The hypocrisy of "skill"?

Get good.
As pointed out above Brig punishes players who think they are better than they are and position sloppily and are too aggressive.
So if she wastly outperforms someone it’s because that player have been getting away with sloppy plays.

Almost no actual Rein mains complain about Brig because she’s easy to defeat as Rein.

1 Like

why would i get good when i can just solo brig from plat to gm like literally many people have

Yes, and if that happened it was because we got outplayed. So no, it doesn’t bother me.

My team could have easily prevented it with breaking the opponents’ shields, or displacing Brigitte or Reinhardt. If my team didn’t react, we got outplayed.

2 Likes

But they dont.
What you and many others fail to understand is that picking up a high-skill hero on the spawn doesnt yield you an advantage against “easy heroes”, you have to EARN it

“Omg Mcree doesnt win 100% of the times vs Junkrat RageeEEEREEEEEEEE

It doesnt work like that and it wont, and its intended that it will not. Ever.

3 Likes

The majority of Overwatch players are bad, so if there is a hero who destroys the bad players, the majority will cry for a nerf.

I have some example for the pre-Roadhog nerf. The Bastion trauma and now the DeleteBrigitte movement.

In my opinion, only listen the majority is really bad but only listen the pro minority is bad too.

It will be so cool to have like 12.5% of each ranks : Bronze-Silver-Gold-Plat-Diamond-Master-GM-T500.

But the reality is this Competitive Mode Tier Distribution

3 Likes

I have seen this so many times in other games, especially MOBAs, people think that since they are playing a “difficult” character they should automatically be entitled to win if they play against “easier” characters.

It is especially funny when they keep insisting they should automatically win against characters they think are easier to play, even if that character is DESIGNED to COUNTER their own character.

5 Likes

i said easy to play heroes should never not all easy to play heroes factually outperform
junkrat is trash atm and just about a troll pick
yes brig should be viable at top tier but not statistically outperforming skill based heroes

Please.
1st please don’t compare statistics of supports and DPS/tanks, it doesn’t work like that
2nd she’s not outperforming Ana who’s considered “high skill” hero, or Moira, or Zen. They all have their usages.

If you’re talking about a “high skill” DPS running straight into her face to get maced to the face, well, that’s his bad, not Brig outperforming a “high skill” hero.

PS. Back to my OP, there’s not any measurable “skill” apart from the mechanical one. And that one is hardly the most importat in a game like Overwatch. OW =/= CoD

1 Like

im comparing the winrate almost every user i see has a 60% win rate on the hero at all ranks

Well then, I’m sure that is a very, very representative stat from a representative number of players in this game.

Brig isn’t outperforming any “high skill” heroes. She’s good at what she does, but she’s not unstoppable. She’s not immune to Widow clicking her head, someone shoot her shield from range for 1 second (literally Orisa’s pea shooter is enough) and her most important asset is gone. I’m sorry if a player get comboed as Tracer, perhaps don’t get in her range next time or don’t play Tracer into Brig.

Sure, if she’s literally never touched Mercy and doesn’t know the logistics of using her kit, she might not do so well. But a GM Ana could play around with Mercy for an hour and use her in comp. This is because her actually kit lacks complexity. Sure, Mercy requires skill, but it’s not anything other supports don’t need. Thus, stemming the idea that Mercy requires very little or “no skill”.

In fact, mL7 (debatated to be one of the best Anas) did a Mercy stream and kept up fine.

Hahahah, I know ml7, I like his streams (taught me a lot about Ana and Moira!) and this one was really funny. Especially for me because as a (former) Mercy main I could finally see billion mistakes in his Mercy gameplay, something I can’t say about his Ana.

“Skill” never was about aiming. Aiming is a means to balance the core and simple concept I’m going to talk about now.

Effort/ Investement / Risk versus Rewards.

The reason why people use the shortcut of “character that needs to aim are skillfull” is because learn to aim is an investment of your time. An effort that allow to unlock the potential of the hero. But aiming is not the only investment you can make.

