Why mercy mains are so toxic?

I won’t confirm or deny members for their privacy, but do you have reason for a complaint?

2 Likes

Hahahahahah, thanks for the answer.

So do you condone your members actively harassing other people?

There’s a discord server for Mercy players.

That’s all the facts provided right there.

There’s no evidence for any of your claims about it. You’re still stereotyping posters by suggesting behavior based on it.

Collapsed for those that don't want to re-read old posts.
3 Likes

Like I say, I will never state whether someone is a member of the discord because that’s not information for me to give. If the person does belong to the discord I will look at the posts, determine whether they can be considered harassment, and if so I will speak to the person.

Do not take my first post as a confirmation anyone belonged to the discord, I honestly don’t remember everyone from the top of my head.

4 Likes

I’m just going to quote this because this is ultimately the disconnect. (Edit: It happened again below.)

The best part is I’m not even in the Discord, and didn’t know there even was one until now. Stay obsessed and paranoid, though.

Look, pal, I wanted to get in the discussion mostly because of your first reply which was right about some stuff, but was really really starting from wrong premises which you seem to have taken up based on your own bias or agenda.

While the social mechanics you have explained in your first post are true and undeniable, you are denying the fact that those “stereotypes”, which no one is makin since no one is saying “all the mercy mains” but “most of the mercy mains”, are based on data. And you asked for that data, and it has been provided to some extent. But you proceeded to ignore it and disregard, while weaseling out of the arguments made against you and becoming, really, really defensive.

So, lemme try something here.

We are subjected to a constant spam by people who define themselves as Mercy mains. Now, it’s clear to everyone that those player are not the 100%, but we also don’t get to know the full extent of the whole “Mercy players” group and we are talking about the users pool that we can see and know, hence the posters of this forum.

So, once we restrict down the group “Mercy players” to “Mercy players who post on the forum” we get really precise to who we are talking about and the people who are considered in this group. That means two things: We are fully aware that the posters of this forum aren’t and can’t be “All Mercy mains”; “Mercy mains” refers to a group of people who post in the forum, actively or not, and that happens to “define themselves as such” and hence play Mercy as their main.
Saying this for clarity, even tho you should have already understood this: This group represents the 100%. It’s not the 100% of players in the game, it’s the 100% of people who we consider on the forum and as the source of the problem, which is the constant and over the line spam, and includes both Mercies that aren’t the problem and Mercies who are the problem.

Now, what we define as problematic, and seems to have triggered your first reply, is that the MAJORITY of Mercy Mains start threads, continuously, about the same argument in a neverending cycle of spam. No one is sayin “all of them”, we are addressing the MAJORITY of them. This, alone, debunks your idea of “You are making a stereotype”. This is not a stereotype. I can understand your confusion, even tho you seem just to want to appear as that instead of really being confused. And the arguments of “we are not sayin all of them” and “they are making a constant spam” are backed up by proof that you can find in this topic and just by lookin at our front page for 3 days in a row and counting how many threads about Mercy, and the changes she should get, plus the threads about Mercy players feelings we get. If you don’t want to wait, just use the search tool, enter “Mercy” and look up the dates on the topics.

This should clarify why what you said could have been right, but has been disproved through the discussion. It looks a little lame to see you holding your position when you are clearly disgegarding facts, while asking for them, and working with only “generalism” while the counterpart is being very, very precise about what is saying and it’s backin up their claims with objective data.

You could have made the argument that “You are not defining etc etc” but i just did with this post. It’s really really precise, defines both the problem and the population we are addressing and pinnin this onto, while also explaining the terminology used.

Considering how you have been answering up until now, i really don’t think anything useful will come out of your replies, but if you want to keep the discussion going, i’m okay with it as long as you actually can make good points and be precise. If you wanna just generalize and act like a SJW who doesn’t really have solid arguments but just ideas that disregard reality, please don’t lose the time and don’t make me lose time.

Got monsters to hunt and a palico to yell at.

This is biased and wrong.

There was also a second part, but it seems like the thread got removed. I’ll summarize the second part:
LGTB community was on a slippery slope to become as spammy as the majority of you guys are. Their threads were gettin flagged and closed left and right, so they made, FOR THEMSELVES AND BY THEMSELVES, a megathread. Since then, no more spam of any kind from them and guess what? Their self made megathread is still up. No one is flaggin, no one is complaining on either side.

You lack maturity, they don’t.
We don’t have a problem with players, or how they play or what they play.
We have a problem with spammers and poor reasoning.

1 Like

I posted my opinion of Symmetra in a thread about Symmetra. Still can’t understand how that’s harassment. And ironically, it was you who changed the topic of that thread to Mercy and derailed it.

Jeez man. Calm down. So what if a group of Overwatch players have a Discord. It’s not used to harm anyone in any way.

If a person has harmed another verbally, or in game, we shall deal with that said person in due time. We do not tolerate harrassment of any kind, but we will not disclose that information to you to harass any people on the Discord. They are to remain private, but once kicked they are no longer our problem.

And if you really think we are up to no good I shall let you know what the recent activities are.

