New D.Va cinematic: People either hate it, love it, or think its okay

IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THOSE THREE!!! Where do you land?

You’ve forgotten people that don’t care.

It’s ok.

We’ve waited so long that I think a lot of people want to like it.

Unfortunately, it’s just…not good. You can’t even put it in the same category as Dragons or The Last Bastion.

3 Likes

I did enjoy it. But if i had to rank the shorts, it would be a weaker one.
Honor and Glory did spoil us.

2 Likes

it’s okay.

really liked that the finally gave dva some lore content. but, i felt her portrayal was a little lackluster. she didn’t have very many flaws; in game she’s a self absorbed diva. at the cost of making her annoying to people, i thought they should have pushed that further in the short. instead, she was really chill and thoughtful… and nothing like how she is ingame. i guess they’re going for a big time celeb who just puts on a show, but is actually nice and normal behind closed doors, which is fine. but a little boring.

It’s ok.

read expanded opinion here:

Theres a wierd assumption that I think is being put out there: If you criticized it, you hated it.

Look, I enjoyed it. I think for an action short, its pretty solid. Im disappointed that frmo a story telling point it fell short.

Thats a common criticism a lot of people are having. Very few people I feel are saying “Nah it totally sucks! Hate it!”

Its more like, “Yeah, its cool. I appreciate it. But Im also lowkey disappointed in the story telling side.”

4 Likes

It’s okay.

If we’re placing it on the comparative scale of Blizzard cinematics, it’s terrible. But that’s because Blizzard cinematics are normally amazing, and this one isn’t. It’s just okay.

To elaborate a little, Blizzard’s cinematics historically have always evoked emotions. We get that tense feeling of cheering for the hero in peril, or the surreal and epic feeling of watching a massive battlefield unfold, or the tragic feeling of a cherished character’s loss or sacrifice. This one had none of that. It did still have great visual quality and animation; but the artists and animators and directors were just doing what they could without a good written story to convey.

It’s okay. A 5 year old could have done better though.

None of the above.
"Ok’’ is too weak. It’s just really good, but I don’t love it…
That title belongs to Dragons, Honor and Glory, and The last Bastion.

D.va main here. It’s …okay.

It is ok I guess.
The first time when I watched it, I wasn’t very impressed but I feel it grows on me the more I watch it. It is good. just not the level of good as some of the other shorts.

I don’t plan on watching it because D.VA is one of, if not my least favorite character.

It might be a bit early to tell.

World of Warcraft dropped a Warbringer cinematic recently that went over very badly to start with.

It lead to images like the below getting thousands of upvotes and comments on reddit

They then had more lore in the form of two roughly 80 page short stores and another cinematic and much of the players being upset cooled down a bit(I would not say that everyone is happy still but, much of the frustration appeared to have been reduced)

If they don’t have anything else to tie in and their isn’t any twist I think the world building is deeply problematic and the limited plot movement is frustrating. I’m also not a fan of the putting all the $ and effort into a cinematic a few times a year and making it primarily emotional. I think it’d be more effective to do action primarily in cinematics and primarily due emotion in other mediums.