The Winston case:
You can pick Winston day one, and have a fairly good understanding of what to do with the character. However actually doing your job well and surviving requires a lot of precision in the movement, the position and foresight.

• You miss dive, you get punished.
  • You cut line of sight from your healer you get punished.
  • You fight the wrong fight, you get punished.
  • You jump to far, you get punished.
  • Not far enough, the target goes away.

You have to put thoughs into your play and invest some time to learn key concept and optimal dive angles. You have to learn to precisely jump. Anni-cancel. Actually making kills with primal rage. Being aware enough of your surrondings to not break line of sight from healer, while breaking line of sight from the ennemies.
Reinhart is the same when you think about it. he has the same rewards versus investment attached to it.

The Brigitte case:

Everyone hates Brigitte because she requirs no, to very little effort / investment / risk and still have one of the biggest impact / reward in the game.

Lest’s take your arguments:

I would be OK with this if you had a choice about “going into” Brigitte range. When a GOAT is going onto the point, you have to contest and go into her range at some point. You can only chill at range for that long.

Actually I do not know. All Brigitte play the same to me. The game plan is super straight forward. Protect the back line. Flail ASAP to get heal going on. Coordinate with Rein for the shatter combo.

Again the problem with Brigitte is that she “passively” counter character like Tracer. Rally put 100 armor to everyone with no time constraint. Meaning a Tracer will roughly need 1 to 2 second more on a target to kill them. This is more than enough to get peeling from anybody else or for that Zen to find a headshot. therefore Brigitte counters Tracer while not even be here actively trying. No effort, massive reward.

Again, the whole kit of Brigitte is 0 effort, 0 risk, 0 investment but still to this day she has one of the biggest winrate out of all characters. 0 effort = 0 aim needed, 0 risk because none of her skills actually put her in danger. Example bashing a Rein to combo a shatter is enterly risk free, yet has the same killing potential as a nano blade maybe more. 0 investment because your positioning is dictated by your teammates. near the support, or slightly behind the Rein.

0,0,0 and yet Max reward.

She does have counters on paper, but in perspective of how the game is working and how GOAT is working the best counter is a stronger GOAT. You have to come to range and nothing survive GOAT in range better than another GOAT. In short the best counter to Brigitte is another Brigitte.

And that’s exactly what my post was about.

I won’t react to the rest of your post, I take it you somewhat disagree and I respect that. One thing tho:

This is simply wrong in my opinion. If she was this, she’d be an absolute must pick by now. She’s not, not even in the support category (Ana is in higher ranks). If she was this, she shouldn’t be a hero in the game, yet she is (and I hope she will stay).

Meibe players could learn to punish her for her mistakes just like you can punish a Winston who missed a dive? Perhaps a Brig that misses shield bash should be dead in the upcoming 7 seconds? Just a thought. You know, the same as when you focus a Tracer because you call out she just used Recall and all her blinks. She should be dead then.

1 Like

The fact is that people seem to want skill from their counters all the time.
Because god forbid being outplayed by a cheesy mechanic that you know exists, and for which there is definitely counterplay but you’re too stubborn to actually do that counterplay.

Maybe… just maybe… if you do not possess the skill required to kill a no-skill hero, then it means you are lacking skill. Simple as that.
Just because you play a high-skilled hero does not mean you actually have higher skill.

5 Likes

Well said. It is a little bit of a paradox that some players seem to think that if they play a “high-skill” hero they are entitled to an instant win, no matter how poorly they perform.

4 Likes

Actually we expect to win if we perform better than the enemy team.
Easy heroes are the ones that allow you to win no matter how poorly you perform.

1 Like

And it’s a good thing that is something which is not how the game is balanced, with having counter alternatives to every hero as we do now.

1 Like

That was true about post rework Mercy and she was absolutely everywhere. Yet Brig… where is she? No Brigitte has a good kit, that much is true. But she is easily broken. Don’t go into melee range and she is half the hero. And with Ashe coming she will suffer greatly.

2 Likes