NEWS: Blizzard Korea posts first sanction list of 2020 - Over 7,000 players actioned for disruptive behavior

Thanks to my fellow long-distance forum MVP, Naeri, for tipping me off on this, but this is some huge news that came out. The Overwatch Community Team for Blizzard Korea has updated their complied list of players who have been recently banned due to disruptive behavior in the game. This includes abusive chat and gameplay sabotage. Over 7,200 accounts have been actioned on January 2nd.

It should be noted that Korea is a far more engaged culture when it comes to PC gaming, and this is a common practice in that culture. Here in western markets, the culture is different and in most cases (but not always) it is more appropriate to not give actioned players any public acknowledgement to their offense.

Regardless of your region, if you see any form of disruptive behavior, please be sure to report it using the in-game report tool. As a reminder, those who are actioned who feel their penalty is not justified should start an appeal with Blizzard Customer Service. As always, please make sure to follow the Blizzard In-Game Code of Conduct and work to provide a positive experience for everyone in Overwatch! Cheers!

26 Likes

Lmao that’s insane.
Especially how subjective ‘‘disruptive behavior’’ could potentially be.

8 Likes

I consider the term more appropriate than toxicity. Remember to refer to the Blizzard Code of Conduct on this.

5 Likes

Big Pappa Blizz ain’t screwing around.

Good thing i live in the EU.

Google Translate translation for anyone who’s interested:

Hello Overwatch players.

At Blizzard Entertainment, we’re constantly working to create a more positive gaming experience by removing the barriers to your gameplay experience. We are also improving the in-game reporting and punishment system based on the opinions of many players who are giving advice and attention through the Overwatch forum or community.

As noted in our previous blog 2.9 thousand, players who use inappropriate language in the game are subject to silent sanctions, so that players who are silently sanctioned will not be able to access the game if they repeatedly use the inappropriate language without further improvement. ‘Pause’ sanctions are underway. In addition to profanity and inappropriate language use, penalties for players who have been reported for unsportsmanlike behavior such as deliberate alliances or absences from the game have been strengthened recently.

The sanctions below are a list of accounts and accounts that have been suspended for accounting for unsportsmanlike behaviour, such as abusive language use, intentional alliance disruption, or the absence of a game, and will continue to inform you.

Thank you again for all your feedback and interest throughout the Overwatch community, and if you are witnessing a player that is undermining a healthy gameplay experience, please take advantage of the 2.6 thousand player flag feature. Your active report is the foundation for a healthy and enjoyable Overwatch world.

Thank you.

[Reason for Sanction and Number of Accounts Sanctioned]

Non-mannerive behaviors (including abusive language, inadequate language use, deliberate interference, and no games) – 7,225 (2020/01/02)

[Listed Accounts]

insert THICCCC list

Edit: Edited to increase accuracy

3 Likes

I demand that your last statement is “Insert THICCCC list” edit it now plox

7 Likes

He actually did it…

15 Likes

Good business model, the more people get arbitrarily banned by an automated report system the more secondary accounts they have to buy - finally an Activsion approved cash flow generator.

13 Likes

Thank you (20 characters)

1 Like

Jeez, is my 5 y.o. daughter’s account even safe? I mean, she has every right to compete but many consider her lack of skill ‘disruptive’.

I really want to know. I mean, we’re paying customers.

What would you suggest as a solution to these apparent “arbitrary” bans?

Technically Overwatch is for ages 12 and up though

5 Likes

Despite trolls saying to the contrary, Blizzard does work to identify those who disrupt games. In any case, any player who is actioned should refer to the appeal process for assistance. I would remind you that per the terms of EULA, those under 13 are not allowed to have their own accounts (but are allowed to access an account controlled by their parent or legal guardian who assumes the full responsibility for that account).

5 Likes
  • Not use an automated report system, it has too high a false positive error rate.
  • Publish the metrics used to objectively define sabotage and design/implement them so they are difficult to game (just like crypto - everyone knows how it works, yet it is hard to cheese).

It let her create an account using her birthdate. So I mean they took our money knowing full well her age. That counts as a pass to play.

Ok so she falls under this. See you guys in comp.

2 Likes

Stop being offended by the people who you don’t want to listen to and use the tools Blizzard gave you to mute them yourself instead of running to a bot to have them muzzled by blind authority?

1 Like

saying gg can either make some of the players feel either positive about it and a few special snowflakes will report you for “abusive chat” because Blizzard support once told me something along the lines “if a player think its offensive, then its offensive”.

thats some excellent system right there, we live in a society.

9 Likes

Sanctions over sanctions but still a bad game with bad q times and unplayable heroes , OP heroes.
No wonder so many players get sanctioned.

Let’s not get into fixing the game itself ,no ,ban and suspend players for not playing shield tanks or not playing the meta ,op heroes.

What a horrible game company. I dont know if this thread was made to put blizzard in a good light because to me this does the opposite. It just shows how many players are frustrated with the game and also how easily the report system can be exploited.

1 Like

Exactly why i’m saying that it’s subjective.
Such a system is just so hillariously flawed.

I will always gonna report GG EZ when I read it, I don’t care if you are my teammate or the opponent.

6 Likes

here comes my 2nd suspension guys

4 Likes