Sombra Versus Tracer 👯‍♀️

Sombra Versus Tracer

I been seeing a lot of these two being compared, as many may have very indifferent opinions when comparing the two. The most common argument is see when individuals compare Sombra and Tracer is that they both have two complete different job to preform. Although I have to strongly disagree, I could see where those type of individuals are coming from.

Many may not classified Sombra as a Flanker, but more so as a Scout or a disruptor. I want to ask the million dollar question here.
Why do pros play Tracer if Sombra offers more?

It is simply, it because Tracer can easily do Sombra’s job and then some. You will think because Tracer has 150hp that this will be the biggest downfall to playing Tracer especially in the higher tier, but in fact it is the complete opposite. Let’s sit down and compare the two.

➢ Tracer’s Pros “Cheers, love! The cavalry’s here!”

• Has a base movement speed of 6.0MPS
  • Recall has an invulnerability Frame during the cast time.
  • Recall heals her and returned to the highest value in the past 3 seconds.
  • Recall 1.25 seconds rewinding Rewinds 3 seconds back in time.
  • Tracer's has 3 charge to her blinks, with a 3 second cooldown for each.
  • Each blink can travel up to 7.5 meters
  • Tracer has two source to deal damage, one big with her pulse bomb and the other being her pulse rifle.
  • Pulse bomb deal 300 explosion damage plus 5 impact damage in a 3 meter radius.
  • Tracer has 150 hp for her normal health pool, but if timed right she can has effectively 150-299 hp to work with every 12 seconds. (but this is not really a strong case of argument)
  • Tracer can preform animation cancel with reload and even pulse bomb with her blinks.
  • Recall does not return Tracer's ammo to what it was a few seconds earlier, but instead fully reloads her weapons.
  • Feel free to add anything that I missed, and I will add it to the list.

Sombra’s Pros “Everything can be hacked… and everyone.”

• Hack can disable player's abilities and some ultimate (channeled) and certain passives (active passives) for 6 seconds
  • Hack can prevent the enemies of health pack for 60 seconds
  • Hack speed up the health pack respawn much faster (small health packs in 2.5 seconds, large health packs in 3.75 seconds).
  • Translocating grants an invulnerable frame.
  • infinite duration on Stealth.
  • infinite duration on Translocator.
  • Hack is a lock on ability.
  • stealth grants additional +50% movement speed making her move from 5.5 m/s to 8.25 m/s
  • EMP destoryes barriers and shields for 6 seconds.
  • EMP eliminates shield base HP (symmetra, Zarya and Zenyatta, Lucio, Wrecking Ball, Doomfist)
  • Hack and EMP Deactivates Orisa's Supercharger, Symmetra's Sentry Turrets, Torbjörn's Turret and Wrecking Ball's Minefield mines for 10 seconds.
  • You can reload cancel with Hack, Stealth and Translocator.
  • Traslocator can now be destroyed by Sombra and put on a 2 second cooldown.
  • Sombra has wall hacks when an enemy is critically injured.
  • Sombra's passive reveals enemy health bars that are below 100% to Sombra only, without requiring Sombra to have dealt any damage to them.
  • Feel free to add anything that I missed, and I will add it to the list.

with all that being said, why do the professional and even higher tier players prefer Tracer over Sombra? Again it is simply, it's because Sombra is a more complex Tracer.

When Playing Sombra, you need twice as much skills than you would with Tracer to be nearly as effective. Not to mention that Tracers kit and abilities flows more fluently than Sombra by a mile.

Despite Tracer only having 150 hp, her kit makes up for it. Not to mention that a Tracer can easily do Sombra’s job as well. Yes, that even includes disrupting, scouting and even spawn-killing.

If you have both equal skilled Tracer and Sombra go head to head in a match, the Tracer will win 9/10 times, of course the Sombra player will give the Tracer a run for her money, but that is because all of the delay and interruption that the Sombra player have to deal with, not to mention that Tracer has the burst damage, while Sombra has NO BURST DAMAGE to even compete.

