Game will not save settings/no sound

Just sharing this in case it helps anyone else. Something seems to have changed in Windows 10 / Windows Defender and the Controlled Folder Access feature.

SCII was not saving sound setting changes at all and it worked previously. I found lots of posts about 7.1 sound/etc but the issue is actually Windows Defender. Everything is updated, no issues elsewhere on machine.

I had to “Allow an app through controlled folder access” – and I had to find the specific SCII executable also (can’t just callout the launcher)

I have the Blizzard App on C drive. Game is installed on another disk. Perhaps this is why windows is tweaking out?

Anyways, added the file:
[disk volume]:\rest_of_path\Starcraft\Starcraft II\Versions\Base75025\SC2_x64.exe

to the exception list and now SCII working like normal.

related to this other post:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! It worked.

I love you!! Finally got the campaign to work :slight_smile:

Yes! This was the issue all along. So many other threads led me down the wrong path but it’s Windows 10 overzealous protections’ fault, not Blizzard’s. Blizzard support take notice! The SC64 exe should be whitelisted by Microsoft.

Closing this thread as it’s been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.

Glad to see this has been helpful to you all! This isn’t something that Blizzard will have much control over, but it can be reported over to Microsoft as a false positive for the security or firewall applications here.

Thank you for your report and bringing this to our attention :slight_smile: