"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

New Ryzen 3600 build with an AIB rx 5700xt, only problems with Overwatch. Low fps, ‘‘Render Device Lost’’. No issues in other games. Maybe this issue is connected with the rtx 2000 series issue?

What Zaze suggested is exactly what worked for me. I had been experiencing the issue for a while so much that I even went from a GTX 1080 TI to an RTX 2080 thinking maybe my GPU was just not good enough. Even started water cooling my GPU and CPU. All expensive solutions that did not work (helped with other stuff like getting higher fps in some games). The issue still persisted with OW until I changed the 3D settings.

A NVIDIA representative mentioned on Reddit that the new 436.02 driver may help with Overwatch - crashes to desktop. Affected Users should give a try!
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/csvqh5/game_ready_driver_43602_faqdiscussion_integer/exmnx5c/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

I played for two hours with the new 436.02 driver and did not experience any crashes. Launched straight from the battle.net launcher. So maybe this works?

RTX 2080
240HZ
32 GIGS OF RAM
ULTRA SETTINGS

Why don’t you suggest (true) fullscreen mode and limiting the framerate (and gpu load)? Everything points to a CPU-GPU synchronization issue when the rendering pipeline is stalled and/or disrupted under heavy load.

Hey all,

Has anyone else had success with the 436.02 drivers? After installing the new driver you should be able to launch the game directly via the Play button in the Blizzard app. No renaming Overwatch.exe and no deleting the Nvidia Overwatch profile needed.

Let us know! Thanks.

did a 7hs straight without closing it before i stopped playing with breaks without issues so far with the new 436.02, i dare to say it’s “Stable”, not just quick play tried Arcades even customs, didn’t played ranked yet until i feel comfy with this, and tried lots of stuff to fix it previously but now i just simply entered through the launcher, try it, hope it works for all, specs:

i7-8700k
RTX 2080
32gb RAM
240hz
ULTRA
BORDERLESS WINDOWED (even alttabbed to some other softs like i used to do)

EDIT: noticed a few fps drops but rather that than crashes, keep hope alive

This is a good sign everyone

I have been having success so far, I’ve been playing comp straight from the launcher without any issues. I’ve played at least 3-4 hours of comp and 2 hours of quick play. Previously the game would crash when the spawn doors opened for a comp match. I would love to have that 250 SR back, but just happy to be playing the game…

Ryzen 5 2600
32 GIGS RAM
MSI GAMING X RTX 2080
240HZ 1080P AND 4K BOTH FINE

I updated to driver 436.02 and have played about 3-4 hours without a crash so far. Appears to be working for me. Hopefully no more Overwatch Copy.exe going forward.

I am still crashing. This is incredibly frustrating. I am on the newest driver available (436.02). I have tried all of the fixes following this thread. I am now being penalized for leaving too many games. I just want to play the game man. It seems like this has been a problem for a long while now, and it is tempting me to just throw back in my GTX 1070 just so I can play Overwatch, ridiculous.

EVGA RTX 2070 Ultra XC
Ryzen 2700X
AsRock x570 Pro4m (Yes, I have the newest bios and chipset drivers)
16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 2666-MHz

If the issue is still occurring for you on the 436.02 drivers then you are likely experiencing a different problem. I would recommend submitting a ticket so that we can work with you 1-on-1 to investigate further. Make sure to include your MSINFO and DXDIAG, as well as a list of relevant troubleshooting steps you’ve already done.

I am not getting any UI “render device lost” messages, and I do not see any such messages in my dxdiag or msinfo files, but I do have an RTX 2070 and I’m getting lockups while playing Overwatch. Screen freezes but I continue to hear audio for at least a while, before the audio typically glitches and dies, and my only recourse is to hard reset.

What are the chances I’m having the same problem that is described in this thread?

I had four sticks of RAM totaling 32G and I was having WIndows memory diagnostic errors, so I resolved that by removing two sticks. The remaining 16G passed Windows diagnostics and memtest86, but I replaced it, anyway. New memory passes memory tests.

