The patch went back live again

Dive streamer and their obsession about “brig broken” is like a wet blanket over any discussion of balance.

Its simply not connected to the actual game.

The “brig broken” narrative is completely gone if you go to any other part of the community, from gold to the top. Its only a few streamers and their fans.

That is why the claims are always based on made up numbers. She is average at the top, her win and pick rates are as acceptable as any tank or dps.

There is no reason to rework something that works and is balanced.

Or should Brig players get to rework the “abomination” Tracer?

Jeff even talked about it. There is this narrative about Brig, that leads to lower ranks playing her wrong.

You can play her up front, as long as you are careful. Move in move out. Makes perfect sense with her kit.

1 Like

Someone finally speaking the harsh truth

I also uninstalled for the first time ever, they trully are making their way to gaining more tank players lol, we are all quitting the game or switching to DPS role.

Strange how they are played together in OWL then…

Tanks should not win automatically just by jumping in, they have to do team work just like the rest of us.

Streamers and their fanboys can make all the claims they want, at the end of the day the game is not played like that.

Seriously?? The rein changes are absolutely terrible and so are the ball changes. Plus, they literally just threw them on live without even so much as thinking about it. I don’t understand how people think this is ok.

1 Like

It’s amazing how many ball haters are actually saying the ball change is bad. You know they messed up

Not to mention rein shattering through walls and shields

1 Like

People don’t realize that the ball change barely effects spintowin, it mostly effects his pre game set ups.

3 Likes

Spent 2 days QP toying with the changes:

Moira – I like this change. It fits her and gives her the ability to go in high pleaces without useing map object. So it gives you more mobility.

Reinhardt – Unnecessary. If any of the buffs in this patch is later deemed too strong, this is the one. And it’s also a really bug one right now. But If you decide that this change must Stay I would lower the radious by 0.75

Hanzo – I like it, it’s ok. The only thing I would change is that he no longer do headshot isnta kill. so I would take it from him headshot ability. Just to get rid of random arrow headshot kills.

Cassidy – don’t like it its Unnecessary. We’ve been with this update few months ago and everyone says it’s bad. Back then was negative and now it also negative. Just never return to it.

Torbjorn – not a fan of tobiejorge but I play him from time to time, I do not see this change usefull. Hes the back up line so I kinda dont get it this 250hp when all what hee ned is 225 or even 200.

Wrecking Ball – I played ball few times (to be true just for achivments), it’s beyond my understanding how to play this hero exapte spin2win.
I would add for him secound CD and a sound when the grappling hook is about to detached.

hmm… the problem here is from what Ive already see is with which hero get buff coze right now its Coleslav that getting buffed every time, just info to think about it.

Just want to point out that the feedback towards this patch on Reddit is also unanimously negative as well.

These changes were already tested. You received similar feedback. Then you brought it back and put it on live.

I’m baffled. If these get pushed to live, it definitely will feel like our feedback, regardless of however in unison across multiple platforms it is, does not matter.

4 Likes

But i get all my opinions from perpetually whining internet posts, what else am i supposed do?

The Reinhardt changes are bugged and need to be fixed. As described in the patch notes, they’re fine.

The Ball changes are fine.

And the changes were literally on an Experimental card a month ago. Some of them have been on multiple Experimental cards. It’s fine.

I just told you I don’t watch streamers or care for them. It is time for you to let it go. The hero has no place in an fps, fundamentally does not work in any elo or rank. She was not reworked well at all for 222 and literally broke the game before that. She is used in most of the t500 ladder and nearly required in OWL pro matches when she shouldn’t be. Overhaul or vault or pve only for this hero.

1 Like

And those changes, mid air roll and torb ammo buff, were recieved poorly. The Shatter buff and the ricochet SA were tested on the same patch were Hog could fly…

These needed to be tested again under normal circunstances and there is no excuse for the mid air roll nor the torb ammo buff.

more like, spoken like a true rancid Sym main

They already did? They never even hit experimental, they just went straight to live.

1 Like

Sign the petition for having this patch gone.

1 Like

Well, you asked measured feedback:

Okay, let’s do it. This will be specifically in reference to Cassidy and Hanzo.

First, let’s get the obvious out of the way:

Power
Both heroes were before the patch dominant heroes. They are over represented in play and over performing when compared to other heroes. These buffs are pure power increases on heroes that do not need them. There are no downsides. That alone makes them bad changes.

Okay, that out of the way.

Cassidy:
The problem when dealing with Cassidy is a combination of output and lack of weaknesses. His output is higher than most heroes. The fire rate and damage value for his shots means he represents a threat at a decent range. Most heroes cannot put out damage sufficient to reasonably compete in a range shootout. To attack him requires being behind a shield or taking cover otherwise the damage he does, even with less accuracy is just to high for most heroes to be able to kill him in the same window he can kill them. At the same time between flash, fan and roll getting in close is also a significant disadvantage. At the end of the day, he really has few weaknesses you can exploit, especially compared to other heroes.

