Overwatch 1 Service please

For reference as to why this request:

We get these nearly every other day and it’s not going to stop. It’s not about a temporary season issue or a bad start, but a fundamental design flaw in OW2(mainly the 5v5 problem).

I myself wrote an excruciatingly long study of the problem:

Which most people won’t read because it’s the length of an arm, but it covers nearly all the issues in OW2, so I’ve been using it as a reference. I actually encourage people to refer to part or all of it in case someone can’t put the finger on why OW2 feels lesser.

The conclusion of that study is that OW2 will not be salvaged as an “Overwatch” game. It can only break down one way or another, and won’t have what made Overwatch unique and special.

Since overturning the core design of OW2 will not happen, I’d like to have OW1 back as a service, either as a special mode of OW2 or on its own as it was a few months ago.

Before anyone says “never gonna happen, not possible”, allow me to state my job: I’m a freelance programmer/consultant who has worked for many clients, many fields, and many technologies, from game making to devops to web and more. So I do understand what is possible and is not.
The only rule when it comes to business is that as long as you’re paid an acceptable amount of money and you can do it, you will.

Can they do it? The servers were live not 2 months ago on a global scale. Turning that back on is not impossible by any stretch. No company deletes their infrastructure, they just power it down and cease to maintain it. 2 months of low/no maintenance isn’t even an issue. Having OW2 and OW1 online at the same time is also not an issue since people won’t play OW1 and OW2 at the same time. You will get load on one or the other.

As for the money, if they could build this entire shop for OW2, they can have either the same for OW1 or implement OW1 back in OW2 as a “Legacy” mode. Or they can make a monthly subscription model for the OW1 live service and put it up just like it was and still rake in money monthly.

From a broader business view, there is a strong cause for it too. Activision is ultimately a service provider, they provide OW to get money. Do they make more money with OW2 than with OW1? I’d wager that temporarily yes, but it won’t last.

OW2 has been dropping players extremely fast. I refer again to my earlier analysis on the game as to why. Many historical players are increasingly disinterested, or outright disgusted, by OW2. The potential new pool of players will get frustrated with OW2’s design just as fast as they would’ve with OW1, and will drop out within the next months as well, if not weeks.

OW2 will lose both its old playerbase and gain next to no new players. I am betting all my money on it, this game will keep seeing a downward curve in terms of players, and its player pool will fall faster than OW1’s if it had kept going unmaintained.

Since Activision, as a for profit company, only cares about money and couldn’t care less about the players, I’d like to suggest this KPI to the OW management and commercial department: take the monthly player counts, income from said player counts, and make projections on the loss of players in the next 6 months.

projected_downturn_coefficient = (month1_active_players - month2_active_players) * 100 / max_monthly_active_players
month3_active_players = month2_active_players - (month2_active_players * projected_downturn_coefficient)
money_month3 = month3_active_players * median_income_by_player
month4_active_players = month3_active_players - (month3_active_players * projected_downturn_coefficient)
money_month4 = month4_active_players * median_income_by_player

(yes I mostly work with Python nowadays, sue me)

Compare that theoretical curve to the real curve in your data. In a healthy game, this simplistic projection would not equal the actual playerbase, because the game will shed the users that don’t really like it and keep the users who do.
It would take between 3 to 6 months to go from a massive non-committed playerbase to a smaller, niche, highly committed playerbase that will keep to the game for years, like OW1. And this committed playerbase would dwindle very slowly.

I’m betting all my money that the player count will be equal or worse than this curve, because there is no committed playerbase to be found for OW2. This “experiment” of blending Overwatch with a generic FPS doesn’t work and won’t find its public. It will just keep being in freefall until the game is actually dead, not meme-dead with hundreds of thousands of players but actually dead and full of nothing but regrets.

When does this curve bring in less income than an OW1 with a subscription service, or an OW2 that actually implements a legacy mode for QP and Comp and lets the OW1 playerbase stick around? If it’s in 6-8 months, that’ll be too late. By then, the entire playerbase will have left and OW as a whole will be in ruin. People who leave a game and find another place to waste their time don’t come back.

Every day that I’m spending on these forums wanting OW1 back, I’m losing interest more and more. I want to play the game, not come get vindicated that tons of people agree with me that OW2 just ruins Overwatch. I want to forget my life troubles by playing, not do my job for free by publicly analysing this game from both the business and game design standpoints.

