Upcoming Experimental Mode – Assault Game Mode

This sounds interesting. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Actually, I just read there’s no plans to move this live. Are you still gonna make changes to 2CP as a whole? If there is overwhelmingly positive feedback will there be a change of heart?

i wont install the game to test it, but keep working on it, 2cp needed to be changed.

I dunno, I feel like on defense, the problem is the moment you lose the team fight you lose the whole checkpoint because of how far away spawn is and how quickly a point can be captured that it necessitates trickling. Meanwhile attack has all the time in the world to regroup and recover.

It’s not so bad on point B but the problem still exists where trickling eventually starts having to happen if you don’t wanna lose the round entirely.

15 Likes

I find myself intrigued.

However:

This would still mean that players would have to play multiple rounds of 2cp, because it seems to be never ending. 2cp problems are both the snowball but also the infinite stalling once you just have the coordination to pull it off. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of middle ground for 2cp and increased respawn timer only means that once enemy team rushes the point with 6 ultimates, loss is inevitable.

I also foresee problems arising with characters like symm who’re solely built just to capture the first point and then there’s no reason to use this character at all, since they have zero sustain for drawn out fights for capture point B. So symm would become one point wonder attack character with her infinite teleport and should never be used for her defensive utility ever again since infinite teleport is also not enough to stop enemy team from capping first point, only stalling.

Oh cool what’s this.

Seems familiar.

I guess in my version it was 3CP AAB, not 5CP AABBA.

It’s a little bit lopsided at the end there.
But I guess I was looking for a Quickplay replacement, not a Comp replacement.

Since the goal was quick games, without the stress of the coordinated teamplay needed for the gauntlet of 2CP.

That said, for Comp. Maybe consider normal 2CP, but after point A is captured, Ultimate charge is reset to zero.

That way you remove the snowball aspect.

8 Likes

I’m not sure how to feel about this

Thanks for the update, Molly.

Threads / Posts such as these are precisely the reason why i log into the forums.

22 Likes

It solves an issue. The larger issue has more traditionally been that the defender spawn is so much stronger than attacker spawn making taking the final point horrendous. Point A take is usually not that bad really and its more point B that feels awful when there is not real good sign of progression.

I can feel good about losing in payloads if say I know our team made the cart get like to <1m left. We had a good run.

1 Like

RUSH B

17 Likes

Clam down Taiger.

3 Likes

All my tactics have gone out the window!

2 Likes

That’s really nice to test.
Do you happen to have other experimentals coming up after this? Especially buffs to Mei and Sym, since they are countered by the powercreep right now and really need some QoL changes?

Better experiment: remove 2CP completely.

Pros: No more worst game mode in the game.

Cons: None

13 Likes

No more backcap shenanigans

I’m assuming it’s harder for the attackers to gain ult charge on Point B, since they will be constantly taking poke damage? I think it might be okay, though.

I’m sure if it were integrated, people would get used to it. Also, perhaps adding a giant wall to block off Point A attack would help as well.

I’ll predict the majority of players testing this will actually prefer it.

3 Likes

cyka blyat

6 Likes

I see the novelty in these ideas for Assault and see why this didn’t work out. That being said can I ask if you guys considered revisiting the “time bank minimum draw rule”

Back during patch 1.2, when Competitive was greatly revamped to the overall time bank system, Assault and Hybrid maps started the rule where if Team A fully completes the map with more than a minute remaining, but Team B completes the map with NO time remaining, a final round is played where team A needed to cap point A with the time remaining. Team B can only defend to end the match in a draw.

For seasons 2 through 4 this was a fair rule I thought, but when in season 4 you guys changed the Assault objective point capture percentage to have a tiebreaker, this made this specific situation feel a lot worse for the team who could no longer win the match (given the team with the remaining time bank had to get 33%/one-tick of the first point to win instead of the full objective point.

I wish to ask, is there any consideration to remove this rule and simply extend both team’s time bank by one-minute so that both teams can play to win the match in the next set of rounds?

8 Likes

These changes are very interesting indeed, but I’d say part of the hate just comes down to map design. For example, there’s only one way to get past the Hanamura A choke, making it very predictable for you on attack in how you push in.

I feel like fights just take place at the choke rather than the actual point most of the time.

13 Likes

Meh, not the type of experiment I was hoping for.

Oh well, hopefully it’ll be entertaining at least and hopefully contribute something towards improving Assault.