This community is never happy

Not surprised but dissapointed, I was saying that considering how many they realease and how poorly written this was theres a reason for people to ‘‘complain’’
But what did we expect with micheal missconseptions chu as lead writer…

Correction. Half of all players win each game. Half of the community is never happy.

I’m just angry that where’s Rein bug fixes for his charge at.

Shorts and new content is good and all but those have little bearing on our overall perception of the game’s state.

For example, awesome animated shorts and cool maps (I actually LOVE the new map) don’t deal with the character balance issue such as Brig being one of the easiest characters in the game while also having little risk to play and one of the highest reward ceilings while you still have Bastion who is just straight up fragile with an inconsistent reward ceiling.

I don’t think the short was bad, but it was certainly worse than I expected based on Blizzards excellent history with their shorts. It’s wrong to blindly hate something because it wasn’t what you expected, true. But if you expect me to sit here and just smile and nod and pretend I love everything, that’s crazy. If you want that, go play “We Happy Few”.

1 Like

I bought the game because of lore, the game is cool but not why I like it.

The characters and story is what I love, and I was hoping we would be in the middle of this epic story by now.

But 2 years later and nothing has happened.

I think that’s why people are dissapointed, just another short, the story didn’t move, and doesn’t look like it’s going to.

Let’s hope Blizzcon really surprises us. Blizz can’t miss this opportunity, they have charcters we love more then anything. If they don’t expand the lore, they are wasting it.

Don’t waste it blizz, you can make millions of of this👌

Let’s do this people.

4 Likes

Man, I would hate to be part or blizzard. Got people complaining 24/7 over every little thing. “OMG, not enough lore!” “There’s no cinimatics!” “Don’t focus on lore, fix hero’s!” “Why are we getting a D.va film when Lucio needs to!” It’s never ending. Why can’t people just enjoy the bits Blizzard does for us at NO extra cost? There’s a lot of time, money, and effort that goes into everything Blizzard does for us players, and all we can show for it is complaining? It’s not good enough? That’s so disappointing… the community is what’s hurting OW, not the devs.

1 Like

It’s full of adults that whine like spoiled little kids

1 Like

It honestly is also the fault of the silent majority. They don’t usually say something until after the fact to start saying something against the opposition.

The difference is I’m not asking you to buy anything from me.

You ever seen the WoW forums? It’s exactly the same and been going on for nearly 11 years now. It’s just how Blizzard’s general player base is.

I am happy. It has been a while since d.va got any attention.
The cinematic could have been better but I appreciate it just for respect. Also the cinematic team probably had it very hard with having also to do WoW cinematic at the same time.

1 Like
1 Like

I’d just like to point out that, without considering this specific situation, it is possible for a developer to belatedly deliver something that sucks. In such a situation the community may be ungrateful, but it’s not like their complaints would be unfounded. Your wording makes it sound like they should be thankful for getting anything, but I disagree, a minimum effort low quality token gesture shouldn’t be rewarded.

That said, doesn’t seem like that’s what happened here and there are always those who will be unhappy or complain, or want more than we were given (and granted, the feed of content has been slow, especially so for those who want lore).

Anyway, carry on.

1 Like

So everyone should shut up and just be happy that we got anything to begin with?

I agree that there are constructive ways to word opinions, but grouping up everyone who had an issue under ‘ungrateful’ is awfully ignorant of the general complaint.

The short was gorgeous and well made. It did not expand on DVa’s personality or personal history prior to the short. It kept the same depth that her in-game character has apart from hinting she may have PTSD. (Which is realistic, seeing as she’s 19 years old and fighting a war.) I wish we had more about her history or the history of what happened in Korea prior to initiate the MEKA program. How many strikes did it take before the government reacted? Was there prior MEKA candidates that mentored DVa, or is she among the first? Dae Hyun (sp?) is a childhood friend, but we only know that because Micheal Chu addressed him as such and a brief reference to a motorbike blowing up in their past.

There is so much that they could’ve introduced. I love what they did introduce, but that doesn’t mean I’m blind to the fact that we have no personal development for DVa. The fact is that a lot of people within the community were drawn into a FPS because of its lore elements-- and the lore has been stagnant lately. What this short has done is just cemented some information we already knew with a cinematic without moving forward the general plot of Overwatch, whether through history or present time events.

I do really enjoy the cinematic. Like I said-- it was written and drawn well. I will never sneeze at the opportunity to watch a Blizzard short. However, the last short was Reinhardt’s that came out last year. That short established character growth for Reinhardt and history of how he got his scar. It implies him taking up his comrade’s mantle to work for Overwatch.

DVa’s short shows us that she’s a military superstar with an attitude and a strong desire to save her city, bordering on sacrificing herself in order to get the job done. It shows us more her relationship with this unknown childhood friend, Dae Hyun, than it does to develop her character drives or development.

There’s a big difference between those two.

edit: this keeps getting longer and longer but tldr:
short good, short entertaining, short does not develop DVa like Glory developed Reinhardt or The Last Bastion developed Bastion.

3 Likes

100% this. I’ve seen too many posts that do come across as whiny and demanding, but that doesn’t mean that criticisms of the short are either unwarranted or invalid when delivered in a more respectful or expressive manner.

The dislike is maining coming from the gameplay of Overwatch than animated shorts. The developers here only focus on cosmetics, animated shorts and other accessories outside of hero tweaking which they’re bad at.

When something sucks, it sucks. We are allowed to critique it. I appreciate Blizzard for making this short, but there’s nothing else to really say.

Its not a requirement to like it and if people dont they should be allowed to voice their opinions. If we say everything is all good when it isnt will it ever get better?

In order:

• Cool but we don’t know anything about him. He literally only exists and shows a few minor personality traits.
  • Fair enough, but it’s not much.
  • I thought we already knew this?
  • Also fair. But the way it was expressed in the short wasn’t very interesting. Sure she shouldered the work on her own for the most part, but the ‘danger’ (arguably the focal point) in the short didn’t even feel like a danger, there was no buildup nor previous feeling of “oh $hit they mean business” to make it feel like an actual fight like there was in Honor and Glory.
  • Old News. Wouldn’t really be good character development if it were new anyhow.
  • Old News II
  • Is that really character development?
  • Refer to aforementioned

If character development wasn’t the focal point of the short, you’d think at least world building would have been.

Every other short had some combination of at least two of either world building, character building, or engaging action scenes.
I always liked Hana Song. D.va always felt like a self aware joke, but the kind that doesn’t gain any value from being self aware. Sure she’s Hana here, but barely so. We didn’t learn a whole lot about her, we didn’t learn a whole lot about the world, and the action was barely strong enough to call action. And the focal point of the short in the first place is that the bad guys came early so she deals with them alone before backup would arrive. It didn’t feel very genuine.