"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

I just installed a brand new RTX 2080 Super and the latest 436 drivers. Just got the crash. imgur com OK2jRvy

This week is actually the best time to try it out since role q is still beta. Might as well try it out before the new comp season is live next week.

A post was split to a new topic: Red Panda - Rendering Device Lost

Hey there friends,

Just jumping in here to let you know we are still watching this issue. The new driver has causes a significant drop in the number of these errors we are seeing. With that said, we can try a few things for our Nvidia users.

Note: If you are not on an Nvidia GPU and have the render device lost error, please open a new thread.

One thing we would like to try, if you have updated and still have the problem, is a clean install of the new drivers.

Clean driver install (Click to expand)

You can do this by doing a custom install …

…and a clean install after downloading the new driver. :slight_smile:

Next, if this does not help, we would want to verify the hardware is not overclocked. Could we run HWmonitor while you play, then after a crash get us pictures of the data in the utility?

Let us know how things go my friends! We only want you to be able to play.

/Nathardrick

Trying the new driver with the clean install, I’ll update on how it goes, and provide HWMonitor stats if it happens again.

As a side note, is your team able to detect this error at all server-side, and restore lost SR due to the crash? My wife and I have lost hundreds of SR due to this issue over the past months, and it’s made playing competitively difficult for us. I understand that any system for lost SR would likely not affect us currently, but if something like this can be implemented in such a way that hardware/software crashes don’t affect (or at least, affect to a lesser degree) SR, this issue would be much less frustrating overall for users with newer hardware, or hardware with known issues.
(Another possible solution would be to allow some time for a disconnected person to rejoin a match in the beginning, as the issue occurs most often for me within the first minute of a match)

1 Like

Nice idea. I hope it’s possible. I have stopped playing Overwatch because of this. I find Quick Play boring because I’m a very competitive player, but I have lost too much SR due to this crash, not to mention my teammates who also have lost because of my crashes. I hope to return if it’s ever fixed, but it has to be sooner rather than later, otherwise we’re going to grow apart or something like that.

My game had been stable for about 2 months, updated to 436.02 but kept deleting profile. After installing latest patch on live I crashed twice in comp and lost 100SR and 30 min suspension.

Increased my underclock to -215mhz and things seem to be ok again.

I do think the underclock is doing the most, seems like Overwatch doesn’t like factory OC on most of the cards, I increased my underclock until the boost clock was matching reference of 1710mhz.

1 Like

The profile deletion didn’t help me.
I think it’s unacceptable that “Overwatch doesn’t like factory OC…”. I don’t care what it doesn’t like. It should just run like any other game. This issue can be traced back to 2017 even. About time Blizzard stepped up their game. Might be an Nvidia issue, too, but every game works except this.

FYI

I’m still crash free with the new 436.02 on my RTX 2080.

New? There’s a newer version, 436.15. I tried yours too, and I still crash. Which GPU do you have? I have a Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI Xtreme Edition.

Yup, its crashing again. I guess I can’t watch youtube while playing overwatch…

RTX 2080

Still Crashing on RTX 2060. The TestOverwatch.exe workaround seems to stop the “render device” issue, but causes a different crash (one that’s easier to rejoin from).

NVIDIA is kind of a disaster right now…

Still listed as open issue for 436.15

I am running 430.86 now and I haven’t crashed for 2 days straight.
EDIT: Also have capped FPS to 144 and turned VSYNC on. Otherwise, everything else is as usual. I think it’s the driver that helped, though.

Still experiencing crashing with the RTX 2080 on 436.15.

Ryzen 2600
RTX 2080
32 GIGS OF RAM.

Why don’t you try what I wrote above?

Because I have already done so many things to fix this: Including, but not limited too, DDU/reinstalling windows, running stability tests on the ram, not watching youtube videos whilst playing, NVIDIA inspecter, and etc.

At this point I have already invested so much time on this, and I have again simply just uninstalled the game. (DOOM, APEX, GTA5, ETC All work fine) I work too much to be constantly messing with this, what I assume is an NVIDIA problem. I will wait until NVIDIA releases a patch with notes attached saying the issue is resolved before I try again, as I really only play COMP and losing the SR from a crash is simply too annoying.

As for capping the FPS that is an unacceptable solution. I wish to play using the full capacity of my $700 RTX card and my $600 240hz monitor. So again, I will just wait until NVIDIA releases a patch saying the issue is resolved.

Thanks

I only said to cap at 144 because my own screen is 144hz. I would’ve capped it to 240 if I were. I’m sure it will still work with said driver and a 240 cap. But I understand. If you miss it and NVIDIA can’t get their thumbs out, try it.

So guys I have an RTX 2070 Duke 8gb I found what oddly worked to solve my issue with driver 436.15 was overclocking my gpu
imgur com/a/UmPP8rI

Haven’t had any issues as long as I have MSI afterburner run at startup AND MANUALLY apply my settings every boot

Edit: Save your settings as a profile so reapplying every time will be quick and painless