Attempting to Reconnect - Netgear Routers

A post was split to a new topic: Barnufus - Attempting to Reconnect

Yea idk, I’ve haven’t tried messing with the QoS or anything like that, but that is because I’m not a Tech guy, or at least not a networking one. Which is why I tried to just ignore the issue, and just try to win all my games under 5 mins.

I’m glad you guys found that list helpful, I found it kinda weird how all these forms had the same issue, but no one ever gave a for sure solution.

Though, I would like to note, my issue is new, like for me Dec 2019, which fits the timeline that I put into the other post. Because before hand, I’ve had Spectrum/Netgear with Starcraft 2 and I cant recall having this bug at all.

However, online i’ve found some older posts when looking up Starcraft 2 and attempting to reconnect from around 2014 (if I remember right). They seemed to also have the same issue, and their solution was some sort of port forwarding to specific ports.

We just started seeing this trend recently since folks are returning back to the game. We’re still gathering information and what helps in the mean time :slight_smile: The “attempting to reconnect” issue is a generic message since it can be caused by other connection issues, so old posts will exist though the issue may be different.

In this situation, we have seen a consistent trend in reports along with the same description of disconnecting within 5 minutes, which matches up with how mitigation tends to work. Ports likely wouldn’t cause the specific disconnections after 5 minutes, but there is a guide on this external portforward website if you wanted to give it a try.

We’re gathering ticket reports along with forum reports so hopefully we’ll see some additional reports here. I’ll update here if we find anything new with our ticket reports :slight_smile:

Hey I am having the exact same issues. Give or take around 5 minutes into the game I have the attempting to reconnect message pop up. Sometimes this happens every game, or sometimes I get multiple games before this occurs.

I am using a NetGear router.

I have a direct wired connection into my computer with a brand new CAT 6 cable.

I tried to set up a Qos on my router but have no idea if I did it correctly… the game dropped the first game after I tried to set it up, so either it didn’t work or I did it wrong.

I should note that I have no issues playing BF5, or watching videos or streams. This appears to be an issue only with Starcraft, although I could have just not experienced the issue with other things.

This has been going on for months.

Thank you, Bairdo, for your report! It looks like this might be happening with other ISPs other than the two we’ve noted. I’ll add this over to our tracking for this issue!

Could you provide the Netgear model that you’re currently using?

Also by chance, does disabling the audio help with this issue? It’s an odd workaround and not ideal, but the audio bit can impact connections at times.

I am using a Netgear AC 1750 (R6350).

I just dropped out of my last game. I will try the no audio and see how it goes.

My internet provider is Execulink.

Just an update. A while back I changed my audio setting in game from medium quality to high. Just changed it back and so far so good. I will report if the problem happens again.

Ok that did not solve the issue.

I am having the same issue. Starcraft has become unplayable as I disconnect from every game I enter. I have a netgear router r6220.

Thank you for giving that a try, Bairdo! Have either of you tried toggling the QoS setting mentioned above? Either by enabling or disabling the setting to see if it may help?

I tried it with no apparent success. I will try again. The game disconnects are other times too. The last game just disconnected at 15:30.

Thanks for giving that a try, too, Bairdo! We’re tracking for more reports on the issue and what else might be causing the constant disconnections. If there’s anything new that comes up, I’ll share it here!

This is not ideal by any means, but the only resolution that I’ve personally seen with this issue is by replacing the modem. Hopefully, this won’t be necessary if we can find a different fix for this.

In the mean time, in case we may be able to gather any clues or information, could those of you experiencing this issue provide Log Goblin files? Send this to techinfo@blizzard.com under the subject ATTN: Caterpepi - SC2 Netgear

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Technical Support to assist in troubleshooting.

Your cooperation and assistance is greatly appreciated! I’ll dig around to see if possibly there may be some protocol or port specific causes or if we may be able to gather more reports to send this to our team :slight_smile:

Ok Thank you for looking into this. I sent you a log Goblin file. let me know If I did it wrong haha.

Got it, Bairdo! Thank you! I’ll get this added over to our tracking and dig around a bit to see what I can find :slight_smile: If anyone else is running into the same issue, please send those files over for us to take a look and compare!

