"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

Only 2 things i can say that worked:
Made a copy of Overwatch.exe as OverwatchTest.exe and launched this, no Launcher.
Get the nvidia Profile editor thingy, mentioned alot in this thread and delete everything Overwatch related.
Had no Render Device Lost Errors since i use the Renamed Executable.
Only hassle is to make a copy after every Update and having to Login into the Game everytime.
GL & HF !

Had that issue once. I use a GTX 1060. I tried that fix and so far I can say it worked (no crash in 3 days, but who knows…)
But I had another issue with that, my latency is now up to 120ms when I use this fix (but that doesnt seem to affect the game, which is weird) whereas it’s around 30ms when I use the BnLauncher…
Well, I don’t know if anyone experienced the same thing but I figured I’ll let you guys now !
Enjoy ! (As much as you can)

I have a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. Updated driver, removed and reinstalled driver, checked os…all the things. Tried this, as well as removing the profile and I’m still crashing. My rig worked fine before the last OS/driver/game updates.

With the GTX, I suggest you go into your Nvidia settings, click on help, click on debug, make sure check mark has appeared and then exit

That is a huge performance killer. Try this instead

I already tried the debug thing (but i didn’t notice any performance being killed) and it didn’t work on my 2070. The only thing that has worked is renaming the file and launching that file manually rather than through the launcher. No idea WHY this method works, but it does.

I hope that works for you though. I might give that a try though regardless.

Update:
My latency issue seems to be fixed by now. So hopefully everything’s working just fine.
Just have to rename the file and not use the BattleNet Launcher. Why this fix works is over me !

1 Like

Oh but that should be fixed in the latest drivers, the name thing. Shouldn’t it?

My recommendation is not debug mode, it’s actually fixing the problem. Try going all-in, just to see if it makes a difference: make sure you run in real fullscreen, disconnect any extra monitors, and set your graphics to low/medium while limiting the framerate to 200. Then disable the Geforce overlay in the Gf Experience settings, together with any other overlays you may have.

If you’re on the latest drivers it should be working fine after that, and you can start enabling thing again and see what you can get away with. The post I linked explains it.

I have this issue with my 1060 using dual monitor setup.

Just wanted to add to this: Just got a brand spanking new computer with a GeForce RTX 2070 and have had this “Render Device Lost” crash happen 3 games now. It seems totally sporadic. Has no one really yet found a permanent solution to this?

I have an older computer, about three years old now, and I have had this problem again and again within minutes of each other. One time I opened the game just for it to crash at the login screen. I am using an intel driver (sorry I’m not cool enough for geforce). Just wanted to add that it is happening on older hardware as well.

Yup, using Nvidia Inspector and deleting Overwatch profile every time seems to work for me. On Windows 7 i’ve had very rare crashes from time to time with driver stopped responding, but after upgrading the rig and installing Windows 10 i had a lot of crashes with this error on RTX 2070.

If it helps in some way i’m on Ultra settings, borderless fullscreen and 120 fps cap.

Try running fullscreen instead of borderless window.

I use borderless fullscreen and its working fine for me. But I have all my settings on low and no fps cap (or 300, not sure).

Had the same issue wit RTX 2080 ti, but the key to my issue was the frame rate i’m using a 165mhz monitor and it just work fine below 120mhz. I used every solution in this forum and from google searches nothing worked for me so i had to RMA the unit and got a replacement. it appears that there is some malfunction on some of the RTX’s as i saw in one of the videos it just happen randomly after a month of use.

The latest driver notes from Nvidia: us.download.nvidia. com/Windows/436.02/436.02-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

Open issues Page 18: [Overwatch]: The games crashes with “Your rendering device has been lost” error.
[2482278]

**Also MODS can we have a new thread started listing that it’s a known issue, that nvidia is looking into it. Also pointing to the work around fixes like deleting the Overwatch profile in Nvidia Inspector? This thread is nearly 1000 posts long and a lot of useful information is lost in the ocean of posts.

I really dont get it why it takes so long to fix this ****

So is this just Nvidia acknowledging the issue?

Having it listed in the driver release notes means it’s been acknowledged and is being worked on, yes.

**unlucky post #1000 in an issue thread where I’ve been having this issue since I got my RTX card last October :frowning:

Thank you all for your continued reports! We are still actively investigating this issue and communicating with all involved parties.

The release notes for the 436.02 drivers do state the Overwatch Rendering Device Lost issue is still open. By chance, has anyone tried the Drivers 436.02 and had any success?

@Excel - While the thread is definitely long, it’s preferred to keep this under one thread to centralize the discussion and reports. Clicking on the Blizz icon can help track down the thread.

I did want to call out the Nvidia Inspector and deleting the Overwatch profile. It’s not something that we can recommend or assist with, but many have mentioned this to help if the OverwatchTest.exe workaround helps. If you feel comfortable with doing so, feel free to try this workaround with your own discretion. We have seen this help and allow launching from the Blizzard Application again. It does need to be done with each patch/update until its resolved.