Omg! Do the devs not play widowmaker?!

Maybe you need to understand what “strength” entails.

• if Widow could only lift 100 pounds, and she can’t lift anymore…
  • if Soldier/Tracer/Genji/McCree could always lift 150+ pounds…
    • and they suddenly suffer a sickness that makes them only able to lift 100 pounds

That doesn’t mean that Widow is strong. She is still as weak as she has ever been. She’s still plagued with the same issues as she’s had, since ever… Everyone else has just been made weaker.

Additionally;

• if Hanzo suddenly bulked up, where he previously could only lift 100 pounds but can now lift 150+ pounds in short bursts, and can lift 110 pounds by default without those short bursts…

That’s a reason to call him strong. He was stronger than yesterday’s Hanzo.

She’s strong because the meta makes her strong.
Just like Genji was strong because dive enabled him to do his stuff.
So yes, she is strong now. Overwatch isn’t all about single character stats. It’s about synergy and teamwork. And that’s exactly the kind of synergy where Widow shines.

godlike aim here. the only good thing about constantly popping heads and having the least amount of kills on your team (because lol you have a toy gun) is that all the constant dinks are soooo satisfying. that said… if you care at all about winning, playing widow is miserable rn even in the low ranks.

This is literally the only thread I’ve seen in a LONG time asking the devs to help widow.

2 Likes

I don’t get it. A good Widow brings so much value to a team and even in this armor heavy meta, her weapon will melt enemies faster than most of the other DPS heroes. Sure you aren’t doing 1hitkills but dammit, shoot them again and just finish them off.

Barriers stink, sure but that is why we need a second dps (and the rest of the team) to melt that for you. Actually, Hanzo and Junkrat are great at breaking barriers right now, run with either of them and you should have some clear shots.

In the end though, it sounds like you are just blaming one hero’s effect on your role as Widowmaker. If you think you aren’t getting value on her then it might be time to swap. Symmetra has to consider that every time Winston shows up. Junkrat thinks about it when Pharah shows up. Reinhardt has to think about it when Hanzo shows up. I think Brigitte should be afraid of you (get yourself a mercy, stop being so shy) but if the extra armor is making it tough on you then that is perfectly fine! Every hero needs to contribute to the team and that is/was Brig’s big selling point.

3 Likes

Citation needed.

And these are just my threads about it… nevermind anyone else’s… and they were just for bugfixes, before even talking about balance.

1 Like

She’s a high skill-ceiling high skill-cap character. She’s always going to be bad in lower tiers with lower skilled players where the majority of the playerbase sits. She’s a complete monster in the hands of a good player. She’s balanced around one-shotting people from distances where she can’t be touched which is a stupidly oppressive playstyle. She forces teams to change their entire playstyle to either work with her or against her. She’s “fine” in the sense that it takes skill to land shots as her, but a good widow is a total fun-killer to go against and a widow who can’t get those insta-gibs from across the map is deadweight to her team.

Leave her where she is, or rework her to make her kit not so binary. I’m gonna guess you’d prefer the first. Having a sniper instantly taking out targets from across the map by clicking on their heads goes completely against the team-fight based style of Overwatch’s gameplay. If they ever introduce bans to this game you can bet I’m never letting her be played.

Ok you might be lost.

No way does a widow right now match with a hanzo. Hanzo can do so much more and much easier

Wow… I didn’t even know about these… I just thought my aim was off sometimes, like maybe I blinked at the wrong time? Or like, clipping a hitbox on 90ms ping, figured it was just my internet. But they’re actual bugs costing me shots?? now im angerey about more than just the grapple and balance…

1 Like

Every single hero that Widow used to hardcounter in some way shape or form, has had powercreep to the point where Widow barely softcounters them. Even Pharah.

“just click his face 4head”

She’s been documentedly been getting worse and worse each patch, that the power that exists from possible OSKs.

The sudden rise in her pickrate doesn’t make her good. She’s still C-Tier. She’s just C-Tier in a situation that is finally tipped in her favor that the entire outlier population can perform well. By mere-exposure, everyone suddenly thinks she’s good again, but she’s still objectively worse than every other DPS out there.

