Storm Arrow and FTH are really not good for the game

Fan the hammer is arguably more problematic because it actually has some pretty good stats associated with it for a secondary fire move. Its has a built in 1.2 second delay, but its damage is very respectable.

Storm Arrow is on a 10sec cooldown. I mean, its not an alternate fire mode, but a legit ability and is balanced around a long cooldown.

Sub-average global win-rate. Which appears to be what Blizzard PRIMARLY bases nerfs and buffs on. Secondarily on player perception. OWL power muddles things a bit.

Winrate math has always been garbage, as confirmed by RobotWizard, who is/was a game design engineer, and spoke with the Overbuff dev. Because he’s building a similar system.

1 Like

The total aggregate win-rate is fine as it samples the ENTIRE player population and every hero the same way. Individual win-rates at certain ranks may be iffy. It’s perfectly useful for our purpose here.

Win rates are weighted based on play time. It’s not just wins vs losses.

This causes counterpicks to have lower winrates as they are swapped to when a team is already losing. This has two effects.

1. If a team is already losing a swap is often not going to change what was already going to be a loss.

2. Even if they win, they were played for less time so their win is weighted less.

This leads to his low winrate. It’s why he’s always had a low winrate regardless of his balance state. Think of a hero like Sym historically having a high winrate despite being fairly bad, but reversed.

If anything Mccrees winrate spiking by 4% since his buffs on top of his extremely high pickrate to be pretty average in high ranks is actually a huge red flag.

You seem to be unware of the heavy data skewing on winrate math.

2 Likes

Fan the hammer has always been an odd tool.

Considering that even a slight nerf can make it so that two head shoots from his primary would out perform in damage.

Especially when dealing with armor. As it subtracts five damage from every shot.

Not saying that it doesn’t need a change how ever one could east make it pointless again.

And? You don’t need blink as an ability to have great mobility. Those 4 seconds or larger cooldowns can take you across the battlefield

Large bodied high HP heroes in close range

Doomfist, Mei, Reaper

Or for players who don’t have very good aim. You would be surprised at how many players miss even a single followup primary shot after flashbanging someone

But yes, it’s primarily for tanks/barriers

Not instantly as a tank

2 Likes

Maybe McCree should be at a disadvantage at close range. Especially if he wiffs his 325 damage combo.

2 Likes

I’m very aware. We are talking about a sample of the entire open player-base, for every game, in every rank, over a long period of time.

Data bias in this instance will be normalized to a large degree. Robot’s thesis is largely applicable to an individual’s win-rate stats or highly concentrated samples, the global effects are minimal and we can still make comparisons because everyone is analyzed identically.

He is at a large disadvantage if he doesn’t have flashbang.

He is only ever at an advantage if he’s able to land it

Have you ever played McCree & tried to kill a Reaper in close range without flashbang? Or Genji, or Tracer, or Doomfist? Good luck…

So a hero known for getting picks, at range, while on attack, might have on average shorter duration while on attack. Meaning there’s less time played on the hero.

Would it surprise you to know, almost all heroes that fit the “ranged pickoff” heroes have low pickrates?

So for the sake of discussion, then how about a 2 second cooldown on Fan The Hammer.

Which should be enough for a Tank to mostly get out of Range.
But not substantially different from Fan the Hammer, Reload, Fan the Hammer.

If they add a cool-down to FTH they’ll likely add a compensation buff. Consider that.

I don’t think FtH needs a cooldown…

If McCree is allowed to spam FtH that much then the enemy team is doing something wrong

On a 2 second cooldown it will be useless. It will be eaten by defense matrix every time

Because otherwise McCree might lose some pickrate?

I mean, he is. Any of those heroes will absolutely murder McCree at close range if he whiffs the combo.

1 Like

If that’s the case, then what’s the point of protecting the capability to Flash+Fan+Roll+Fan?

To threaten tanks? I’m not sure why you think it’s unreasonable for a short-to-medium range character burning all of his cooldowns in order to kill a single tank to actually be able to do so.

As pretty much any tank other than Ball, I can easily survive that as long as I have one or two important cooldowns (or a barrier in Rein’s case).

1 Like