Mercy bottom line

this is not an opinion piece on my feelings on mercy (fyi i like the new one as much as i liked the old one)…its a blunt assessment of the actual situation we’re in

the bottom line is this:

you want her changed? then you guys need to come up with a better argument…cause here it is in a nutshell:

shes not fun - arguable
shes not impactful - arguable
shes not viable - arguable

and perhaps theres a better word cause i dont literally mean arguable…anything is arguable…i could sit here and argue that symmetra is the greatest character ever…w/e…i mean that it would actually be a very good question to ask if shes any one of those things i just listed…there are a lot of mercy topics (this one included) from a lot of players saying one or the other…each one basically being a shouting match saying no shes not…yes she is…not shes not…etc etc…

basically you want the devs to change her because she may or may not be one or more of those things…that type of stuff just doesnt result in changes…and im talking major changes here (which lets be honest is the type of changes we’re talking about)…you look at the major changes that have happened…generally speaking they have one thing in common: indisputably bad and hated by the general overwatch community (ie: about as close as youre going to get to “everyone”)

• torb rework: universally considered troll pick
  • sym rework: universally considered troll pick
  • old hog change: if you werent a hog you hated the unavoidable hook one shot
  • new hog change: universally considered troll pick
  • upcoming doomfist changes: “everyone” hates doomfist
  • upcoming brig changes: “everyone” hates brig
  • old mass rez: “everyone” hated playing against it (what the majority of responses will probably focus on…)
  • scatter arrow: “everyone” including my mother who doesnt play OW hated it
  • bastion ironclad: that was quick wasnt it…waiting on bastion 2.0…

you get the idea…the point is…the general overwatch community (the WHOLE community) dictates when major change is needed…not isolated portions of it…thats who they have to actually balance the game for…

you guys are all absolutely entitled to feel how you feel about her (both for and against)…but until the whole community “agrees” on something (and the data also frankly which i hadnt even brought up)…blizz isnt going dedicate time and resources to work on a MAJOR change because maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe she (and more importantly the game itself) needs it

not to mention the argument has been relatively unchanged since her original change…you would think that after 15 months and 3 separate jeff responses people would try to change things up a bit…(or get the picture)

my 2 cents…

argue away

38 Likes

But I couldn’t successfully solo heal a DPS being focus fired by the entire team

Mercy is bad yo

43 Likes

Usually that indicates something is seriously wrong with the hero.

Mercy sucks now

49 Likes

I mean yeah the whole point of having a discussion is for them to convince people that their side of the argument is best but mercy post often fall falt as most of them as revolve around opinions,subjectivity,speculation and

rarely ever talk about balance and when it does occur it’s seems abstract as and most strats seem like most people couldn’t pull off constantly

they’ve been dicussing it for years and yet the community hasn’t buged a bit and small groups of people aren’t exactly going to cause much off a uproar that blizzard has to do something drastic about mercy and yes

they’ve been giving a response and yet it turns right back into speculation of POV of what it means and the very fact people who took it at face vaule a while back turned around denied it

2 Likes

Again you’re entitled to your opinion…but it didn’t work the first time or the second or the third…the point of the post is the argument needs to change…

2 Likes

Her contribution scaling to the team needs to be looked at.

I think she’s the hardest character to be on fire with by doing things that are certainly winning the fight.

On fire meter is a weird psychology thing, but I really think that was part of the huge thrill of a mass rez. You were on fire for pulling that game saving moment.

Now you just know you contributed a lot for that win… And we’ll… Maybe you got 1/8 of a bar. Feels bad.

8 Likes

Mercy has the second highest healing in the game.

Combined with her 6-8 resurrects per game she easily has the highest.

She is also one of the best supports when it comes to damage.

She is easier to play than some other supports, but still has this high healing.

Her ult gives 30% damage boost per target. A total of 150%.
(against the 50% from ana)

2 Likes

She basically has to do the same things as everyone else to easily get on fire. Kill enemies

Without that you need to be constantly healing for like 30 seconds straight while getting assists and cap a point

Getting a rez off also adds a chunk if its like a payload map but yeah I’ve pretty much only ever gotten it after capping a point

I’m on fire but this witch doesn’t burn~

I would like Mercys healing to go back to 60 hp/s. This would allow her to use her other utility, damage boost mid fight more as she wouldnt have to borderline pocket somebody to keep them alive. Currently she is viable but is still arguably the worst main healer at the moment due to the lack of mid-fight value. Even 55 hp/s would be nice. Otherwise, I think she is in a balanced spot

4 Likes

the main arguments given are based on the factors that mercy originally got reworked for. So unless you’re claiming that blizzards criteria for reworking characters are changing (which they should after the moth meta fiasco) then all you’re really saying is that we shouldn’t give feedback because you deem they aren’t effective. Just because we have not seen the devs do anything yet doesn’t mean they aren’t working on something.

