Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

True. Unless my team was really good, or we already had the advantage, me dying usually meant having to retreat or risk a full wipe. Matches where I managed to not die at all (yes, that happened, sometimes) were all won by a pretty big margin.

4 Likes

Also, kind of off topic, but not really because it pertains to balance… does Ana’s nano boost buff kind of remind anyone of how Ana’s nano boost can work in HotS? That the nano boost can heal the player being boosted. I just kind of realized that.

1 Like

Because it is a controversy, it is a reason that is only part of the reason she is picked and not picked.

Her healing is good but it depends on rank and her viability and use.

For example a master Ana will be a better pick that Master Mercy during season 3 or 4 but at the same time at gold even if the Ana is skilled people will feel more comfortable with Mercy as the main healer.

Also you have to consider environmental situations, the dps at higher ranks can burn through that healing, reducing viability.

Right now mercy healing is still technically strong, in matches she can still solo carry.

In the past, Mercy can solo carry with 50hps, she can solo carry with 60 hps

But her healing was only part of the reason she was chosen, it wasn’t a deciding factor.

Which is why I have been saying that rez on E would have kept her very viable even WITH a healing nerf IF the other supports were NOT buffed.

1 Like

Ironically because her 60hps was more reliable than 50hps, it didn’t matter if Res had all these locks and chains on it and restraining its use.

Which is why my prediction is… They will make res easier to use as one of their 2 remaining moves…

It is either improve Valkyrie to make it superficially strong or improve res to make it easier to use to compensate healing

If you can’t keep them alive then make it easier to bring them back, if you can keep them constantly alive they you don’t need a super easy to use res

1 Like

I usually reply to posts as I read through them if they require me to scroll down to see the entire post.

I was too lazy to go back and edit the first part of the reply after reading the last part of your post. :upside_down_face:

Which one?

Insisting upon the existence of evidence without providing any does not prove the existence of evidence. You said:

Which is accusing us of mass-false-flagging those who disagree with us simply because they disagree with us.

A claim that you have yet to back up with any evidence.

You linked a bunch of debates.

Nowhere in those debates do I see evidence of mass-false-flagging.

It’s upsetting to see someone quote you?

Actually, they replied in this thread to put the quote where I could see it. If you’re going to say things like:

Then you really ought to put that where that claim can be put to the test, no?

If I’m going to attack someone’s arguments on the forums, I put it directly in front of them so they can see. I don’t try to be sneaky about it to avoid it being dismantled.

If one cannot stand with a position against adversity, there’s no point in standing with that position at all.

Is that what you’re upset about?

I had been quoted and mentioned by name. I think I was pretty darn relevant to the conversation.

You are literally making the assertion that someone consistently disagreeing with you and choosing to voice that disagreement is harassment, and warrants a flag.

In addition, you are arguing that quoting you is trolling, and warrants a flag.

I can’t be the only one between the two of us that sees the irony when you accuse myself and other Mercy mains of mass-false-flagging you.

Guilty of refusing to back down in a debate, reinforcing and revising my assertions, and shooting down the arguments made by those who try to do the same to mine? Guilty of initiating civil confrontation and defending those who do the same?

Sure. I’ll own that.

Nope. I mean:

My post being this one:

There you go using that word again as though it means something sinister.

That’s called reaching a conclusion from known facts, or “reasoning”. The conclusion stands as a fact until something else comes along and kicks the supporting facts out from under it, or replaces the conclusion with a more accurate one under the same support facts.

If you know A and B are true, and you know that C is true when A and B are true, you know C is true. That’s not an opinion. That’s logic.

Resurrect as a basic ability is more powerful than Resurrect was as an ultimate.

Mercy was a must-pick for almost a year after Resurrect was placed on a basic ability. Mercy never was a must-pick prior to her rework.

We know that Valkyrie wasn’t the source of Mercy being Overpowered, as Mercy’s damage output/healing output hardly changed. This also eliminates her pistol and beams as possibilities, as they didn’t change either.