1. We should eat the bunny (said person shall know what this means)

2. Hey (insert name here). Do you and (other guy) want to play Diablo 3 later?
    One answered yes. The other cannot.

This question was from me if you are wondering. I was wanting to play Necromancer

1. Hey guys look at this gif. Oh cool another person made almost the same gif. Good minds think alike

So much badness. Stop bieng paranoid. We are not out to get anyone

2 Likes

I really should kick everyone for wanting to eat me though! :wink:

4 Likes

I cant eat you. We have that agreement…for now :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you, you are much more eloquent with words than I am (English is not my native language so I suspect maybe my points aren’t clear enough). This is literally what I’m trying to say.

But unfortunately I get harassed, false-reported and called a troll. Now they brought in the cavalry and are actively harassing my thread:

I think our definitions of what quantifies data might differ. Statistics is information on every poster, how large a percentage of those actually fit the label and how many.

Let’s say you looked up and found a total of 15 posters that fit your quota. There’s maybe over 10000 posters on the forum. That’s 0,15% of the active posters. And we know there’s 40,000,000 Overwatch players from one of the latest player counts, which even that guess number on the forum activity only makes out 0,025% of the total player base.

And yet, in spite of that you’ll claim:

How many of those people actually identify as Mercy mains. How large a percentage of threads do they actually clog. How many of those posters aren’t just a regular player or another main you interpreted as a Mercy main.

It’s not that there aren’t anything legit in the points you’re trying to make.

The problem is just what you define as “spam” might not be people’s shared definition of spam. Could the forums have more constructive discussions? Yes, without a doubt. Would we like to see less Mercy threads? Undoubtedly. But what I’m trying to make you see here, is that it’s not necessarily a product of “Mercy mains.”

Because if you can’t blame the problem on a specific group of posters, if you can’t say “it’s because of them,” then the answer suddenly becomes far more interesting. If it’s not some posters in specific, it means that everyone is responsible.

You’re responsible. I’m responsible. Everyone has a responsibility to create the kind of discussion they want to see. And it means that the more people understand “Mercy mains” is a stereotype, like any other stereotype you can begin to defeat it. You can make people stop posting about Mercy and start posting more varied threads.

Why do I need your stamp of approval?

Discussions are a cooperative effort, and are ultimately shaped by the other poster’s ability to argue and create points.

1 Like

But the thread is flagged, and unpinned, and people in this very thread are saying such things so uh… :thinking::thinking:

My definition of spam is having the same topic discussed, in just one day, in 8 different threads.

Would you like to give me yours?

I did. But you can’t name on the forums, so i won’t. I’ll send you back to this, again.

You want it to be a stereotype while I explained you while it is not.

We are being precise, as much as we can without breaking the CoC.

The people who post threads about the Mercy spam, just like OP did, are just as spammy, annoying, and useless. I can condone one of them, each day, max and just as long as the counterpart is spamming on a way, way higher trend.
But to be honest? I would just turn down the Mercy Threads to max 2, 3 tops each day and completely ABOLISH any other thread about the spam, but i’m pretty sure it would be the case if the Mercy Threads spam goes down because if the problem is not there, there is no spam to complain about.
I don’t condone spam by anyone. I gave you my definition of spam in this reply. Use that and keep it in mind if you wanna address this point.

First of all, the first question is a lame attempt at generating any reaction apart from laughter from me. Maybe it’s gonna work on someone else. But i’ll take it as a serious question, even tho it actually means i’m genuinely believing you are stupid, which i really don’t believe, i’m way more inclined in thinking you are cheap.

So:

You don’t. But just as you said, discussions are a cooperative effort and i went the extra mile and said that i will cooperate as long as you can cooperate too.

And you didn’t, at all. All the points you made were already addressed in my previous reply. You are not cooperating, you are circlying around everything, you are quoting just what you want to take into consideration. You don’t want to have a discussion, you want to win a discussion. But you win that with arguments, not with this lame self assed try at making me run in circles.
I feel pity for how you reason and act.

I explained why. It’s biased and wrong to think that’s the reason the megathread is down. The megathread is down and there are no doubts. Don’t reply without having fully read the post you are replying to.

1 Like

Thanks for revealing your true self. Enjoy the flag. This is a real life threat which goes against the CoC.
It was fun watching your little act, but it’s finally come to an end. Did you have fun? Did you get everything out of your system?

Enjoy the silence, you rock.

1 Like

Cease engaging with users that life threatens you, a cleaning operation by a mod will fix the issue. Flag according to the ToC and the federal laws of the US. Judgement will be done by the selected authorities.

1 Like

Get your moira popcorn out everyone, Undertone is gonna be furious. Oh wait. He already was. Eh my bad, guess it’s too hard to hear a guy that by trying to win a debate insults the opposing side. How rude.

Hahahahahahahah. A real life threat? It was a joke about his comment:

LMAO, a real life threat, ahhahaahhaahha. Hence my comment that it’s nice to know his permanent address. I’m not referring to his real life address :rofl: I’m literally in tears. The character assassination is just beyond me. You are literally proving everything I’m saying right in front of everyone’s eyes.

I guess that the only one putting up a show here is you.

Litterally comedy gold.

Oh no, wait, this guy here too.

Read posts and follow the discussion before jumping the gun.

1 Like