Unpopular opinion: Mercy's viability

For this month:

Bronze: 3rd most picked hero.
Silver: 4th most picked hero.
Gold: 4th most picked hero.
Plat: 9th most picked hero.
Diamond: 14th most picked hero.
Master: 16th most picked hero. Above Brigitte and Moira.
Grand Master: 16th most picked hero. Above Moira (triple her pick rate tbh) and Brigitte sky rockets to the 8th most picked hero.

She gets niche in top tiers where the meta is NOT even remotely in her favor, see how these PTR changes and Bap rolls out. I wouldn’t call her “niche” though. When I see “niche” I think Bastion, Torb, Sym, etc.

I’m not saying she shouldn’t be changed, I’m down for that, SLIGHT changes, where her kit basically remains where it is. I still remain undecided on if the -10hps nerf was necessary or not. I have said both these things NUMEROUS TIMES. I have also outlined how I would adjust things, reducing the duration of Valk and increasing it’s effects etc etc. All to make the lateral changes that brokenstyli was bringing up. Said all this… Many many times…

She literally isn’t.

Cuz people hold onto Mass Rez like a drug. It’s crazy.

Huh? You can definitely rez stupid, you can’t outheal it.

Huh? Moira is trash in top tiers. Mercy has some rep there. Moira is a QP and mid ladder queen.

Yeah… She’s still that. Dunno what your problem is here?

Alright. That concludes this round. I hope you all come back at me so we can continue this. Please don’t bow out like some other vocal forum Mercy mains have. Let’s talk about this.

1 Like

I never played with Mass rez and Im unhappy with her state :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate but I can also understand why that’s the case. I have been saying I feel adjustments need to be made to Mercy, and since the -10hps nerf was introduced questioning if it was necessary.

The -10hps nerf dropped the same patch BOTH SNIPERS WERE NERFED which seems to be ignored around here, and supports received buffs and such.

I’ve also described our current version of Valk as a hollowed out shell of what it was when Rez refreshes and CD reductions were in place. I’m all for adjusting the duration of Valk and putting that into strengthening elements of Valk like an increase in range or reduction in cast time on Rez along with main beam target receiving more HPS than the chains. Messing with dmg boost however has too many break point complications imo to really deal with.

None of this would satisfy those Mercy mains wanting to relive the Mass Rez days. And those glory days of Mass rez was really just mid ladder and QP type stuff. Coordinated settings, where I spent a lot of my time playing, I’d pop it just to bring my Pharah pocket up. Trash ult.

I want viability. Not “screw you being able to play her in a diversity of comps I just wanna hard swing my gold elo QP matches on the back of Mass Rez cuz no one hunts me down.”

2 Likes

I’d be happy with a stronger main beam in Valk, it would keep it interesting having to juggle that strong beam to keep people alive. 70-75 hps with chain beams healing 30-50 would be cool imo.

I’m strongly against the -10hp/s nerf, it’s as you said the other supports received buffs it wasn’t necessary to bring Mercy down a touch.

I’d love if the devs could explore some quality of life changes for Mercy like giving Rez a manual cancel mechanic resulting in a short “penalty” cd for using it (maybe 6 seconds before you can rez again)

Maybe if they explored the idea of making Rez into a resource they could tweak things like cast time as well to make it more satisfying and rewarding to use but also keeping it balanced

1 Like

I agree, it would be nice. I can understand their hesitation to making shifts to Mercy though. Like for the LONGEST time on this forum it was “Must pick so long as Rez is on E. Rez is so strong.” Etc etc. Now we have E Rez and Mercy is not a must pick. That’s a good thing imo, though she needs some help I agree. Though it’s gotta be done very carefully. It took us -10hps and meta shifts/other hero changes for us to go from must pick to where she is now. Thin line right there.

Right now the devs are clearly trying, imho, to bring Bunker comps up and to lower the dominance of GOATs style comps in high tiers. Throwing some big shift at Mercy could REALLY mess up things.

I think there’s a lot that could be done/changed with Mercy in a way that benefits her viability and overall gameplay experience. However, that all has to do with slight adjustments to her current kit (E rez, Valk as an ult, etc) and the suggestions for a sort of “remove Valk and make rez an ult thing and give her another E and etc etc” that’s a LOTTTTT of changed variables that could lead to another long cycle of balancing. I think it’s obvious the devs dont wanna go there again.

I think we have to be reasonable with our desires when it comes to Mercy adjustment. And the fact of the matter is a lot of people will not be happy regardless of that. Just look at some of the :blush: Forum Users :blush: around here. They been rocking the same position since the beginning.

1 Like

I said it back then and I’ll say it now

Mercy will not receive changes because a small part of the community thinks she’s boring

She will receive changes when she and the game requires it…

It’s not blizz’s job to create characters that you specifically like…it’s their job to make characters that work in game…likability is entirely up to you the player…

I love the fact that for baptiste they basically said “we don’t care that you want an anti-goats character…we’re making what we think is a good support character…you can like him if you want”…because that’s their actual job

3 Likes

That’s real. +1 on that.

