@Forum community:

Where do you draw the line between criticising a game you paid for and ‘being ungrateful’? Are they interchangeable terms, or are they mutually exclusive?

Is this thread (What is going on with the game?) ‘being ungrateful’?

Directed @ This community is never happy .

1 Like

hey man, i have money ready to pay for good content (if money is what they need)…i’m not seeing good content…

8 Likes

It’s all about the tone of the post in all reality. I can’t explain it to be honest (I’m mentally and physically exhausted atm) but it’s something I notice when I see it.

1 Like

I’d lean towards mutually exclusive, criticism is necessary to express our feelings towards lackluster content or lack of some much needed bug fixes and/or updates.

New map is exciting.
The D.va short was visually appealing, but a big let down for me.

4 Likes

There is no such thing as being “ungrateful” when it comes to Overwatch.

It’s a AAA $40/60 title. Any added media outside of the game or changes/addition inside the game are part of the company’s budget/investment to get more people to buy the game / spend money inside the game.

Everything is a calculated business transaction / marketing.

8 Likes

I can critique something if i don’t like it.

There is no such thing as “ungrateful” when it comes to products, even if that product is free.

3 Likes

Being “grateful” to a publicly traded corporation is beyond ridiculous.

Everything they do is to make money, to the point that they’re expected to be able to justify everything to their stakeholders.

4 Likes

When we criticize things that a company like EA would never give us.

Every customer complaint is actually an opportunity for more business. The only way to succeed in business is to offer customers what they are asking for.

Expecting customers to stop asking for stuff is nonsense.

2 Likes

Feedback is not only about positive comments.

Whining is when someone just says ‘this sucks bye’, without giving a reason or further comments.

The majority of people who are not content with the new animated short give actual reasons why so not, it is not whining. It is feedback.

What is amusing is that all that content is believed to be given ‘for free’ just for us.

My people, which corporation, any kind of corporation, does things for free without getting a benefit from it ? How in the world will they maintain the player base if they won’t add new content in the game in first place ? How will they earn money from lootboxes and merch if there is no player base to buy it to begin with ?

Like honestly, I do not understand those who call everyone else ungrateful for expressing different opinions while the reality is just there.

5 Likes

There is no being ungrateful. We paid for this game and many of us have paid for lootboxes etc. This isn’t some free game.

There’s nothing wrong with being upset at things, especially given how the devs are often 0% transparent about some longstanding bugs and such. How long was Sym F tier? How long was earthshatter bugged?

I don’t get why they don’t just have dedicated community outreach people who regularly update us on what devs are working on / looking at.

4 Likes

Any publicly visible thing a company does is advertisement, if nothing else. So if Blizzard puts out, say, a hero short, a lack of views or many “bye” comments could still be taken as constructive feedback, with the right attitude.

1 Like

I was thinking, maybe I’m expecting too much. Maybe I am being ungrateful. Then I realised f*ck that, I paid $40 for this game.

1 Like

Stop comparing companies to EA. EA are rock bottom, not the standard company. If a company does something EA doesn’t, OF COURSE THEY DON’T. IT’S EA.

If a company does something that EA would do/did do, that’s really bad.
If a company doesn’t do something EA did (That was bad) that’s what they should be doing, it’s not always a noteworthy point.

That being said, the animated shorts are above and beyond what is typically expected, and I love them.

I’m glad you brought up this topic as it opens up a lot of room for interesting discussion.

It really comes down to PERCEPTION and how/what people choose to place their focus on.

If you look at Overwatch as a whole, you can easily see it from two drastically different angles: 1) How good and 2) How bad the game is.

Of course the majority of players will share a bit of both sides when forming their own opinion, and similarly a lot of these threads in question comes down to how they choose to view things. It’s a mental attitude that determines whether or not you will be more critical or receptive of whatever it is you’re dealing with.

Don’t get me wrong: when people observe faults of the game, I’m not saying they are creating imaginary things that are wrong with the game in their mind; they are objectively there and people oftentimes have valid concerns pertaining to them. But sometimes they are so focused on those things that they also miss other genuinely good things too. That’s where you start to see the delineation from being “appreciative and constructive” to “critical and unthankful”.

That being said, Overwatch is just a game (and a non-subscription one at that); I think that we as a community need to loosen up our expectations a little because there are more important things in life to worry about. If this were our family household that Blizzard is managing, that would be an entirely different story. But it’s not, and IMHO we need to treat it accordingly.

2 Likes

This is the best advice when concerning Overwatch fandom moving forward.

Expect nothing or very little, and you’ll come out with a positive experience.

this community is mixed with 2 circlejerks

“Blizz is literally a godsend and you’re all sinners for not liking them”
and
“Blizz is literally satan and everything they do is corrupt and horrible”

Obviously Blizzard isn’t exactly the God of balance, lore progression or even OWL management. But because of their faults they should be open to criticism to encourage them to improve

1 Like

That’s why I vote with my wallet. When they do good they get lootbox money, when they don’t they get nothing. If they want to know why then they can look at the forums or they can choose to ignore it.

As you should! I would never condone spending money on a service that you think would be an unwise investment.

I’m not trying to be edgy here, but why would I ever be grateful for something I bought? I am grateful for things that someone did for my benefit that cost them something. When I open up a can of soup I am not grateful that it’s contents are what I expected, it was just a commercial transaction.

2 Likes