1 Like

Yeah… All these guys in OWL, running C-tier heroes.
You don’t understand this game.

3 Likes

“she’s still objectively worse than every other DPS out there”

It’s this crap that shows just how baseless and subjective your argument is. Widowmaker is NOT worse than Bastion, and she hasn’t suddenly become a softcounter to Pharah (NOTHING in this matchup has changed, oh except Widow gets her hook faster).

2 Likes

You’re mistaken. I’m in favor of the second.

I’ve even said as much in other threads.

Overwatch League pros have a literal 12+ hour schedule to live, eat, breathe, sleep on Overwatch. They comprise the top ten-thousandth of 1% in the game.

They also play in a bubble subject to their peers where they have an uncharacteristic safe mindset that you won’t find anywhere else, and most certainly never on the ladder.

In that safe bubble, when there’s a character that can operate on 1-shot kills, you can damn well be sure that they’re going to run a C-Tier character.

They run Pharah and Bastion on certain occasion, and those are C-Tier heroes too.

If Stage 4 ran on the most recent patch, they’d be running Hanzo instead of Widow, guaranteed.

Statistically you’re wrong. Bastion has a 49.91% winrate average, compared to Widows 48.85%.

Actually you’re very wrong on this.

Pharah’s hoverjets and rocket launcher received changes.

• Hover Jets increases her downward movement on feather, making her more agile in the air, which means she’s not stationary floating in the air like Mercy.
  • Rocket Launcher’s knockback was changed so that it’s easier to get a second followup shot, and Rocket Launcher’s splash damage assignment was also changed in response relative to that knockback change.
1 Like

No it’s also that she is heavily based on the network connection too to be super effective

Vs hanzos arrows hitbox doenst

how?
WM always stay far behind the group… no way a hanzo/brig can stop you… unless u get shot by hanzo. Well, that’s always a risk there…

1 Like

I 100% agree on the hanzo over widow in owl pick rate.

Widow is fine. Hanzo is not.

The only problem here is Hanzo, not Widowmaker. I’d prefer she be left alone.

As a support player I probably die more times to widow than any other character. Even in gold and silver ranks Widows are almost god-like at times. I am not sure what else you want to give her.

Ugh Of course this is the reaction.
He didn’t even mention her damage. I think the problem is more with her kit. All heroes should feel good while a skilled player can max their potential. It’s like that with any game.
From the beginning Widow has been nerfed because she’s too dangerous and can tip too easily. Fine. So she can’t quick scope, her venom mine has been tweaked a few times, and the hook… meh.
I personally would like to see her completely tweaked again.
Leave her damage alone but in deathmatch (which I love) it’s WAY easier for a Hanzo now, to get long-short range shots in. Scoping slows you down as opposed to Mr infinite arrows and the new ability’s cool down? Not to mention his extra movement??? Theyre both in the same class and not only can he wall climb (comparable to the hook) but he now has the disengage ability. OK. Now let take into account that he never has to reload. and in CQC the SMG has pretty garbage damage. so Hanzo has an easier time in CQC than a Widow. Not saying it’s impossible. I actually find it easier to fight a Hanzo up close by being agressive because they’re so use to having the advantage. And on top of all of this! Hanzo’s ult is way more useful than Widow’s; It’s super situational AND Hanzo can do the same thing as a base ability. It just feels like the favor one over the other all the time. I know for a while it felt like Widow was the favorite but either was isn’t fair and more importantly not fun.
On a side note I’m VERY happy scatter is gone. I think the quick shot need to lose one or two arrows maybe. I’m fine with his damage potential but without a reload and a short cooldown he feels a little too offense rather than defense. No single hero except flankers should feel brave enough to go off on their own and try to 1v6.

2 Likes

hanzo is fine.
He doesn’t have a scope.
If Widow can’t kill hanzo, it’s player’s issue.
Both heros are fine.

2 Likes