No aim =/= No skill 2.0

This is essentially a coutinuation of the thread that ive made long ago, the thread essentially got old, as there was a lot i couldnt say in the thread because people just would not see it, essentically consider this thread as its upgraded version, i will try to make this as clear as possible of my argument towards the mindset im trying to debunk.

THE “no skill” ARGUMENT

i will explain the best i can what the mindset im trying to debunk is, ill try to not be biased because as you can tell, im heavily against this kind of set of ideas
“No aim = Low Skill” Is generally the main argument of this set of ideas. What the people that think like this try to say is that characters that have auto aim propieties like Symmetra, Torbjorn, Moira, Etcetera require low skill and are unfit of a FPS game like overwatch and should not be viable at high tiers since they are “Noob” characters that only low ranked players use

MY ARGUMENT

What i consider is that there are multiple different skills that the games requires, Some of this are:

• The different types of “Aim” Skills: Projectile Leading aim, Tracking aim and Flicking aim,
  • Positioning
  • Tactical assesment / Engaging
  • Prediction
  • General Game Sense

Also, different heroes require more or less skills to different degrees An example of this:

Widowmaker VS Torbjorn

Widowmaker: Aim intensive hero, requires high degrees of mastery of the “Flicking” Aim, also requires positioning in order to be effective

Torbjorn: Positioning intensive hero even higher than widow, Also requires high degree of “Projectile” Aim (Leading)

Your probably thinking “What? Widow requires positioning too, Standing in the wrong spot will just get you killed” While yes i agree, I consider that torbjorn is more “Reliant” On his Positioning skill due to the lack of mobility, A widowmaker, despite it beeing important to get good positioning, can re-locate from high ground to high ground to escape or to find a better spot, While a character without mobility as torb has a stationary object to take care of and no mobility to escape, Therefore, its more important to find a good spot for torbjorn, who is stuck there, than for widow, who can grapple away.

I consider different requirments in skill also vary depending on the heros kit, Like how i explained in the example above, A hero with great mobility Like tracer will naturaly be more forgiving in positioning, due to almost always beeing able to get out if things get wrong and in engaging, a tracer could engage wrongly and still have a decent chance to get out alive due to recall or her blinks, While i do not discount the importance of picking your fights well as tracer due to your low HP, i find it more forgiving than what a Symmetra picking an engagment who has little mobility to get out of things go wrong and will most likely die if she didnt pick her engagment well, Im also not discounting the fact that Tracer is more “Aim” reliant that Symmetra is, which is yet another diference of their skillset requirments

Few other things id like to say

Just a few prediction counter arguments

" So x is the hardest hero, x requires positioning aim, etc and all the skill you listed "

Yeah, But as i said, They need different skills to different degrees, You could say that someone as soldier requires projectile leading, tracking aim and positioninign in order to be effective so he is the hardest hero, But if you say that you would be ignorning that soldier has a infinite usage mobility, Healing abilities, and his projectile leading is usable on a very fast projectile every 8 seconds

(Ill edit here if i find counter arguments in the comments that repeat a lot)

OTHER STUFF

Skill Ceeling and Skill Floor for me:

Skill Floor: How easy it is for someone to get the game and play a character, While its true its a reality that less mechanically demanding heros will have a lower skill floor, Gamesense is as important and players that have just started will probably also strive with certain characters other forgivness on their kits, but i do understand that mechanical aim forgivniess is much more noticeable than other types

Skill ceeling: Its how much a character takes to master, Again, you could argue that characters without need to aim are easier to master than ones that dont, but i dont necesarily agree, as characters that are not aim requirment need higher amounts of other skills to cover up that fatal flaw, Not scaling on aim requirment means that no matter what the player does, the damage of auto aim abilities will always be the same, due to inability to headshot, etc

55 Likes

i take it as you didnt read the post

7 Likes

Digging a ditch takes a certain set of skills.
Splitting an atom also takes a certain set of skills.
Just because they both require skills, does not make them equal.

30 Likes

your comparision is unfair,

your talking about two completly different things in two completly different contexts as im refering to different things in one same context

11 Likes

for me always : no aim = no skill. you can’t change my mind.

18 Likes

Splitting an atom requires a certain set of skills

Cleaning toilets in the facility that splits atoms requires a certain set of skills

17 Likes

Digging a ditch takes zero skills lol

2 Likes

No aim = no skill the exceptions being Reinhardt and Winston

6 Likes

If you wish to stay with that mindset, then do it

You might want to find another game in my opinion as this game does priorize this types of skill differences in game

Again, Still different context…why are you comparing splitting atoms to a videogame?

Why are this two characters an exception?
they dont need to “aim” either

winston is not much different than symmetra in that regard, that sounds like bias on your part

14 Likes

Nah man, you gotta know how to work that shovel.

1 Like

Nah if you can land your shots as widow or mccree you are good. you can even play in owl.

i can assure you, landing your shots wont help you if your clueless with the rest of the game

6 Likes

and i can assure your playing heroes like widow and mccree requires at least x10000 more skill than a hero like sym , moira and brigitte.

17 Likes

Ditch digger = unskilled labor

I’m sorry for the amount of trolls that won’t take your post seriously.

Your post must have took a lot of time to make and I can guarantee that a lot of the people who have commented only read the title.

13 Likes

A haiku;

Hitscan is easy
Anybody can do it
Do not deny it

9 Likes

It’s called an analogy, and I find it’s rather fitting if not a little exaggerated.

The people splitting the atom most likely have the skills to clean toilets. Maybe not as well as the people who clean toilets every day, but they can definitely do it because it’s extremely basic.

5 Likes

That seems subjective, i dont agree with that statement,

one big example you overlooked:

projectile leading is something that widow and mccree require in minimal requirments and symmetra does needs heavily due to her right click,

I think you’re ever so slowly coming to realize what I was trying to say.

1 Like

You can try to rationalize low skill heroes all you want. Bottom line is I need to work hard for my kills/heals as a Widow, McCree, Ana, Zen… while you need to build few turrets and wait for the enemy to come to you.

13 Likes