Overwatch still locks up.

There is nothing in my dxdiag that looks interesting except for the stuff left over from my day and a half of memory diagnostics. All references to adobe have been resolved by uninstalling creative cloud. I’ve also uninstalled everything Razer, after seeing references to razer stuff causing OW crashes.

Overwatch is still locking up. Sometimes I play for hours without incident, sometimes I crash in the first game I play. I’ve run the scan and repair and I’ve updated Nvidia drivers and audio device drivers (Focusrite Scarlett, but OW also crashes while I’m using Corsair Void Pro headset). OW was stable for me until about a month ago.

I’m able to run prime95 and I’m able to run heaven, and I’m able to run them both simultaneously. Temperatures in overwatch are mostly in the 40’s on the CPU to upper 50’s, and lower 60’s on the GPU. I get higher temperatures than that on the CPU while running stress tests, but no crashes.

ETA here’s another hint: Until a couple weeks ago I was playing 1920x1200 60fps, but now have a new monitor 1440p at 144hz. I’d hate to limit frame rate, but I might try that…

ETA2

This is the same card I have.
i7-8700k
32G (2x16) G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200
Asrock z370 Pro 4

0 chance
Create a new thread for your problem or look if anyone else reported something similiar.

I did that already :grinning: This thread was my last, best hope before I gave up :worried:

FWIW I updated to the 436.02 drivers and played a couple hours of custom games without locking up. I’ve had false hope before, though.

Kind of confusing answer you give there ESPECIALLY when the Nvidia changelog mentions ;

Windows 10 Open Issues

• [Overwatch]: The games crashes with “Your rendering device has been lost” error. [2482278]

I understand there might be some development ongoing on the background. But you answer implies if you still have it then it’s another problem

Thank you all for your continued reports! To clarify, while Overwatch is called out in the release notes for Nvidia, we have seen success with the 436.02 drivers for those impacted by the RTX Rendering Device Lost error if the OverwatchTest.exe or the Nvidia Profile Inspector worked around the issue before.

Please try updating to the Nvidia 436.02 drivers and launch from the Blizzard Application. It’s recommended to run through a few Practice vs AI matches first. If it continues, please continue to use the workaround before with OverwatchTest rename, here.

Let us know if the new drivers help or if the OverwatchTest.exe still works for you. We’re continuing to investigating this; your reports are greatly appreciated and helpful!

If the rename did not fix the issue before, then it is a different issue from the reports on this thread. As Render Device Lost correlates with the Window’s Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) to help recover the graphics when it freezes, the causes for this error can vary (from other application conflicts, drivers, windows, or hardware issues) and will need to be investigated individually through a new thread or contacting our Technical Support team.

1 Like

At this point im actually scared to use everyting else then the Rename workaround. Even tho i have to login everytime.
I just managed to dont get -50SR every 5th Game and hit Endorsement Level 4 again for the felt 10th time (more like 5th time) without crashes.
So please dont expect me to be the “Test specimen” for a “supposed fix”.
At this point i will wait for people to confirm this really, really works.
Sorry …, i know its nVidia’s optimization crap, but im done currenlty.
GL & HF Everyone !

I’ve tried the rename, I’ve tried things listed in all the other threads. It’s still not working, still getting rendering device lost within minutes of every. single. game. The game is completely unplayable and I’m at a loss to how this can be an issue of almost a year with one of the higher end gpus and one of the biggest game companies in the world. This type of error should be an issue on a $700 card and a game that is not THAT graphics intensive. I can play the game on my onboard gpu, it’s ridiculous that some how it’s freaking out my rtx 2080.

well… im on a gtx 980ti… tryied the rename fix, the nvidiaprofileinspector, messing with reducing clocks, resinstalling the game, cleaning videodrivers (ddu), installing old drivers, new drivers ( 436.02 ), new hdd, installing extra coolers, formating windows… and i still get this damn error. im just tired… its just overwatch… any other game runs fine… overwath in lowerst settins cant run… i was so exited about 2-2-2… but i couldnt play this beta season becouse this error.