This is where the first real problem comes in. The air roll effectively removes an option. He can’t really be displaced by any mechanism anymore. This reduces possible ways of dealing with him. And, as he already has few it is very felt.

Additionally, the faster movement from jumping and the ability to cross gaps both makes it easier for him to escape when he is in trouble as well as engage on your. This feels very similar to the issues caused by his longer roll distance, which had to be nerfed. He can now engage on your from further to do his flash>fan. This can easily put a lot of heroes in the realm of ‘nothing I can do.’ Which is obviously a bad place to be.

In short, the buff allows easier offense and quicker escapes. Both of which make dealing with an already hard to deal with hero even more imbalanced.

Hanzo:
Hanzo is similar to Cassidy in the fact that he gets a lot of value at range. The difference is often it feels very random. Spamming arrows towards a team is a very rewarding tactic. Even body shots take a significant amount of health. And get a head shot and you often get a kill and a fight win. Coupled with the raw burst (especially on tanks) of Storm Arrows, it often is at best problematic to deal with. And there is a lower skill requirement because so much value ends up being just from those random head shots. And like Cassidy he is also hard to deal with close range. Storm Arrows gives him an almost shotgun response when dove.

And this is where the change gets really problematic. On some characters you can outplay his rapid fire and dodge around. The problem is now the bounces mean you not only have to dodge the first shot, you have to dodge the ricochet. Wall behind you can mean that it bounces back into you. He can miss and hit the ground or a stair and have it bounce into you. This drastically reduces his skill requirement in fighting off a dive. It drastically lowers the options for dealing with him.

Additionally, there is already the issue of spam 1-shots. Having those coming around corners where you cannot see them until you just die is a really bad design. There is really little counter play to him spamming potential 1 shots around a corner.

In short, the change adds to the random value, negates options to deal with him and just makes the already strong hero more obnoxious to deal with.

4 Likes

Alternative is players constantly dying, and contrary to direction developers push in, players want to live. But of course their solution will be even higher damage.

After having played this most recent (Jan 6) patch extensively, I can say without a doubt that I would rather it be completely reverted / removed from the game.

I consider all the changes completely unnecessary, a few of these items were removed from the game or otherwise not added for good reason, and now they're being re-implemented?!  I don't know who thought that was a brilliant idea.

So let’s get started:

Cassidy / McCree)
The combat roll in mid-air was deemed by the developers and players to be too powerful an ability for Cassidy to have as no one could come to a positive implementation in any of the Testing / PTR / Experimental patches that would satisfy all balance criteria at the time.
This should be once again removed, as per it failing to be implemented successfully three times. Firstly around May of 2019, Second attempt was around Sept. 2020, and if I recall correctly the third and final attempt being in July 2021 and removed for the exact reason as above.

Hanzo)
Scatter Arrows were removed from the game in 2018, and replaced with the Storm Arrows due to the controversial nature of Scatter being able to head-shot anyone around corners and their extremely large damage potential (400 dmg)
With the ability to have the Storm Arrows Ricochet once being added, my fear is that you are making it start to feel dangerously close to claiming that the dev’s were just messing with us this entire time and are wanting to just remove Storm Arrows and give Hanzo his Scatter back.

Reinhardt)
Even though I typically want the tank role buffed in different ways, I consider the change as being unnecessary, for his ultimate didn’t need additional damage in my opinion, simply having a slightly longer stun instead.
My reasoning is that as anyone caught in his ult is usually close enough to get hit by it to start. Which means they are also usually close enough to be smacked around a few times with his hammer.

Wrecking Ball)
While I typically don’t play ball, I do play him in custom games.
Most map authors I’m aware of and the resulting maps I’ve played on as a result typically don’t change the settings, or change them very much, and as a result I could test his grapple in multiple environments.
What I can tell you is that having his grapple time-limited is an extremely bad idea. Of all the maneuverability strats I know and can pull off, it requires the ability to be grappled for longer. An example of this is the ability to swing up high and hang in the rafters for long periods of time before pile-driving and initiating whichever different flanking strat was chosen rather than being directly involved in the firefight from the get go.

Torbjorn)
The Ammo change is kind of in the air for me, I’m leaning towards it being a positive thing. My only real displeasure with it is seeing Mei and Hog have their ammo count per shot changed for their Alt-Fire; However, to balance this, their full magazine count had been modified as well, of which I have not seen be done with Torb.

Moira)
Her ability to jump higher while in fade has actually caused more problems for the players I’ve seen using her movement abilities. With this change, Moira ends up being easy picking now for DPS players, as she now spends far too much time in the air.
I consider this to be because the player-base has been accustomed to jumping at the end of fade for additional HORIZONTAL, not VERTICAL distance. Having said this, the times I do play Moira, I now no longer jump at the end of using Fade for the distance I want is no longer achievable as instead I gain too much height, making me miss which entrance I was aiming for.