(OFFICAL) MCCREE's NAME IS CHANGING!

They sure do never miss an opportunity to delay content for this game, I’ll give them that.

I’m hoping for some sort of Jeffe McGree change or something lol.

5 Likes

This is a pointless change, he will still be refer to as Mccree. Blizzard needs to fix the real issues instead of putting a bandaid on it.

28 Likes

Glad they are changing it.

6 Likes

Still going to call him McCree

24 Likes

I don’t mind, honestly.

Never rallied for it. I understand why it’s happening, though. I think they’re realizing that the gaming industry is actually full of toxicity and creating in-game content that immortalize these real people can be problematic for the future if they do act crappy. Happened with Sinatraa, now this.

7 Likes

Hey folks. To address some of the initial feedback we’re seeing here:

This is a change that was important to us as a team, both in terms of what we represent and believe, and how it could impact some members of the community. This decision was made to better reflect the values of not only the team, but of the bright and inclusive future that Overwatch represents.

I understand that feelings about this announcement will be complicated. I encourage us all to be willing to listen and consider others around us at this time.

61 Likes

Whatever they change it to isnt going to be catchy either.
Pointless change to appease the few whining.

Anything to get good publicity to cover up the garbage in the conpany instead of real, meaningful changes.

How about you actual do some REAL changes?

59 Likes

They could have just said that from now on they won’t be naming characters after irl people and that’s that. :expressionless:

5 years of Jesse Mccree won’t just go away because they don’t want a name to be associated with them in their hypocritical crusade for virtue.

28 Likes

Okay but what if we rename him

McMagy

Clearly the most fitting name. as i am everyones huckleberry

2 Likes

I think people are underestimating this change. They could have kept quiet about it and lowkey disavowed the existence of the IRL McCree, but they publicly announced his departure, and are rewriting an entire story arc, i.e. $$$. And they could def get away with it given that the playerbase largely doesn’t want the change. Still avoiding the main game to not show up in player counts in protest, but this is enough for me to play the PTR, which overwhelmingly supports the devs.

As for the change itself, my acceptance of the new name hinges on how well they do it.

13 Likes

I can appreciate that - and thanks for sharing this additional insight.

I understand the decision and the thought behind it. I’m okay with it. It’ll take a while to adjust, but I’m willing to adapt.

7 Likes

The name change demands is kinda over now and blizzard themself brought it up again.

3 Likes

Will it be lore related? I mean him changing his name so the bounty hunters will have a harder time or something?

3 Likes

You never fail to disapoint us, that’s crazy stuff.

He’s name was Jesse McCree, and that’s not gonna change for me. No matter how much censorship you put on him.

47 Likes

There is a lot of work to be done, on both ends.
Wish you good luck for your mammoth task

1 Like

Good for Overwatch.

I’m proud!

2 Likes

While an interesting idea, I doubt it, because it would leave his real name as jessie mcree still. They will probably completely change his name IE, it was and was always cowboy Steve.

1 Like

Harassment has stopped, MC Cree name is changed, everyone is safe now in the company. Horray

36 Likes

There is no bright inclusive future in Overwatch, all this PR progressive dribble you keep spewing out and doing the opposite of your suggested values is getting old.

The direction Overwatch has taken LITERALLY reflects this.

Nonsense.

13 Likes

Lmao. I hate this ‘‘getting triggered’’ culture. McCree forever to me.

35 Likes