We’re actively gathering reports and information for this and greatly appreciate your reports so far. There are some suggestions that we’d like to make sure are done.

1. Update Netgear Router firmware to latest version available on support.netgear.com.
  2. Update the Network drivers to the latest version.
  3. If you have a separate modem and router, try bypassing the router. Please let us know if you have tried this, and what the results are.

If everything is up to date, we are requesting a bit more information from you.

• Router & Modem/Gateway model
  • Firmware version installed on the Netgear Router
  • How is the device set up? (ie. Modem to Router to Computer)
  • When and what part of the game experiences the issue?

For our more advanced users, please send the following over to techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject ATTN: Caterpepi - SC2 Netgear

Gather debug Logs. Click here.
  • To Get Debug Logs for Wired Connections On R6220, R6700, R6700v2, R6700v3:
    1. Open up a web browser go to Router Login & Setup | NETGEAR
    2. Login using admin username and password
    3. Under Debug Log Capture check the “Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture” option.
    4. Click the Start Capture
    5. Launch Starcraft and play until issue is encountered.
    6. Once issue has been reproduced multiple times go back to routerlogin.net/debug.htm and click the Save Debug Log to save the debug logs.
  1. Provide the logs to us
  • To Get Debug Logs for Wireless Connections On R6220, R6700v2, R6700v3
    1. Open up a web browser go to Router Login & Setup | NETGEAR
    2. Login using admin username and password
    3. Under Debug Log Capture check the “Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture” option.
    4. Check the Debug WiFi (Debug=3) Option and select the WiFi band 2.4 or 5GHz
    5. Click the Start Capture
    6. Launch Starcraft and play until issue is encountered.
    7. Once issue has been reproduced multiple times go back to routerlogin.net/debug.htm and click the Save Debug Log to save the debug logs.
    8. Provide the logs to us

Please do not post these logs and files the forums. This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Technical Support to assist in troubleshooting.

Thank you for your patience and assistance on gathering these logs for us!

Hey there, I was directed to possibly post here in my ticket. I have a netgear router and am suffering the same disconnect into surrender limbo problem. I play through a wired connection that goes arris modem - netgear router - computer. I see that getting a new router seems to be the easy yet clearly not best solution. Would this be true if the netgear router seems to be the consistent issue? Or would it perhaps be the modem? Just want to double check in case I go the way of purchasing a new piece of hardware.

Hey, Krzy8! We’ve seen this fairly consistently with Netgear routers not just in StarCraft II, where the disconnections happen around 5-10 minutes within the game. It may be worth trying to enable the QoS setting first to see if this improves the issue. This is more ideal to try before considering replacing the Netgear router. If the QoS setting enabled helps, please do let us know!

Arris modems with the Puma chipsets have had issues in the past, depending on the model. Though, many ISPs and the manufacturer have released firmware updates to help repair these issues. If you wanted to try to isolate the problem, bypassing the router and connecting directly to the arris modem should help. If bypassing works, the problem is related to the netgear issue we’ve been tracking.

Hello Caterpepi,

I hope you can still help. I have the same issue. Netgear R6220 router. I have verizon FioS. My internet works great for everything except starcraft 2 multiplayer, where I get random disonnects and get stuck at the “attempting to reconnect” screen. I have the latest firmware, and I have port-forwarding enabled. Actually, I get disconnected regardless of whether or not I have port forwarding enabled. I have ports 1119-1120,6112-6119,3724-3724,80-80,4000-4000 enabled as TCP/UDP and 3478-3479,5060-5060,5062-5062,6250-6250 forwarded as UDP only. I have also tried in the task manager to change priority to real-time. I use a Wired Ethernet cable directly from my router to my computer’s motherboard. My QoS settings are disabled, and for some reason I can’t turn it on on the router login page. Please help.

Hey Dactylogram,

Turning on QoS in the Netgear router settings may help prevent the disconnections. You’ll need to contact Netgear Support or check their website for more info if you’re not able to toggle on QoS for your router.

Keep in mind the date of posts when replying as well, since some of the information above may be outdated. If you need further help please create a new thread.