You're not helping Symmetra

Firstly, it does not inspire confidence that the devs are apparently not listening to our feedback on Sym. We know this because every time we’ve talked about her primary fire damage numbers, we’ve been basing them off incorrect values. This was pointed out recently:

I’m not shooting the messenger here, but how can Blizzard not catch one single instance of this when literally every post about said numbers mentions it? And then follow that up with, “we’ll see if this ends up being significant” as if no one has any idea if it’s even the right change?

It was then announced yesterday that Sym is getting a 20% increase in her primary fire ramp-up speed:

If you’d read the truckloads of feedback the community has provided on the current state of Sym, you’d know that her charge rate is not the problem.

Imagine your team is brawling on the point and you spot an unattended enemy Orisa shield. You juice up your beam and run in like a nerfed Zarya with half health and no bubbles and a gun that hums like an industrial power plant and you promptly get deleted in a second.

Did it matter how quickly you charged your beam in that situation? Not in the slightest. Charging 20% faster just means you can jump into the fight and get killed 20% faster.

Please do something to address the issues that are actually keeping Sym in the dumpster. You cannot arm a squishy with the serious threat of a giant frickin’ laser and then give them no way to protect themselves.

I’m not suggesting going back to 2.0, but damn do I miss that Sym. Her lock-on beam provided her with some protection when she got jumped by flankers, now you need to patiently charge it up on something before you have enough damage on tap for the flanker to even feel threatened. Her mini photon barrier was AMAZING for blocking chunks of damage or letting her advance towards a target, but that was also taken away. Some of this self-defence needs to be restored before any more weapon fiddling.

Since our posts have obviously not been read, here are the broader changes the community has suggested to give Sym a viability boost:

• Reduce teleporter deployment time. We were sold this idea of a Sym who could quickly tele her team away from a grav, or quickly escape to high ground from a D.Va bomb; in reality, the deployment time is far too slow for any of those things to be even remotely practical.

• Do something with the turret deployment cooldown. Waiting a full 30 seconds to redeploy your nest is agonisingly slow and probably the least fun part of her kit. Can we not recollect deployed turrets on a cooldown?

• Give her 50 extra shields (ala Torb) or just return her mini photon barrier. Baptiste has enough room for that many abilities, why not Sym? How much could giving her back her one means of protection hurt?

And please, Blizz, can we get some sort of feedback on your plans for Sym before we have to make another 11k post megathread?

EDIT: 20% primary fire charge rate buff on the PTR (1 March 2019) - we’re off to a good start!

71 Likes

Sym mains are the new Mercy mains in how they don’t stop flooding the forums complaining even after a buff.

46 Likes

Because they also nerfed her. The devs have no idea what they are doing. LITERALLY.

8 MONTHS. 8 LONG MONTHS AND THE DEVS ARE FINALLY REALIZING THEIR MISTAKE.

26 Likes

she has one of the highest win rates in the game when she is played in the right situations. characters with annoying auto aim turret spam will never be meta, unless you want to kill your game. play other characters or play another game.

sym and mercy players need to think about going to find another game to play, thier toxicity and spamming is such a drag.

5 Likes

it was part of the problem. The less time charging at level 1, the better.

7 Likes

No her charge rate was a problem and I’m glad they buffed it, but her teleporter needs to be looked at next because if they can fix her teleporter it may help with survivability. Or they could just give her 50 more shield

5 Likes

ill take any buff i can get but 20% charge time aint gunna do much.

shes still a sitting duck in a 1v1 against another dps unless she has 2 or more turrets up.

She has no mobility or survivability mechanics in a fight.

TP still takes way 2 long to set up

TP still places in stupid positions it should spawn directly at her feet every time

TP still destroys itself if its 2 close to something wall/payload

TP range is JUST SHORT of so many places like the first point blizzard world coming through the choke its just short of bypassing enemy sights and getting to the high ground from a safe distance.

10 Likes

What are your thoughts on torb?

Honestly didn’t read the post, but:

Faster charging time = Faster to reach max damage = Faster to kill target = Less chance for target to kill you = Better survivability?

2 Likes

If you’d read any of the posts about this instead of knee-jerk flaming Sym mains collectively, you’d have read this from Blizzard:

Please explain to us how that is a buff.

14 Likes

Her tick rate doing faster is a really nice buff… but how do you plan to reach your targets on the first place?

I mean, the “nerf” literally had a difference of .17 seconds to kill 200 armour health. (Like c’mon it was in the post you quoted)

Now, place the new 20% charge buff on top of that, and what do you get?

I haven’t done the math, but I’m willing to bet that 20% will account for that .17 seconds and more. Hence, she’s been buffed.

By standing behind your team’s (Or your own) shield, staying with your healers, waiting for a pick and then pushing in, teleporting in and then out again etc. etc.

It’s really not as hard as you think.

5 Likes

The Sym community has to be the least toxic group of mains in the entire game. There’s a reason she has the most active sub out of all the heroes.

The only toxicity in this thread has been introduced by YOU. And if you’re not interested in participating in the conversation like an adult, then don’t read the thread.

16 Likes

Not a single Symmetra player wanted those turrets to be turned into DPS tools. I still don’t want that. I want them to go back to utility support. Slows and tracking, no more than that.

It is -a- problem. But it’s, what, number 46 on the list of ‘issues that make Symm 3.0 absolute trash’?

The charge rate needs to go all the way down to less than a second if they want to balance her better, because her M1 DPS at charge 3 is still garbage compared to other range-restricted weapons like shotguns or Tracer’s pistols. And those can headshot, and don’t have any wind-up.

ON TOP of her being by far the squishiest hero to be oriented towards close combat, now that all her personal survivability was stripped off.

See, other heroes go out and do something, instead of waiting for an enemy to surrender.

7 Likes

I mean, if you’re good then Symmetra can definitely get picks.

If you’re good, that is.

Thanks for that lesson based on your 6 whole hours on Sym. You probably know better than players with multiple hundreds of hours on her since Sym 1.0.

Why is it always people who don’t even play a hero that have the most to say?

5 Likes

Oh yeah, she can get picks.

Just less than half as many as any other DPS, against a competent enemy team.

1 Like

I mainly play arcade, but nice profile shaming.

My opinions are also mostly based on a combination of watching other people play Symmetra, and sheer logic. :slight_smile:

Also, you conveniently forgot to reply to my argument against your flawed logic.

2 Likes

If you don’t play her, don’t speak up and tell others how to play her. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

1 Like

I’m honestly happy Sym is getting something. This is the first time ever that a PTR has been updated while it was up with actual buffs and nerfs based on general feedback (Sym needs buffs, Junkrat needs buffs, Reaper needs a nerf). It’s very promising; now they only need to learn to take the actual feedback of people and not just introduce general buffs (though I guess it will still help).

This is what I wanted since Overwatch launched. Maybe they’ll actually learn now to slowly start taking community feedback somewhat seriously, and quickly at that! Would make me happy.

1 Like