Talk about the matchmaking before we talk about balance

life, school, everything teaches you that complicated problems like these require complicated descriptions of those problems and lengthy videos to illustrate whatever is being presented. Everything worthwhile in the world has always required a lot of words. Everything.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what they do….the matchmaking will always be questionable…and people are going to blame it….

Matchmakers and blame go hand in hand going all the way back to dawn of online gaming….it’s what people always blame

Nor do we help it….you want it to improve? Ok here’s a way it will actually improve….get people to not Smurf….good luck….problem with that is that outside of launching OW2 (which will help to a degree because people will mostly just play one account initially) there is no good way to actually do that…

But that’s not going to change the fact that people think their teammates are never good enough (and opponents are always better)….that they’re being held back by intentional shackling….even though you’re supposed to face harder competition as you climb and easier if you drop if a matchmaker is doing it’s job

Long story short - you’re going to hate matchmaking in OW2…why? Cause it’s not going to change……and Cause it’s what people like to do….blame matchmakers

1 Like

nobody cares about your emotional response. prove that you have built matchmakers and then I can by defacto believe the rest of your comment. Stop fishing for likes.

2 Likes

Bits of it are older. I think it is an update grabbing parts of old videos.

This is like the Qanon of gaming

1 Like

Oh nvm it came around that time: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/algorithmic-handicapping-is-wrong-for-online-games

Edit: Oh, it’s actually from 2018 :open_mouth: Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

Without Doxing myself?

I can do that by taking people step by step though how matchmakers work with code examples…

Which I have done in the past… I’ll go get the posts.

I’ll find others, but that has code.

The fact I can bang out the code for a matchmaker off the top of my head should be more than enough proof that I have done them professionally in the past.

Sure as hell no one else is going to dedicate brain space to being able to do that. They are tricky things, and the ability to just throw up the code for one, means someone has done it a LOT, and worked away a lot of the complex edges of them.

It is. The opening appeal for transparency is the exact same thing one would see in Qanon and Vaccine microchip videos.

I could skim the guy’s script in a few minutes, but I don’t have the time or patience to listen to unnecessarily long winded droning for 30+ minutes. I think most people feel that way, if you want a proper discussion of the subject here, it’s on you to summarize.

Also, ijs, but genuinely good teachers can make even the most boring of subjects interesting and simple to understand.

1 Like

NPCs worry tank balance when the active population is nearly zero and the won’t reset. Ranks don’t make sense at all, owing to years of no-reset, alts, and mmr-rigging. The matchmaker is just broken and bad and was never fit-for-purpose. Add to that the other issues like wait times and bribed roles for burner accounts and you don’t have a competitive ladder.

But let’s worry about brig damage because the “partners” spent the afternoon debating it in a discord channel.

2 Likes

Not matchmaker problems. They can’t be fixed in code. - and MMR rigging is something you have to prove is having an adverse effect because non MMR mathcmakers get all the same complaints put against them.

Yes, massive amounts of alt accounts, and smurfs cause havok. But the matchmaker isn’t responsible for fixing that.

That is a Blizzard policy and policing problem, not a matchmaker problem. The matchmaker can’t fix that and it is unreasonable to try to do so in it’s code.

Matchmaking is a problem which covers those, but the matchmaker isn’t.

opinion

philosophical opinion

rank meaning emerges as a result of matchmaker code.

try again.

it exists therefore the ranks become fake. it’s not self-concordant if you’ve taken your measure theory classes with Tau. Random matchmaking around SR neighbourhood is more robust to noise and always builds the measure as it goes. We showed this many times in other threads but it’s not my job to teach people the basics. Just accept the expert advice and move on.

1 Like

for what it’s worth, I’d like people to see another post I made, so they can argue that matchmaking is wonderful and doesn’t need to be changed. If your points are true, please provide constructive feedback as to how a player like myself who is sweating bullets for days and playing very well for my elo can effectively climb while not getting games like these listed in the post below where players are doing things such as I detail there: (a game code is even provided)

1 Like

Better players in higher ranks. That is what we get now.

So yeah, SR has meaning whem smurfs are not janking it.

I’ve played in different ranks, higher ranked games have MUCH more skilled people than lower ranked ones.

