✅ [Role Select] Finalizing this concept

Fine, but only if they

Want.

I appreciate the effort, but I despise role que. It solves nothing.

People will still get teamed with toxic players.
People will still run meta comps, completely negating the role que in the first place.
The playerbase will get too divided.

The 2 flex is what I have issues with the most. It solves nothing. DPS won’t be ran, because the 2 will just flex onto GOAT heros. So then there’s the unlocked version, which will still be horrible to play on.

I dislike it. It fragments the playebase more, and there are no benefits to it.

Nope, a hero ban system is far better than role que. And even then, it’s only because the balance in this game is atrocious.

OP you are doing too much work for Blizzard.

Maybe they can give you a 13 million bonus for your artwork as they said it’s really hard to do Role Queue because blah blah logistics blah stubbornness blah blah they wanna focus on OWL blah check out OWL season pass 2 mmkay.

This is the perfect solution, except that the different types of queues might impact queue times very dramatically. That said, for competitive games, I’d rather wait drastically longer and get a quality match, than play 2-3 bad ones in that time.

Lol, ya think :smile:
Let's be real for a sec - #42 by GreyFalcon-11737

Ironically I am looking for work as of last week, but I’m moving to a condo up near San Francisco.

But if I was closer to Los Angeles, I’d probably apply for work at Blizzard.

Although, it’s kinda hard to get paid to do the equivalent of being a junior director, if you technically don’t have the job history or degree for it.

But I wouldn’t turn down an offer for some remote work. Or working out of their sledgehammer office.

Looks amazing. Makes me a bit sad really.

I don’t play it, but if Apex:Legends proves ANYTHING it is that forced roll selection can and will work. For team player type of people it is a no brainer, it is THE way to find a team that is willing to work WITH the game design to get wins.

For most others who don’t want to roll select and get into games that you have a higher probability of winning because the game is designed that way, let them play in 5 and 6 dps games with no tank and/or no healer and get slaughtered like they do now.

Those people will still say stupid things like “qp is srs bsness” and “it’s only qp relax” and “i play the game for fun” ( as if playing stupid and counter to the games design and then getting slaughtered somehow makes any old stupid play ok) can still sit in their games getting farmed and leaving early to go to their next slaughter fest until they might luckily be able to get carried by other players that will work to play COUNTER and 2/2/2 model that the game is designed around.

Good post OP btw. It won’t stop the exodus, but it has been mentioned MYRIAD times since the games launch to put in forced roll selection and i believe it is a contributing factor to the high loss of players.

The mock ups are nice, but they are mockups for an idea that is terrible so…

Why do you think the idea is terrible?

The amount of options is nice, but it will almost certainly condense into one or two favored configurations and that will become all that is played. Also, the only configuration that would lead to balanced pick rates would be allowing 3-4 DPS teams and making them the most common.

Creating 2-2-2flex just reinforces the idea that most DPS are bad picks, and even if you forced the 2 flex to be DPS, then you’re going to have teams where the tank role and support role have far more impact, because they are simply stronger roles in the current game. Essentially not solving the problem that people are tired of the tank and support chars while there’s a rich set of DPS characters that are rarely played in competitive settings. People want to play those chars, even if every player in overwatch was randomly distributed to what character they like and enjoy playing the most. A balanced pick rate means a healthy game, and balanced win rates mean a more balanced game. All this does is keep Rein Zarya in the meta and keep DPS pretty much crud.

So I don’t see it as solving any problems but instead locking the ones we have in place, which is terrible.

Additionally it lowers creativity and a game should be balanced to the desired play style organically, hamfisting it by restricting choices is pretty well, hamfisted and creates it’s own problems while limiting options and choices which is also bad.

You might wanna listen to Seagull’s podcast and realize, that the roles in Overwatch are not 3, but at least 6:

Main Tank, offtank
Main DPS, Flex DPS
Main Support, Flex Support

It sounds like your complaints about a this idea is that it’s simultaneously, not restrictive enough, that it forces gameplay balance.

And that almost any restriction would be too much. Even though there are plenty of options to use unlocked queue, or vote to unlock, if you have enough trust between your teammates on unusual strategies.

Pick rate matters for game health reasons. Win rates matter for balance reasons. This system would lock in pick rate for favoring tanks and healers rather than fixing it. It would also do nothing to address win rates.

Unusual strategies being the key idea here, they’d rarely if ever be practiced. League said that at the start too, that you could make any team comp you want. Probably 99.99% of them all had support ranged bot lane, with a jungler, mid and top. So it’s enforcing 2-2-2 in all but name.

1. I think the devs should fix balance issues, with balance.
  2. Like I said, if you have enough trust of your team for unusual strategies, then it should be easy to get 4 votes to unlock roles. If you can’t get a majority of the team onboard with an unusual strategy, then it was probably going to fail anyways.

2-2-2 should be the unusual strategy as it enforces bad pick rate balance.

They should yes, and so then there’s no purpose to enforced role queue other than to force bad pickrates.

Other than the top picture looking like it was made in ms paint, the substance of thing is pretty solid
Good on you lad

It totally was made in mspaint.

You think making it so that healers and tanks are picked more often, is a bad thing?

I don’t think you get the importance of pick rates.

29 new players come to OW. Say each one likes one hero most. But all the people that liked DPS characters are now forced to instead play tank or support a lot rather than their favorite hero.

This creates a game where people are forced to play what they don’t wish to play.

This creates a decline in the game. It creates frustration. It leads to even more toxicity because people are mad they are on tank or support for the umpteenth time and never get to play what they actually want to play.

Role queue makes all this worse. Anyone wanting to play DPS would have insane Queue times as a result.

The idea that you are punished for liking a character has to end in OW or it will always be broken.

As long as teams aren’t statistically made up of the ratio of each role then it will always be a broken mess.

Your suggestion makes it so that it’s always going to be a broken mess.

The statistically average team is 3-4 DPS, 1-2 Tank and 1-2 Support. If the game can’t be played that way with balance changes then OW will always be a broken until some point in 2200 when they release enough hero’s to balance the roster.

These teams should also not be forced with a system, but encouraged by design and balance.

amazing! finally someone who took care