GA is only as powerful as the rest of Mercy’s kit allows her to be (mobility is a tool for amplifying impact; it’s not impact in itself), removing that as a possibility, in addition to the fact that it was hardly changed by the rework.

That leaves Resurrect as the only possible culprit. Simple process of elimination.

As though that isn’t enough to point you towards Resurrect, we have all of these:

If there is only one possible culprit, and we know that every other piece of evidence points towards that one culprit, we know that said possible culprit is the culprit.

Which was shot down by an argument you conveniently ignored: All stats (save for Lucio’s healing done and Mercy’s damage done, I believe) among supports scaled upward while approaching GM. Moira’s healing done, for example, scaled much more aggressively than Mercy’s healing done.

This leads us to believe that Mercy’s healing done scaled the same way prior to the rework. Alternatively, if one considered that Valkyrie, if anything, made it easier for low-tier players to get more healing done due to it’s extreme ease of use, one could theorize that Mercy’s healing dealt scaled less aggressively after the rework than it did before, which tosses the hypothesis that Valkyrie could have contributed more at high ranks after the rework out the window.

You attempted to use an argument of hypotheticals with no numbers to back it up, which is shot down by it’s own counterparts of more-likely hypotheticals, to try to shoot down a conclusion that all of the solid evidence points towards.

“We know A and B. A and B point to C.”
“But what if D is true?”

A “what if” doesn’t take precedence over known facts, especially not if existing evidence and reasoning suggests that the opposite of that “what if” is happening.

You’re attaching intention to text that displays none of that intention, and ignoring the context that flatly contradicts that supposed intention.

You say I was lying when I said this:

But when you reminded me that Overbuff has a “primary” section where you could get a limited resource of rank-sorted stats, I replied with:

If I was “lying” with my first assertion, then my first response to being proven incorrect probably would not have been to admit to being proven incorrect. I’ve been familiar with Overbuff long enough to know my way around that site, but I just never used some parts of it, so they weren’t at the front of my thoughts while I was typing that up.

Hence:

This one.

Already been over this with someone else in this thread, so I’ll go ahead and copy/paste my reply.

Add the alternative of Mercy being overpowered and dominating the meta, and you have Mercy with E-rez.

At least mass-rez Mercy was able to consistently achieve a healthy pickrate in GM prior to the rework without depending upon a handful of other heroes for viability. Now Mercy’s base kit is pocket-oriented, and she has the most volatile “basic ability” in the game. She’s going to swing between underpowered and overpowered with even the slightest changes, and when she achieves semi-decent balance, it will probably be traced back to certain heroes who she pairs well with being good picks.

Mercy gains an overpowered ability and begins treading on other heroes’ turfs…

And in order to compensate, they chip away at the few things they said they wanted Mercy to be. The remove some of Mercy’s turf.

So much for not wanting Mercy to depend upon Resurrect to be useful…

She isn’t supposed to be a pocket healer. She’s supposed to be a main healer.

They most certainly did.

It isn’t contrasting pre-invulnerability vs post-invulnerability. They are both equally numerically complex. This is contrasting pre-rework to post-rework.

This isn’t at all relevant to what you just quoted, but I have the covered in the OP too.

Shot down in the OP already.

Elaborate on that?

Because I recall that previously, you said you agreed with the rework proposal.

This was when Valkyrie granted a charge of resurrect. If you read the OP, you might notice that I addressed that too.

Which was provided by Valkyrie, making Valkyrie an ultimate.

It’s no longer provided by Valkyrie. Valkyrie is now a basic ability with a 15 second duration. It’s not an ultimate.

Mercy’s ultimate is on her E key.

Except… it didn’t.

If Mercy’s D-tier and we’re happy with how Mercy is, why does it matter?

It’s much easier to find a fun build and try to balance it than it is to take a… not-even-close-to-balanced build and try to make it balanced and fun.

Hence calls for another rework. The current state of Mercy renders balance and fun as mutually exclusive events.

We don’t care about the current balance state of Mercy because we wouldn’t play Mercy even if she were overpowered; we want to play Mercy because she is fun to play, not because she is overpowered and is the optimal choice.

