to launch the bombs of disruptors at the right position of course cutting the opponents fleeing path. Pretty easy. Considering there is an army so the enemy can’t simply dance (but only those few units) - in which case it would be even skill perhaps pressing ‘stop’ on your missile bomb. Woo. Well sorry, actually not because the disruptor missile bombs move hilariously fast. It’s easier to hit stuff with them them than to avoid them.
→ Protoss easy.

Widow mines? I have to unburrow but be careful of which ones to unburrow not all I have to then spread them a bit and again not all run into positions shift burrow repeat that a bit. Then a disruptor shot comes. Outranging it - dead. Oh noes A storm flies in, my perfectly spread widow mines get hit, lets unburrow them all and then retreat negating their awesome spread that I might want vs other units. Back and forth back and forth. Damn great is a Storm vs widow mines moving into their positions even.

=> Did I talk of other units having to do stuff? No.
=> is there counter play to drilling claws? Ehm what did I just write?
=> is it easy? Give me what you smoke.

you are totally missing the point my dude. sure storm and disruptor counter mass widow mines, as they should. but neither of em will be on the field by the time u get them, there is no counter play to something that is guaranteed to trade efficiently, even when scouted and anticipated is the point im making. disruptor shots much easier to avoid than widow mines in general, since they always happen during battle, and by the time they’re on the field u already got the tools to deal with it.

3 Likes

The counter to the drilling claw upgrade is simple. You have to do 2 things:

1. Destroy the tech lab.
  2. Destroy the armory.

A wittle 'ol muta can destroy both of these. Or send a single corruptor and activate the micturition skill on them. Easy.

For the mines already in the field with the upgrade, simple use the flying supply detector thingy and a single hydra. Easy. So easy.

ForGG vs Stephano.

It is one of my favourite moments of that entire expansion XD

1 Like

The point of this thread is there is no counter play, aka there is no realistic “micro” you can do. If you pull your probes before the medivac is even over your mineral line, it can just follow your probes, drop a mine, and no matter what micro you do, it’s going to kill all of them.

It’s the most asinine thing I’ve seen in this game, sans invincible nydus.

And the disruptor equivalent would be if I just walk a disruptor, by itself, up to your army, well within its range, and then I just launch a shot and kill all of your units a microsecond after launching shot. While you’re busying raging and cussing so loud that your mom has to come slap you, I’m just like “brah… you gotta work on your micro dawg. LOL.”

If I have to attempt to take my probes off mining, despite having a cannon and my army there… then the unit is way too OP, at least in this aspect. You can’t have cheap units or any unit that can guarantee shutting down a mineral line, be it for 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

The widow mine with drilling claws is a stasis ward that goes off instantly and then it also kills all of the workers it trapped. If it’s balanced/fair/good design, then nothing has ever been badly designed in this game or been unfair.

So this is why we see drilling claws drop as an opening every single game?

1 Like

No but seeing mine drops all game loing off of shift commands isn’t uncommon and it very, very powerful.

I’d argue that if CHargelots are getting nerfed because they’re not very skilled and deal too much damage, then the Widow Mine also needs to be nerfed. I’d take away the +shield damage it has.

Chargelots are getting nerfed because theyre too strong.

Mine + shield damage would not impact mine drops wich youre complaining about so its kind of irelevant.

Also im curious what tvp games youre watching where its common to do mine drops the entire game trough shift commands and im assuming since its so powerfull terrans always win or gets ahead.

1 Like

Mine drops with +shield damage can kill the stuff that is supposed to kill them. I don’t care about them gibbing probe lines if I can throw a Zealot into it to soak the double mine fire.

Chargelots aren’t too strong. Just like several Terran allins, Chargelot allins are strong but not broken. My point is that Mines and Chargelots are both relatively low skill, high damage units. By Blizzard logic, both should be nerfed. Or neiother should be nerfed.

Chargelots are being nerfed because theyre too strong in pvt, this has been agreed by most if not all top level protoss and terran players.

Also mines require you to burrow them wich is already more micro than zealots so its not the same level of micro, also top level terrans need to target fire with the mines to get maximum value so again more micro.

You mean you put zealots into the mineral line so you lose probes and zealots, because you already stated you cannot pull workers away from these drops.

Frankly, most Terran pros are dense. Super dense. And a bit arrogant.

You know what beats fast chargelots? Bio+Mine+Raven for dorito cannon.

You know what shuts down Warp Prisms? 2 VIkings or 1 Raven with enough energy for Interference Matrix.

Or if you went mech, Hellbats. Hellbats shaft Chargelots hard.

Or if you went Skyterran, a few safety tanks and Liberators shut down Chargelots as well.

Or choke points.

Or hell, even Cyclones if it’s rushed charge.

Lots of ways to deal with chargelots that I see from D3 to M1 players on ladder and yet pros can’t be bothered to use real counters…

Nobody but plat baddies a moves chargelots. You have to split them, tell small groups in the greater ball to attack specific target, micro for surrounds, do the charge kiting trick everytime charge is off cooldown, etc.

Mines are pretty much hold shift, click and burrow with mine drops being slightly more involved since you also have to shift click your medivac drop. SO yeah, I don;t think you know much about the interactions with Chargelots mate.

I never stated you can’t pull workers, Playa said that - and he’s wrong. The problem is the braindead execution of the drop which WILL cause damage no matter what provided the medivac unloads. Either you throw away 2 probes or you throw away 2 zealots. If I can at least micro my probes away and throw a zealot into the mines, that is reasonable counter play for mine drops.

1 Like

Ty for providing absolute proof that youre a biased idiot that have no idea what youre talking about.

Plz swap to terran and win blizzcon with your insane knowledge of tvp that not even the best terrans in the world posses, since according to you its extremely easy and the only reason terrans lose in this matchup is that they have no idea what theyre doing.

1 Like

I knew you’d say something completely devoid of intelligence.

We have a storied history of Terran being stubborn and not knowing their stuff in the pro scene. Remember how pros were whinging when 8 armor ultras wrecked Marines yet pros wouldn’t build anything but MMM and engaged them in the freaking open. On creep.

Or how about when Terran pros kept insisting the Liberator was balanced when it had to be nerfed several times just for Zerg to have a chance off of anything but fast spire? Keep in mind the Liberator was BUGGED during this time.

Or how about when Terran whinged at blink allins being too strong (they kinda were) but didn;t factor in that the map pool back in early HotS was what made blink allin overpowered…

I can keep going. Terran at the top level has a long history of idiocy. Not that Zerg and Protoss don;t have their pros being idiot moments…but the Terran examples are the most glaring at the top.

Knowing the counters and being able to execute them are very different skills. How the heck do you not understand that? I aint winning a GSL anytime soon.

And yes, Terrans in general are idiots. It’s only recently that they started using their tools for TvP properly…hell, Bio Mine Raven wasn’t really meta until recently…despite it shutting down any fast tech play and amping Marine damage massively…and that was a no brainer strategy to bust out given how powerful IM is vs Protoss early on…

P.S. forgot my favorite example of Terran being stubborn and it being a detriment to the game; the Tankivac. Pros ate that crap up and it was one of the worst things to ever happen in sc2.

1 Like

They wrecked Marauders too at the time, which was frankly the bigger issue.

2 Likes

The maps was one of the main arguements of terrans as well as the mothership core sight range wich got nerfed.

Thinking you have the answers and those theories not working in an actual game are 2 very different things. Why do you think your insanely overpowered strategies are never used in gsl despite these players playing 8-10 hours every single day since release and discussing strategy with both designated coaches and players of the other races?

Isnt there a very popular and powerfull fast colossus build that can hold raven pushes easily, sometimes even kill the terran on counter attack?

Your view on pro terran players is just silly and you should stop talking about tvp in general since you obviously have no idea what youre talking about.

For example rogue helped maru before marus gsl game vs dark so mutch that he didnt even prepare properly for his own gsl game and lost because of this.

During the tankivac era terran won the least premiers out of any race, so if it even was broken then terran must have been struggling HARD in other areas considering it obviously did not make terran favored.