Improving Swann: Cyclones (Feat. Science Vessels)

Link: https://youtu.be/sVGOtdiScMc
Link: https://youtu.be/ocfC55ijOEI (Hellion included)
Firstly, I didn’t played Cyclones enough to understand them fully but from what I heard some think they are underpowered and not worth the resources others say they are useful regardless.

I gave Science Vessels Teleportation (Unfortunately, I have not implemented effect models).

I have give Cyclones more buff to increase their power.
I haven’t seen Cyclones being played by Swann players other than for fun (personally, I don’t use them much).

• Mag-Field Accelerator upgrade increase speed
    (2.815 > 3.375)
  • Targeting Optics upgrade provide 3 > 4 range and +3 sight

Result
Due to their speed and longer range and sight, they can shoot from safe range as well as avoiding enemy fire.
Even Immortals and Colossus the armoured unit killers become helpless before its speed and range.

In conclusion they become more powerful against fewer but powerful composition yet remain vulnerable against swarmy enemies.

Is this buff too much?

3 Likes

I think it sounds good (I’d add Hellions getting attack on the move to get a mobile composition that handles swarmy and anti armor)

2 Likes

You mean like a Cyclone/Hellion Duo? I never thought about that.
Wait a moment for me. I’ll run an experiment

I’d rather have Twin-linked Flamethrowers from the campaign rather than having a Diamondback clone.

Then again, wider fire width is taken by Hellbats (which operates as Mineral tankers).
I never seen Hellions used in Swann before. I used it once as a method to escape.

Anyways I’ll update a video how they will work with tracking shots. And see how they work with Cyclones.

It may overlap with Infested Diamondbacks but it does open a potential for being one of Swann’s army composition.

1 Like

The buff seems just right.

Cyclones still remain a fragile unit as they were intended. The longer range gives even higher capacity to micro and gain benefits, which the video itself didn’t really portray (mostly just auto).

The increased movement speed give way to allow this micro potential to occur easier for more players.

Anyone whose seen the video should (I imagine) conclude that they are very viable, as the enemy engaged is far stronger in compositions and numbers than any at 8-10min mark. Moreover, you’ve only used a little over handful of Cyclones (and without SV).

2 Likes

I have included Hellions moving shot.
Link: https://youtu.be/ocfC55ijOEI
In the video, they are fully upgraded (Including range upgrade).
They seemed to work well with Cyclones as they draw fire and deal numerous light units on move.

Glad you like it.
Maybe I could put this put in my proposal post.

1 Like

Twin-Linked increases the length, not the width. Hellions get a longer attack range.

I hope they actually take action on all that. I’ve seen so many proposals and suggestions come and go with nothing to show for in the end. It just saddens me.

2 Likes

Cyclones aren’t that bad, they’re actually good and nice. The problem is that goliaths and Hercules tank drops are great and wonderful.

Well to be truthful, it is not guaranteed that suggestions no matter how good they are and have videos to show are implemented and seeing how Blizzard is being lax on Co-op it is highly likely not a single proposal will get through.
Even most of Maguro’s ideas which was brilliant did not go though (well some of them did but that was when Co-op team were more active).

But hey, some result is better than no result, that’s reason enough to continue experimenting.

1 Like

They are the most popular choice and most versatile and powerful. Cyclones aren’t bad as you said but comparatively difficult to use and requires lots of micro control.

Through this experiment, I hope I made their edge (Hit and Runner) sharper by adding more capabilities in speed/range, the current Cyclones are viable but their speed is bit slow and range bit short for their purpose (I played with them a bit in editor).

1 Like

This is what is needed! Last official update Cyclones are still inefficient.

1 Like

Hmm, Cyclones are my go-to unit for Swann. Hellbats+Cyclones+a few Science Vessels. I outdamage partners pretty often.

What is people’s complaint about them?

1 Like

They’re expensive and get out-performed by Goliaths, I expect. I’ll use Cyclones sometimes just for funsies, but they’re pretty much strictly worse than Goliaths.

I like these changes because it gives them more of a distinct roll than they have right now. They’re supposed to be hit and runners, but they aren’t that fast and their range is far worse than Goliaths. Because of that, they do basically the same thing Goliaths do, but not as well.

1 Like

No. Twin-Linked Flamethrower doubles the width on Hellion attacks. Not length.

Isn’t this upgrade a baseline already? And not even available in coop currently?

Funny thinking about if it actually double the length, like a range 12 flamethrower :joy:

1 Like

A 12 Range Flamethrower? hahahah That is bit too OP for a unit that costs “100 minerals”.
Even if he means that Hellions should get wider stream, my answer is “no”.
Siege Tanks and Thor already does a good job with Splash damage and “100 mineral” Hellbats are tough and does a good job as meat/steel shields.

2 Likes

Can I just once again point out that the original concept of the cyclone outside of co-op was a fast skirmishing unit and that it has one of the highest move speeds in the game built in? Cycles are bad in co-op because they intentionally made them uniquely worse in co-op because reasons.

1 Like

One of my problems with cyclones is the lack of space to kite enemies in coop, along with Swann not having any form of long range vision. To safely kite enemies, you need space. Stukov kind of gets away with this on his diamond backs due to green gloop. On top of that, their dps is not instant. Siege tanks are great for hitting enemies due to pretty much instantly killing them. Clones have good dps, but it’s dps over time. This allows those big ol attack waves to hit you a lot of there firepower. Not to mention that, due to cyclones having projectile travel time, they suffer heavily from overkill.

I do like the idea of a hellion/cyclone combo though as a rapid response army, and your extra range and speed help alleviate some of the cyclones problems.

1 Like