If you think that isn’t the case, then you would be able to grab and alt and go straight to GM, since you are implying they are disconnected.

1 Like

That’s only specifying an ordering or even a partial-ordering. As I said, the order of the rungs is more important than the gaps between them. The gaps is what have become meaningless with no-resets (entropy), alts (multisampling), and mmr-rigging (non-transitive percolation).

It’s trivially easy (algorithmically) to get the rungs approximately correct and you get that within 11 matches or so (depending on your parameters) during a reset. It’s the gaps between the rungs on the ladder that lose meaning with MMR.

Thanks for coming out btw.

1 Like

ok. lets talk about those games.

first game. Leaver

People sometimes leave games, how is the matchmaker meant to know if they are going to or not?

second game. legit loss due to the entire team being bad.

Yep.

third game. leaver

Again, what is your magical code which determines if someone will leave so the matchmaker can know that before the game has started.

AND, even if you could how do you make it so no one gets them? You could block them BEFORE they hit the matchmaker, but it isn’t the matchmakers job to handle this.

fourth game. win.

fifth game two healers named MilfsRus (screenshot ready also) threw the game.

Yep, smurfs and throws are bad news. They are ALSO not something the matchmaking code can fix. That is a Blizzard policy and policing issue.

You are obviously hating on the leavers and throwers, but…

The matchmaker is a SPECIFIC piece of code which can do nothing about those issues.

If you want to suggest something the Matchmaker (the piece of code which DOES the matchmaking can fix that, then lets hear it.

You are complaining about the WRONG THING. The matchmaker can’t do a damn thing about your issues.

You want smurf detection? You want playing fingerprinting so it can tell if the same person is playing on more than one account?

You want it to try to fingerprint what it looks like when someone is throwing? There is research in that area, and stuff can be implemented…

Good stuff, it can be done.

But NEITHER of those are the matchmaker. Ok? The Matchmaker isn’t your problem.

It CAN’T solve those issues. They are other problems, well outside what the matchmaker can do.

3 Likes

Regarding this topic title, here’s my opinion:

Valorant has just as bad of a matchmaking sometimes as Overwatch, especially in unrated mode. But even then, the gameplay experience is vastly less tilting and superior to that of Overwatch.

Why is that? Because every single player has a very high solo carry potential and if you are good enough, you can make up for your entire team playing badly. You can essentially 1 v 5 into victory.

Now, the caveat to that is that on some maps, utility becomes too strong and can be impossible to break through them. But those kind of high level utility play only happens in pro games so it isn’t an issue in unrated.

But in Overwatch, you can’t carry your 5 other bad teammates into victory no matter how good you are. Why? Because team work is much, much more impactful than single player’s impact in Overwatch. With good team work comes broken hero synergies and hard counters which shuts down a single player’s potential to carry the game.

1 Like

Because it wasn’t an issue post nerf, on top of the fact that most team comps after goats were either double barrier which the freeze didn’t even work with. Or some hog ball mix where the team was to spread out to actually freeze more then one target at a time.

Like Mei was their to basically be the counter to the Damaged focus death ball comps. but outside of that has consistently proven to be on par. Or below average to most other DPS.

The genji bit was a bit odd, but it was most likely do to the first two not getting the result they wanted from him.

then in turn adding buffing an aspect that doubled down with the other two buffs.

it even returned a little latter on once with a compensation that that his ult was nerfed in favor a stronger base kit.

I asked for a solution. I’m open to you being correct in my comment that you were replying to, there. I just want to be able to play and not have these issues. If we the players can come up with something, maybe we can make a post where enough people can get behind it, and then we can cause real change which will make most people, if not, almost everybody happy, and then you will by default be vindicated, as the matchmaker was shown as not being the issue and players will also have nothing else to complain about. We the players just want games that dont take days to get to a simple elo that we feel we deserve to be at, and in time, prove that we deserve to be there by climbing there.

My issue is that i am not there yet after three days due to disconnects, one power outage due to the recent weather that I’m sure you’ve heard about, and leavers/throwers mentioned above.

I and we just want solutions. Let’s use our intellect to come up with it and agree on it. Let’s not accept the belief that we cannot agree on something. Something HAS to be done, and there is always a way.

1 Like