Essence of a Xel'Naga

What is the Essence of a Xel’Naga that a “being capable of vast psionic potential” is supposed to be housing psionicly? isn’t it the Void of a Xel’Naga?

“then, the elders of the xel’naga will give their lifes to bestow their essence”- “And Xel’Naga will be reborn”-LOTV

i thought the consciousness of a Xel’Naga is Void itself, as it is the psionic force of a Xel’Naga. right?

“…entity created in ancient times by the xel’naga Amon, Zagara said. It embodied zerg consciousness” -Starcraft-Evolution: Chapter 8

what is this consciousness of a Xel’Naga? I heard somewhere that the Overmind utilized the Void.

and if it’s not the Void, what then is the Essence of a Xel’Naga?

The Overmind uses void energies as part of the cerebrate (and its own) reincarnation process. Anything else beyond that is speculation at best, although the zerg are not capable of using psionic powers outside of the command strains like cerebrates and overlords.

But Xel’naga essence is definitely not void energy, otherwise it would be unnecessary for one to give up its life to ascend a new being, and the Infinite Cycle would not have been broken at the end of LoV because Void energy is still out there even without living Xel’naga.

As I posted in the other thread, what exactly “essence” is isn’t ever adequately explained but it HotS it is often used interchangeably with genetic material.

In a sense I would argue that the mechanics in play are far more mundane than you would like to believe, “Purity of form.” Is simply shorthand for great psionic potential and “purity of essence” is just the ability to actively modify onesself with foreign genetic material.

In effect you need both so you can adapt your body to the Xel’naga genetics and contain the massive psionic power that comes with those genetics.

4 Likes

adaptation and essence getenics is clear to me, you‘re right. but what is that psionic force that comes with those xel’naga genetics? isn‘t it the Void?

there is still psionic activity within the command strains.

no? Its “Celestial Energy” which is described as being distinct. Asking what it is, is a bit of an odd question. Its itself. Its not the Void or the Khala or anything else, its just itself. Its a unique thing that doesn’t show up outside of use by the Xel’naga.

can you provide me a source in lore where it is described as being distinct?

In the only mission it appears in, its contrasted as being especially powerful against Amon’s void energies.

1 Like

the Xel’Naga comes from the Void, so is it not justified to suggest that the celestial energy is part of the Void too, coming out of it ultimately?

what does “Legacy of the Void” mean btw? isn’t it pointing to that celestial energy?

Legacy is something that is part of your past, of your history.

Void is something that has played a big role in Protoss history.

2 Likes

are you kidding me? wtf

Cambridge says this.

www.google.com/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/legacy

2 Likes

stop bothering me skehan, you’re trolling me on every topic.

Since when is using links as evidence trolling?

The world may never know.

Kelthar knows more about Starcraft lore than pretty much anyone else, chances are if he’s making an assertion about the cannon, he’s probably correct.

The fact that celestial energy is set up as anathema to Amon and the Void energy he uses is a pretty big indicator that they are definitely not the same thing.

1 Like

void energies may as well be used against other void energies…

While there is precedent for that in the lore, its also explicit when that’s happening. In this case there is specifically a contrast being drawn between the two energies, which would make no sense if they were the same thing.

3 Likes

why must something always be explicitly obvious?

Because otherwise it isn’t visible at all. To say nothing of the fact that if it isn’t explicit, and it isn’t implicit, then its just speculative, which is to say there is no proof at all of that something.

But why male models?