This community is never happy

It’s full of adults that whine like spoiled little kids

1 Like

It honestly is also the fault of the silent majority. They don’t usually say something until after the fact to start saying something against the opposition.

The difference is I’m not asking you to buy anything from me.

You ever seen the WoW forums? It’s exactly the same and been going on for nearly 11 years now. It’s just how Blizzard’s general player base is.

I am happy. It has been a while since d.va got any attention.
The cinematic could have been better but I appreciate it just for respect. Also the cinematic team probably had it very hard with having also to do WoW cinematic at the same time.

1 Like
1 Like

I’d just like to point out that, without considering this specific situation, it is possible for a developer to belatedly deliver something that sucks. In such a situation the community may be ungrateful, but it’s not like their complaints would be unfounded. Your wording makes it sound like they should be thankful for getting anything, but I disagree, a minimum effort low quality token gesture shouldn’t be rewarded.

That said, doesn’t seem like that’s what happened here and there are always those who will be unhappy or complain, or want more than we were given (and granted, the feed of content has been slow, especially so for those who want lore).

Anyway, carry on.

1 Like

So everyone should shut up and just be happy that we got anything to begin with?

I agree that there are constructive ways to word opinions, but grouping up everyone who had an issue under ‘ungrateful’ is awfully ignorant of the general complaint.

The short was gorgeous and well made. It did not expand on DVa’s personality or personal history prior to the short. It kept the same depth that her in-game character has apart from hinting she may have PTSD. (Which is realistic, seeing as she’s 19 years old and fighting a war.) I wish we had more about her history or the history of what happened in Korea prior to initiate the MEKA program. How many strikes did it take before the government reacted? Was there prior MEKA candidates that mentored DVa, or is she among the first? Dae Hyun (sp?) is a childhood friend, but we only know that because Micheal Chu addressed him as such and a brief reference to a motorbike blowing up in their past.

There is so much that they could’ve introduced. I love what they did introduce, but that doesn’t mean I’m blind to the fact that we have no personal development for DVa. The fact is that a lot of people within the community were drawn into a FPS because of its lore elements-- and the lore has been stagnant lately. What this short has done is just cemented some information we already knew with a cinematic without moving forward the general plot of Overwatch, whether through history or present time events.

I do really enjoy the cinematic. Like I said-- it was written and drawn well. I will never sneeze at the opportunity to watch a Blizzard short. However, the last short was Reinhardt’s that came out last year. That short established character growth for Reinhardt and history of how he got his scar. It implies him taking up his comrade’s mantle to work for Overwatch.

DVa’s short shows us that she’s a military superstar with an attitude and a strong desire to save her city, bordering on sacrificing herself in order to get the job done. It shows us more her relationship with this unknown childhood friend, Dae Hyun, than it does to develop her character drives or development.

There’s a big difference between those two.

edit: this keeps getting longer and longer but tldr:
short good, short entertaining, short does not develop DVa like Glory developed Reinhardt or The Last Bastion developed Bastion.

3 Likes

100% this. I’ve seen too many posts that do come across as whiny and demanding, but that doesn’t mean that criticisms of the short are either unwarranted or invalid when delivered in a more respectful or expressive manner.

The dislike is maining coming from the gameplay of Overwatch than animated shorts. The developers here only focus on cosmetics, animated shorts and other accessories outside of hero tweaking which they’re bad at.

When something sucks, it sucks. We are allowed to critique it. I appreciate Blizzard for making this short, but there’s nothing else to really say.

Its not a requirement to like it and if people dont they should be allowed to voice their opinions. If we say everything is all good when it isnt will it ever get better?

In order:

• Cool but we don’t know anything about him. He literally only exists and shows a few minor personality traits.
  • Fair enough, but it’s not much.
  • I thought we already knew this?
  • Also fair. But the way it was expressed in the short wasn’t very interesting. Sure she shouldered the work on her own for the most part, but the ‘danger’ (arguably the focal point) in the short didn’t even feel like a danger, there was no buildup nor previous feeling of “oh $hit they mean business” to make it feel like an actual fight like there was in Honor and Glory.
  • Old News. Wouldn’t really be good character development if it were new anyhow.
  • Old News II
  • Is that really character development?
  • Refer to aforementioned

If character development wasn’t the focal point of the short, you’d think at least world building would have been.

Every other short had some combination of at least two of either world building, character building, or engaging action scenes.
I always liked Hana Song. D.va always felt like a self aware joke, but the kind that doesn’t gain any value from being self aware. Sure she’s Hana here, but barely so. We didn’t learn a whole lot about her, we didn’t learn a whole lot about the world, and the action was barely strong enough to call action. And the focal point of the short in the first place is that the bad guys came early so she deals with them alone before backup would arrive. It didn’t feel very genuine.

I was happy with the animated short, but I was just a bit disappointed that after
7-8 months of waiting for another animated short, we just got another short that is just the usual 8 minutes long. I was at least expecting the short to be like 10-15 minutes long considering the wait. I really don’t mind that it was a short for D.VA though, I thought it was pretty cool and quite entertaining, I was just expecting a little more for how long we all waited. :man_shrugging:

Thanks I was just about to post that.
Some lines are callbacks to things that did happen in canon but the other 98% of the game is non canon and just fun fluff for fans

A lot of people want improvements on the current content more than new content. Like hero balances and bug fixes.

it’s almost like were not a hive mind or something weird right?

i mean how often in history do we spam or make a big deal about how complacent,good or peaceful something is.

currently there are some bugs that do ruin a hero and have been around for more than a year as balance leans more towards precise playing these bugs stand out more and more with not a fix insight, ontop of that 90% of the content added is in a lootbox and doesn’t actually add anything.

I’m fine with new heroes being added as long as previous ones aren’t bethesda quality of design (i.e super buggy) if thats the case then don’t add another one till that problems fixed (doomfist)

also this summer games has to be the weakest event, zero bug fixes to a bugged gamemode that the majority are already sick off when there are other games they can do, like genji baseball or winston basketball. but nope just some legendaries an emote (though it really is a cute emote) and the standard amount of sprays and voice lines with some purple skins

I’m on my way to your house to dump my garbage can on your porch. You better appreciate it, because it’s my gift to you. It’s free, how dare you be disgusted and yell at me you ungrateful swine.

Neither is Blizzard with the cinematics. Those who own their game and don’t get to enjoy the cinematics equally. Lots of people who don’t own the game and don’t want to own the game enjoy the cinematics.

So your point is moot.

Uh, yes they are.

Blizzard is definitely trying to keep me as a customer so that I continue playing the game and buying loot boxes/skins.