Not to mention that Tracer’s reload time is 1 second, while Sombra’s reload time is 1.5 second. Also Tracer has 2 source of dealing damage, while Sombra only has one.

This is not a nerf nor a hate thread either. When I think of these two comparison I think about Ana and Mercy.

Tracer being the Mercy and Sombra being the Ana.

What I mean by this, you will think in the pros plays and higher tier, players would want someone who has utility and damage, same goes for the support class… you will think the team want someone who has utility and healing.

I know people will probably say " Well Mercy has great utility as well", which is true, but not as much utility as Ana… even though resurrection is one of the best utility that a healer can have.

Same applies to Sombra, being able to disable someones ability is one of the greatest utility a damage dealer flanker can have. But what I am noticing more and more each time I play Overwatch, is that the ability Hack lost its threatening potential, as many people do not fear about getting hacked, but more so annoyed. I am victim to this as I don’t fear being hacked as I know more than most that hack just lost it fear potential. but that is beside the point.

I just want to see what the community thinks about this…

Oh yeah I didn’t forget.

TL;DR

Sombra is an more complex form of Tracer to the point that is it harder to be effective as Sombra than it is with Tracer. With Sombra you have to not only out skill the opponent, but when it comes to Tracer, you nearly have to enhance your overall skill by half to be just as effective as Tracer.

No this is not a rant. LOL :wink:

63 Likes

Killing enemies disrupts the enemy team better than hacking them. Tracer does that job better.

63 Likes

Exactly, to me the best form disruption is to kill the enemy, and not only that but to secure that kill. You are 100% correct, Tracer does that job better.

22 Likes

Pfft skill? It didn’t take that Sombra to have amazing tracking on my tiny Tracer hitbox while I was completely unaware of her. She needs nerfed now!

5 Likes

What…?

I really don’t understand.

2 Likes

:wink: This… I forgot to mention the two different hitbox Frame, but people should know by now.

What don’t you understand?

I think the only thing hack is good for with her lackluster role is slowing down a rotation, that’s it. She can barely secure kills, but by the time she says BEEN HERE ALL ALONG through a megaphone the enemy focuses her and she can’t secure the kill, where as Tracer has crazy mobility and a tiny hitbox to avoid damage.

6 Likes

Their comment.

I don’t understand what they are saying.

EDIT: Nevermind I reread it.

2 Likes

It’s a joke. Tracers HATE being hacked.
    EDIT:Ok

1 Like

Yeah it took me a while to catch on to what you meant.

1 Like

This is why we are friends, lol … the element of surprise once again is one of Tracers strength as with Sombra always announce where she at … :sweat_smile: I’M RIGHT HERE… I told one of my buddies that she has to be the most un-stealthy stealth character I ever encountered.

8 Likes

Tracer allows for more amazing plays and is generally harder to counter. She can instantly delete your backline with an easily farmable ult, Sombra can’t.

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s a little inside joke every Sombra Mains have …

1 Like

Ic. Tbh Sombra was a counter to her except that counters high mobility, Tracer? Dah ding. But killing a Tracer is a honorary feat, since you have to do a lot of tracking. I think if they added her with little bit of mobility she’d fulfill this role much better, like Hanzo’s lunge, heck, maybe even a 3 second sprint.

1 Like

That is to the thanks of how fluent her kit is, and not to mention that her damage just adds the icing on the cake.

Every time I try Sombra she feels clunky to play. All these delays after abilities and lack of burst damage. Much bigger hitbox and more predictable.

9 Likes

Tracers mid fight presence is much higher due to her mobility imo where Sombra is an initiate and get out type hero imo. The play styles are quite different.

7 Likes

Adds? It is the cake lol.

1 Like

Yes, welcome to world of Sombra… The saddest thing about it all is that she has so much potential, but is being suppress due to the fear of being “oppressive” whatever that means now as there are many heroes that are more oppress than Sombra.

11 Likes