Co-op games keep disconnecting

My co-op mode games always seem to crash about 15 to 20 minutes in. They freeze up and bring up the surrender option. My internet connection is stable the entire time.

1 Like

Hey, Katarie! The behavior does sound a bit like there’s connectivity issues. There’s no known issues with StarCraft II at this moment, but connection and network is a very complex system. While the connection itself is stable, there may be routing issues to the game or service that it’s trying to connect to. We’ll want to check if this is what’s going on with StarCraft II.

Could you provide a WinMTR test? Run this test while the problem occurs for 10 to 15 minutes. Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
WinMTR Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

A post was split to a new topic: Blamm0 disconnecting

Here is my file with a DC…

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                            192.168.64.1 -    0 |  911 |  911 |    2 |    9 |  125 |    5 |

|                           65.153.155.97 -    0 |  911 |  911 |    3 |    9 |  104 |    5 |

|             cls2-edge-04.inet.qwest.net -    0 |  911 |  911 |    4 |   11 |  100 |    8 |

|             dvr3-brdr-01.inet.qwest.net -    0 |  911 |  911 |    6 |   14 |  117 |    8 |

|          lag-12.ear3.Denver1.Level3.net -   89 |  204 |   24 |    0 |   11 |   21 |   13 |

|      ae-1-3508.ear7.Chicago2.Level3.net -   99 |  186 |    2 |   33 |   36 |   39 |   33 |

|    BLIZZARD-EN.ear7.Chicago2.Level3.net -    0 |  911 |  911 |   29 |   40 |  320 |   39 |

|              ae1-br01-eqch2.as57976.net -    5 |  708 |  677 |   52 |  379 | 4598 |  159 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  185 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  185 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|                           137.221.68.81 -    0 |  911 |  911 |   51 |   60 |  189 |   57 |

|        lax-eqla1-ia-bons-03.as57976.net -    0 |  911 |  911 |   52 |   59 |  106 |   58 |

|                           24.105.30.129 -    0 |  911 |  911 |   51 |   57 |  174 |   53 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Katarie,

There’s nothing super crazy going on in there, although your connection to your router isn’t perfect. I’d update your network drivers, do an extended power cycle on your modem and router, and finally swap to ethernet if you’re on wifi.

If you’re still having trouble after this troubleshooting, please generate a text copy of your DxDiag using these instructions. Once you have that made, open the file. Copy the code below, then copy/paste everything from that DXDiag file between the rows of tilde (~) marks where it says “DXDiag goes here.”

~~~~
DXDiag goes here
~~~~

If the file’s too large to submit, you can upload it to a file hosting site like pastebin and post the link in the code above instead.

Ethernet isn’t an option I am on my apartment complex’s wifi with no physical access to their modem or router. I’ll try updating drivers and see if anything changes.

Yeah updated drivers and still getting the same game freeze with surrender button. This is the only game with this issue. Everything else plays perfectly.
Here is a pastebin link to my DXdiag

[Redacted]

Hey, Katarie! Thank you for including files! This was the MSINFO file. We do not recommend to post MSINFO files on the forums for privacy and security reasons. I went ahead and removed the link from the post.

If the problem continues, does the same surrender issue happen on an alternative network or VPN?

DC does not seem to happen on other networks. If my ISP is the problem, what do I say when I call their tech support? “This one game I play (but no others) disconnects frequently?”

Hey, Katarie! Thank you for giving those a try! With other networks seeming to work, it does mean that either the connection routing or home network is where the problem is starting. In the WinMTR test, it isn’t showing too much here other than the high average spikes on the home network.

| 192.168.64.1 - 0 | 911 | 911 | 2 | 9 | :warning: 125 | 5 |

The test isn’t showing much consistent packet loss though which is usually a clear sign of why the disconnections are happening, but there may be some other causes like mitigation, damaged signal/lines, or something like the network adapter or router/modem may be acting up. The ones that do show packet loss appear to be just firewall/security protection on the peering network which is common to see, since it doesn’t persist throughout the test, it can be safely ignored. The worst latency spikes are pretty consistent to what’s showing on the home network though and might be a clue to the cause of the disconnections.

As for discussing the problem with the ISP, I think it’s best to not call out a specific game since it may be referred back to us for an issue that is outside of our control. With this being an apartment complex/shared network though, you may want to check with the housing’s IT/Network Admin or the Building Manager first to see if they can take a look at the connection. It could just be something minor like protocols, ports, or quality of service causing the disconnections. It’s always good to provide proof of where the problem is starting which is what we try to help provide with the WinMTR tests provided here. If you wanted to run another WinMTR test, we’d be happy to take another look to compare with the previous test as well.

Our network team only has control over our peering partners and our servers, and if the problem was with our peering partner or servers, we’d be seeing many more reports that eventually get escalated over to our network team with connection data if they haven’t been alerted over the connection issues already. As of right now, there isn’t any known issues that should be causing this problem for your network, but we’ll continue to monitor if any similar issues are reported.

Hopefully, this information may be helpful to lead you in the right way or find the core issue with what’s causing the disconnections in Co-op matches. While not ideal, an alternative connection or VPN are some options to workaround the problem in the mean time.