That said, we care a lot about the balance state of the rework proposals we make, because those rework proposals satisfy the fun part of the equation. Once fun has been satisfied, balance becomes a primary issue, so long as it doesn’t encroach on that fun again.

You accuse me of trying to instigate an argument…

When you literally just said:

Which is a personal jab.

This neither confirms nor corrects my understanding of what you mean when you said that I ban bait.

Do you want me to post more bait memes? I have a lot saved…

15 Likes

So Mercy is back to being rez bot, since her healing is awful now?
We made full circle, back to rez being her core ability, except with everything being nerfed.

6 Likes

If they boost heal, it means they revert which means they didn’t keep their words and there a chance we will hold it against them.

Make Valkyrie too powerful and it will be overpowered. You boost the healing aspect and people will only use healing, if you boost damage boost it will be used more than heals, improve pistol and people only use pistol, you can’t boost valkyrie without changing the other parts.

Then that means we only have GA, Mercy mobility is fine unless she gets independent mobility outside of Valkyrie…

Which means we can only work on res… So best they could do is reduce cast time to about 1.5 seconds… or improve her survivability

they already reverted by nerfing it back to her previosu 50 hps she had before.

what you mean.

1 Like

Damage boost already used more, than heals, as it remained untouched. Healing wasn’t enough to sustain team in dire situation, even when it was 60 hps.

Buffing rez can backfire hard, especially since they will have to increase her survivability during it, aka give her back damage immunity. Small reduction of cast time won’t change anything, since it’s slowdown that causes most problems with survivability.

It depends on the situation, 60hps can, but if you are already stomped whilst in base with 60hps, then in Valkyrie 60hps will make no difference…

A lot of us can heal to the same degree as Valkyrie healing

Somehow I never saw situation, where Valkyrie with 60 hps could save the day, compared to healing like normal, with switching between teammates. Unless you got someone on the ground after you, so you fly in the air to keep healing.

Ok if you are inexperience, 60hps Valkyrie helps but in most cases, if you are doing well keeping it team alive without Valkyrie and just base healing, going Valkyrie to push back at a Team that is starting to make their comeback is handy.

Hope they will remove chain beams already, and give that powered up beam same 300 hps nanoboost got. Because as for now, Valkyrie is ultimate cleaned from almost any skilled use.

Yeah… but that idea was suggested like in Megathread 1, 2 or 3… when which then evolved into Beam Merge and super beam that can heal/boost people…

and then tada… the birth of Moira.

Then they, indeed, got no options to buff Valkyrie. Other than returning to resurrect buffs/adding some extra effects, at least.

Or they will have to do, like with Torbjorn: move Valkyrie to E, add some new variation of resurrect as ult, and call it new awesome rework. Worst case scenario they will set GA as “signature ability” of Mercy and remove resurrect completely.

From my point of view, since Pharah received great buffs, Mercy is having a peak of pickrate, but that’s it. As soon as Pharah is nerfed, Mercy will return to her normal pickrates

There’s a lot of problems with those kinds of contests that I don’t wanna get too deep into as that’s a looooong rant but basically, by hosting these kinds of contests you are exploiting artists because they are doing free labor for you and only a few select winners actually get any benefits while Blizzard themselves would reap all the benefits of not having to hire an artist to do work for them. It also devalues the works of artists that do freelance as they become unnecessary if video game companies keep hosting these contests where they get (mostly) free labor. It’s legal yeah, but the ethical aspects are questionable.

I’ll link these two videos by a youtuber who is also a freelance artist if you’re interested in this topic:

(the forums won’t let me add links even though there’s a feature specifically meant for putting up links so here’s the titles and the channel’s name is T.B. Skyen)

• Why you shouldn’t submit your creative work to Beyond Good & Evil 2 || Ubisoft’s crowdsourcing scam
  • A 30 Minute Rant About Art Contests And Freelancing As An Artist
1 Like

To be fair, many of those replies are a few people using this thread as a chatroom lol

Depends from how those contests are organized. For artists it’s more about improving their portfolio/reputation, than money. If you are not very famous, making few skins for such contest can make you famous.