See: brigitte
Supposedly her shield bash changes weren’t spurred on by the overwhelming reaction towards the character at blizzcon or the top OW streamer youtube vids that’s popped up recently, but I digress.

18 Likes

Oh I don’t disagree…but again…”whole” community was the one saying it…action much MUCH more likely…that’s what needs to change here (good luck btw)

Feedback is still important…who/where it’s coming from is even more important

3 Likes

I will begrudgingly agree on the fact that who/where the feedback is coming from definitely seems to have an unproportional impact on game balance, for better or for worse.

3 Likes

Valkyrie’s maximum raw output is rivaled by E abilities found on other heroes. Doesn’t sound like an ult to me.

If Mercy’s E Resurrect needs to have ultimate level restrictions on it, shouldn’t it just BE her ultimate? Seriously, a 30s CD and Deadeye levels of cast time and slow down on an ability?

The Devs themselves have stated that her core is healing, mobility, and resurrect. Why does one piece of her core have downsides that fly in the face of the other two?

How do those sound? I have more btw.

34 Likes

Balance

It’s not like there are other abilities that don’t have some inherent downside or weakness

There’s an E ability that effectively gives the team 150% increased damage and double orb of harmony on everyone? Who are these broken heroes?

Yes, Resurrect needed a downside, but on Earth was it given THAT one? There are a bunch of other options that they could have gone with.

Moira’s heal orb heals for 75 hps in an AoE. Granted it isn’t quite as dependable as Valk heals, buuuuuuut it isn’t her ult and she can do other things while the orb does its thing.

Zenyatta’s Discord Orb adds 30% damage to a given target… granting a total of 180% damage to the team. Granted it is more restrictive and can’t be used to burn shields, buuuut again not his ult and doesn’t take his whole concentration.

4 Likes

I think Mercy is fine, the only thing i want changed is the people flaming me to swap to Ana.

I guess this is what the old Ana mains earlier this year felt, hurts. pepehands.

4 Likes

and i could sit here and argue that its merit is not in its ability to do one of those…its in being able to do all of them switching on the fly…which i find both fun, impactful and viable (to go back to the arguments that i consistently see on here)…like i said initially…we can debate the abilities themselves from here til eternity…it doesnt matter honestly…we could argue over the merits of every single ability and how much we like them til no end…they wont change it because of how YOU or I feel about it…how does the GENERAL community feel about it

yeah its a strong ability…and balanced accordingly…it doesnt break the game, it doesnt make her un-useful, you dont hear people clamoring that they hate playing against her (and when they did guess what? nerfs galore)…doesnt mean she needs to be drastically changed because of it…

again the underlying point of the post is the devs have to have a reason or need to change her…as in the game is in need of change…the entire community is calling for it…thats their actual job…(they obviously try to ensure the game is fun)…but theyre not going to change things for the sake of changing things…hope that makes sense…

You could, then I would ask you, why is Mercy’s ultimate the only one that does that? Seriously. Nearly every other ultimate in the game offers insane power or dependability (or both) at the cost of flexibility.

Transcendence trades everything except mobility for the best AoE healing in the game.
Barrage trades everything for being the highest DPS in the entire game.
You get the picture. Often the ones that DON’T do this are labelled as boring, even if they give substantial power boosts. You know the ones… Supercharger, Nanoboost, and infrasight.

Going against the grain can work, and work really well… but you need a REALLY good reason to do it. I don’t think they do with Valkyrie. ESPECIALLY since it took them a year to eventually nerf Valkyrie to how it is now.

An E ability that is stronger than her Q and is balanced in a way that goes against the rest of her strengths. How do you not see that as a design flaw?

The reason is that Mercy goes against a whole lot of commonly accepted things for every single hero for no reason.

11 Likes

sounds to me like youre focusing on the decisions themselves as opposed to why they felt a need to make changes to begin with…which is the point of the thread…everyones entitled to feel any way they like about the abilities themselves man…they honestly cant do anything about that…you make the changes youre suggesting and people will be unhappy with them as well…

the devs need to get to a point where they feel like a change is required by both the game and the community…and thats the part that people dont seem to understand…thats the “bottom line” of the whole mercy “fiasco”…

I like the one answer someone stated that if it didn’t slow you down it would make it very easy to accidentally move out of range and end up canceling it