Short markdown tut

So for those new to Markdown I just wanted to give a quick list of things you can do.

Others feel free to add to this list.

Introduction

So I’m told here by the post text section that Markdown is supported. I can’t see the preview button if there is one on my phone, but basically Markdown is a quick way to make a document with some in-lined markup semantics that change the way that it is displayed.

For an example, say you wanted to break up some of your posts in sections. Before, we wpuld have had to do a little trickery with bolding, italicize, underlining, but now we can simply make quick headers by using the pound sign/hashtag/number symbol ( #). You need to put a space between the hash and the header, otherwise if will show up like this:

#My fancy Title

The more number symbols you put:

The

Smaller

The

Header

Font
Is

You can also quickly make lists. You can do this with the dash mark (negative sign, hyphen), -

• item one
  • item two

Numbered lists:

1. First
  2. Second

Tables
Example code:

| A-tier | B-tier | C-tier |
:-----------|:--------:|---------:|
| Genji | Soldier | Reinhardt |
| Tracer | D.Va | Lucio |
| Zenyatta | Junkrat | Roadhog |
A-tier B-tier C-tier
Genji Soldier Reinhardt
Tracer D.Va Lucio
Zenyatta Junkrat Roadhog

And so on.

Also, placing the a colon on either side of the column will format all rows coming after it as aligned to that side:

|:-| = Left Aligned
|-:| = Right Aligned 
|:-:| = Centered

You can place as many hyphens in between the colons/ vertical bars (depending on whether or not you are using the align feature), in my examples I try to make all of the text line up, but in practice I usually wouldn’t bother.

For instance:

Poster Qualities @Doc @RichC @AdderalGirl
Funny X X
Quick Learner X
Positivity X X
Trollposts X

Source:

|Poster Qualities|@Doc|@RichC|@AdderalGirl|
|:-|:-:|:-:|:-:|
|Funny|X|X| |
|Quick Learner|X| | |
|Positivity|X|X| |
|Trollposts| | |X|

Works just as well as:

Poster Qualities @Doc @RichC @AdderalGirl
Funny X X
Quick Learner X
Positivity X X
Trollposts X
|Poster Qualities|@Doc|@RichC|@AdderalGirl|
|:---------------|:--:|:----:|:----------:|
|Funny           | X  |  X   |            |
|Quick Learner   | X  |      |            |
|Positivity      | X  |  X   |            |
|Trollposts      |    |      |     X      |

Expandable lists:

My example Expandable list

Some example hidden content

Source:

[details="My example Expandable list"]
Some example hidden content
[/details]

These are some of the more basic features of Markdown. I’m only scratching the surface because that’s probably all 99% of the forumgoers will use.

I’m only slightly irked that I can’t seem to find a complete list of added features for the new forums that’s in my face, showing me the new cool things I can do.

I’ll continue looking, you guys keep posting and discussing, and I hope to see lots more of the awesome stuff you guys can make!

11 Likes

I’m not sure if this counts, but you can make emojis by clicking on the :slightly_smiling_face: while replying to a thread. Or, you can type something like :slightly_smiling_face: to type an emoji.

1 Like
Tables
Are
Neat
| Tables |
----------------
| Are |
| Neat |

Also: the preview on moble: you have to select the three dots in the upper right hand corner of the create post window, then on the far right there is a computer monitor icon to preview it

Aaron:

Of cpurse that counts, thanks for sharing.

Also, the intellisense kicks in when you start typing those known smileyface symbols.

Very nice. :blush:

1 Like