Will the devs ever tone down CC

The current meta consists of:
Sigma: Multiple huge CC aspects
Orisa: A mini grav on cool down
Mei: Pure CC driven

Half the current meta heavily abuses the strength of CC.

that’s exactly why CC exists in the game
like what is there to stop the ball if there was no CC in the game?

i’d be ok with them just removing/ toning down all the CC abilities and appropriately reworking the ball but we’ve been through at least a few massive updates (mercy 2.0, the addition of brig, 2-2-2) and they just mess up the game and make it so unenjoyable to play for at least a couple of patches and i’m not sure if i can take another round of that

Okay. Even taking healer ults out of the equation that can heal literally everyone at once (Valkyrie, Transcendance, Sound Barrier), Lucio has AoE healing. Have him amp it up and you mitigate a huge amount of the damage. Moira can fade out of the ult, throw her heal orb at her teammates. Ana has her Nade.

And again. Shoot him. He can’t deploy his shield while ulting so try again. Or interrupt it with a Hog hook, a McCree flashbang, a Sombra hack, or again, literally just kill him. Literally all his “CC” abilities have windups, even his ult has a windup, like Doomfist’s, where the location is telegraphed and you or your teammates have a chance to get to cover before being lifted.

Even taking that into account, if you’re not making Sigma’s life hell as Zarya or Symm or any of the other beam heroes his little pseudo-Matrix can’t deflect, that’s still just bad playing choices. I’ve seen good Reapers bait it out before they just start chewing through him.

Then he’s feeding and otherwise being useless to his team if he has to leave and come back all the time. Use that to your advantage.

Tune down CC, tune down shields, tune down healing, tune down oneshots …. i am starting to see a pattern :thinking:

Hot take: Maybe don’t make heroes that are straight up auto-wins when not countered. Applies to Pharah/hitscan too.

4 Likes

I have wanted diminishing returns on stuns for what feels like a year and a half now. Chain-stunning isn’t fair, isn’t fun, and isn’t necessary.

1 Like

Yes! This is what we need, not diminishing returns on cc. Boops and slows are not really that big of a problem, the stuns in the game are. You should not be unable to do anything for multiple seconds of the game at a time.

Ps. It’s nice to see a fellow dva biking avatar user

1 Like

Or a Hog hook combo that generally killed you, a Rein shatter, a Zarya grav, Lucio boops, Primal Rage boops, Whole Hog boops, Sombra hacks/emps, huh… Guess there have always been quite a bit of CC in the game.

1 Like

Depending on the character you’re playing as. You are focusing on helping a teammate where they use that to hit you. Or you’re a tank, which is easy to hit. I wish Zarya’s bubble would be updated so that when activated, CC burst moves can’t push her. Only exception is charge. Since it’s a continuous force applied. All CC does, is promote lame game play. Relying on pits and knocking abuse.

The amount of CC in the game was addressed by Geoff Goodman a while ago (I think it was shortly after Ashe’s release). He mentioned they want to address it, but all that has happened since is Brigitte got a stun reduction on her shield bash.
We did also get a patch that removed slow stacking, but this isn’t a big change when Mei is the only hero that can slow.

No, all they did was nerf the CC on Doom’s uppercut and slam. I was waiting for them to then proceed to nerf Mei’s left click, the cc on Hammond’s slam, the nuke size aoe on flashbang, and the giant hitbox on Ana’s dart but all they did was nerf then mini revert Doom. Oh and Sombra’s broken ash

It’s the only thing keeping hyper mobility in check. That was their first mistake.

For the love of god, just give us reasonable, reliable slows in place of stuns. Symmetra’s turrets would be a god send if they slowed to the maximum. Keeping characters like Hammond or Genji in line.

Unfortunately Blizzard is only creative with CC abilities.

ABuses??? lol

Even with all the cc of ow in one meta it wouldn’t be much compared.

Doubt it. They may slightly nerf CC but not enough or to the extent that most desire.

If anything I could see them adding more abilities like Foritfy. Anti-CC abilities.
I’m still hoping we’ll get a support character with a CC cleanse ability of some sort. It’d be nice. :neutral_face:

Being able to wake people when slept. :star_struck:

A sentiment most share. But Blizz seems to love making design choices that absolutely force you to react with a very specific counter pick to nullify it.

They could probably:

Mei Freeze 1.3sec, down from 1.5sec
Mei Slow 0.75sec, down from 1.5sec
Brig ShieldBash 0.5sec, down from 1.0sec
McCree FlashBang 0.5sec, down from 0.7sec

Orisa Halt could get a little less range.

Doomfist punch could deal damage on wallslam inversely proportional to the distance traveled.

And then maybe tone down all knockbacks by about 10%

SleepDart, EarthShatter, GravitonSurge, GravityWell would need a bit more consideration.

1 Like

It’s too late now. They couldn’t do it without drastically reworking a bunch of characters. The most one can hope for is to not add more in the future and to nerf Mei.

Yeah, it’s pretty impossible without toning down the high mobility dps and tanks. They’d pretty much have to destroy Ball and Doomfist.