Of course I don’t expect this topic to really reach the OW management. I think it will be buried quick, but just like my last one, I write is an archive for the future. Either OW2 cancels its poor gameplay decisions (not happening), either it throws a bone to the OW1 playerbase and lets us have our game, even if it gets 0 updates and they want more money for it. I’m not extending my hand hoping for Activision to shake it for the next 6 months.

Make a business offer that’ll let us have our game back, or see us go for good.

13 Likes

You obviously put alot of time into your post. So I’m sorry. But Blizzard doesn’t look at the forums. And if they do, they don’t tak anything we say here into consideration.

OW1 will most likely never be coming back.

7 Likes

I’m aware, but either I write it now or just give up and go try Valorant or something.

They have a very short window, probably less than 3 months I think, to mitigate this deadly mistake. In 6 months we’ll all have given up. Might as well waste my sunday morning on this rather than silently mull over my thoughts for another week.

2 Likes

Bring back OW1 all modes.
I miss OW1 and i miss Mystery Heroes.

1 Like

Just like wow classic it will be overwatch classic but with bp

Mystery heros is in the game :man_facepalming:

I’d be playing OW1 if I could over this mess.

A good game got replaced by a sloppy reboot.

6 Likes

I miss MH without adjusted tanks and 5v5, genius
:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

2019+ OW1 was not a good game doe. OW2 is way better.

Mate you need to put this post on Reddit where it might actually get seen because so many points are totally valid reasoning. Blizz don’t look at the forums for feedback, haven’t done so in years. It’s just an endless void to shout into. Go put it on Reddit I’m telling you.

1 Like

I dont understand how they thought making the game entirely different while closing the first version wouldn’t receive any backlash. They are both fundementally different games with different playstyle and design.

Or most likely they just dont care and hope enough players stick with the change.

2 Likes

Sadly, likely they thought of neither. They were ordered by management to CoDify the game, they tried and failed to mesh OW with this FPS style, and management decided to shut down OW1 to force the entire OW community into their predatory FTP model.

In almost any large company with stock holders, you have the final word given by the bean counters. If the bean counters looked at the income brought by CoD-likes and FTP games, and it was more than they had, that’s all they needed to know.

Only thing you can realistically say is “this is going to crash and burn hard, and you’ll make more money with X”. The “X” in this case being actually letting us have OW1, even with a predatory business model. I personally wouldn’t care to pay 5 a month to get OW1 up, but I’m sure they’ll go and search for whatever rakes in the most.

The Reddit OW community is about as empty as here, as most OW1 fans have already left. You see less and less movement every day there.

Still, I’ve done it for what it’s worth.

Maybe you should have said so, kid

They’re not going to bring back OW1 no matter how much you write or bold your text for dramatic emphasis. It would split their resources and the player base, not to mention constitute an unseemly vote of no confidence in all their work on the sequel.

I admire the dedication to making this post, unfortunately blizzard is still counting their money and is not available at this time

1 Like

What part of “there won’t be a sequel because there won’t be a playerbase in 6 months” is unclear to you?

Also holy hell, what kind of a BS argument is “it would split their resources”? It splits nothing. TF2 has had 0 devs on it for decades, is still up. Starcraft 1 (a freaking Blizzard game) is in the same pot. The servers also don’t get split since nobody plays OW1 and OW2 at the same time.

“but the community will be split”: the community is abandoning Overwatch 2 because they want Overwatch. Have you not even read, or just didn’t understand a thing?

I concur heartily.

/signed

We need a formal petition perhaps with a mountain of signatures.

1 Like

Last I checked there were 15 or so devs still attached to maintaining TF2. And the servers would be split because bandwidth that would have been allocated entirely to OW2 will now share that space with OW1, you’re asking them to reserve space in their maintained server lineup for a game they no longer profit from when it can be devoted to others, they’re a business not a charity. And when new heroes/skins/maps are added to OW2, you can bet OW1 players would complain that they should easily be made compatible for OW1, meaning even more devs splitting their attention with balance changes and such.

You say “the community is abandoning Overwatch 2 because they want Overwatch”, sorry but unless you have actual real life polling data to back up that assertion you’re just talking out of your butt.

No, and you clearly actually can’t understand what I write.

But what counts as Overwatch Classic? The patch right before OW2? Beofre GOATS? Before Ana? In it’s pure initial release state?