The return of open queue ruined role queue

Please do provide the source from which you’ve been able to draw this conclusion.

Very true, but this doesn’t invalidate my previous point.

Same here as well, as until you provide actual arguments for once that lead you to personally believe that the evidence available is invalid, then all such claims are nothing but baseless, I’m afraid.

the source is the absence of said survey

It actually does.

On this subpoint, we have reached the “yes it is” “no it isnt” level, so I wont addressing this specific subpoint further in this specific discussion

2 Likes

A fair argument indeed, though the lack of complete data from surveys/etc. doesn’t necessarily mean in any way that a specific point is automatically invalid, as it has been proven in both statements related (like for example the claim from Jeff that the majority of comps pre - 2/2/2 role - lock in Competitive were actually of a 2/2/2 composition) or even not related to overwatch at all.

Argumentation once again needed.

I’m not sure what is being claimed as “proven” in the statement above

2 Likes

Queue times are the only hard evidence that we have, which you keep ignoring.

Edit: Also, calling queue times “anecdotal”. The evidence for queue times is completely the opposite of anecdotal. The relative times for each role is consistently in favor of tanks for all ranks, except maybe at the very top.

3 Likes

This statement:

Queue times 1. Are inherently an anecdotal metric for the time being and therefore plain and simple do not constitute evidence… I’m not ignoring anything here. 2. If hypothetically they did constitute evidence, they simply do not directly answer the question of whether the majority of the player base actually enjoys 2/2/2 role - lock or not.

What do you feel is the definition of “anecdotal”?

1 Like

Something without a fancy chart or 12 page study/essay backing it up.

not at all

to have attitudinal data, one must gather said data

there has been no gathering of said data

not at all

a huge number of folks have reported on the excessive queue times, and Blizzard has acknowledged these verbally and with time and effort (equals cash investment) multiple times.

2 Likes

In this specific case, queue times themselves plain and simple differ from person to person… I face different queue times, you probably face queue times, etc.

If of course you are able to find actual evidence for example that proves a major increase of queue times in general throughout the game after 2/2/2 role - lock’s release, then of course that could be very well considered as an indication of the system’s failure, etc.

Not to mention how the biggest piece of evidence towards people’s issues with open queues “ermagerd 5 instalock dps” is more anecdotal evidence than anything in favor of it.

1 Like

And I’m going to repeat that there’s no proof that this statement is true or not for the time being…

Read my last response.

The long queue times for DPS especially aren’t anything anecdotal… That’s a well -documented fact and I apologize if I made it seem otherwise.

A claim for example that queue times have increased since 2/2/2 role - lock’s release would be anecdotal and only such claims related to queue times can be considered as answers to whether the majority of players enjoy the 2/2/2 role - lock system or not, etc.

Only based on:

• Rank (MMR)
  • Role
  • Day/time

If these are identical or very similar , then our queue times will be indistinguishable. Blizzard already spent time thinking about this multiple times, because it’s not an easy problem to solve.

The only thing that can be said is that many players still want Role Queue, but what we have today isn’t quite it.

I don’t envy the game devs to try and figure it out, and I definitely don’t blame the devs for stumbling on this one.

4 Likes

I still stand by the idea that role queue is unnecessary if there were more/better tools to curate your team and encourage players to group. Clans come to mind for one. The more players play with the same teammates they trust the less they have to worry about what exact comp they’ll run and can even be flexible between roles with their clanmates.

3 Likes

Yes well he also said the same thing about the LFG system

2 Likes

Hey man, don’t hate on ROATS. It actually works.

1 Like

Minor, but still significant wording differences aside, if only all that initial overall success had translated to the LFG system getting fixed from the very beginning and therefore to the lack of need for a 2/2/2 role - lock system in the first place :frowning:

Oh and don’t forget he said the same thing about the endorsement system supposedly reducing abusive chat (The EU region is conveniently left out)

The manipulation or misinterpretation of data to make oneself look better and more successful than one really is may very well be routine for developers
Now to be clear I do believe that Jeff is an honest person and does genuinely believe the things he has posted

2 Likes

Thats the issue with RQ, imo. In OQ, those combos (or lack thereof) aren’t as much of a threat/issue. They can be worked around more, especially if a crucial teammate is being uncooperative or ineffective.

1 Like

But what makes you think this statement as well from Jeff was not true at the time of the Endorsement System’s release?

Very fair. Possible data manipulation, even though almost always unverified, is certainly the major point against the validity of all such statements.