1 Like

It’s hard not to get pissed off when the devs contradict themselves where Mercy is concerned saying “she’s fine” hits her with a nerf time and time again.

It’s not that she’s boring that I personally am frustrated with. It’s that she’s been redesigned so poorly and certain people are too stubborn to see this.

She’s a high mobility hero that has to stand relatively still for 1.75 seconds with 75% reduction in movement speed… that’s so excessive and given the fact they’ve watered down the rest of her kit (removal of instant rez in valk + 1 charge and lowered healing all to accommodate rez on e) and they have not gone back and touched on this previous change to rez.
Maybe 1.5 seconds is good enough and a 60% slow.
Maybe an extra rez charge in valk is okay as long as they’re both cast times.

They’re just being stubborn. She’s being played, not so often but still being played and isn’t broken for the game. Good enough for them, job done. :sigh:

2 Likes

Not a Mercy main, and literally identified how to empathize, and you clearly just don’t?

It’s very easy to invalidate someone’s entire argument just by saying so. We’re done talking, you clearly only care about your own opinion.

Damn. So you pick that one thing out and then bow out? That’s sad man. I gave you an entire post and addressed legit everything you said… and then you give me this?

I was hoping for more…

Take care, friend. You gave it a good effort…

Edit:

I know what empathy is. If you quoted the rest of my post youd see I talked about it at length.

Not mad… Just disappointed.

At least you’re in good company. RevertMercy and Titanium all failed to address my arguments. Now I add you to the list.

1 Like

I don’t think Mercy is as terrible as people make her out to be, with that said I have a few issues with her. Please tell me your opinion on them as a high rated player.

I think Mercy lacks direct impact. I think this makes her hard to climb in ladder. I think she is too team reliant and while being in a high rank it could be easy to say that’s fine, in lower ranks relying on randoms is more of drawing names out of a hat and hoping they are good enough feels bad. Ana for example can sleep someone who has ult and therefore save a team fight, for Mercy it’s like hope they only kill one person so I can rez them or hope someone else can save the day. I’d like her to have a direct way to direct impact. (I don’t mean this to sound like I want her to be OP or anything, I don’t. I just want some oomf.)

My other issue is I think her heals while aren’t horrid, were a bit faster. It takes 4 seconds to heal a Dva to full health without her taking damage which 4 seconds is a long time in a fast pace game like Overwatch. She lacks a burst heal and a secondary healing ability which can make it hard to keep people alive sometimes especially in high stake situations. This being said I don’t think she needs burst heals or a secondary healing ability, but making her healing a bit faster would be nice.

The only rez change I want is to be able to crouch. Just let me crouch when I rez please haha.

I have no problems with her mobility. Thats why I play her. I adore her mobility.

1 Like

I’m a new player and currently in bronze (unfortunately) and I think this post is really right about mercy. Before i bought the game, a lot of people said that she is just an off-healer and her healing is weaker than the other supports. I main mercy and whenever I use her, I always gets the most healing (my average heals in 10 minutes is 10,000 healing). Her primary healing is fine as it is, but I do think that her ultimate needs a little buffs.

I don’t understand why most players said baptiste (or any other support) is going to overshadow mercy. By mobility, mercy is probably the second best in the support category. Her consistent healing is also her primary strength as the other support didn’t provide healing like mercy does.

Her self-heal passive is also a really good ability that most people taken for granted. Most supports has to either deal damage to heal themselves or use their ability or being healed by the other support. Mercy however, just need to keep a safe distance from her enemies while healing her allies and herself.

I used to think that her healing is not as strong as the other primary healers. While it’s true, her consistency is what makes her stand on the same ground as they are. I do think her ultimate needs a little buff so that Valkyrie can be more useful.

2 Likes

Quest, that was beautiful.

Just beautiful

Like tears forming in my eyes beautiful

Thank you

1 Like

You literally said that my points are not up for debate, repeatedly ignored my statements when I said you could concretely describe satisfaction with legitimate game theory, and one-by-one wrote a checklist of retorts that don’t actually address any of my points but your imagined version of my points. You continue to regurgitate what you’ve already have said when I’ve already told you your items are entirely sidestepping the point.

Your version of satisfying isn’t mine, fine, but that doesn’t change the fact that creativity, expression, and excitement are significantly reduced than what they were pre-rework and post-nerfs.

Valkyrie’s flight is NOT an equalizer, flight or not, her base kit has been reduced to the point where she has fewer options and expression available to her at launch.

Two of the points you completely ignored or intentionally misunderstood.

People that say Mass Rez is unfun CHARACTERISTICALLY IGNORE what Mercy players have said.

Of which there are about a thousand individual posts saying that they don’t want Mercy to be OP, they just want her to have some sort of engagement that is better than the current version.

There are hundreds of ideas that can shift balance laterally and trade around powers with the existing ones in game… she can be exactly the same in terms of power as she is now.

It doesn’t have to be a revert, yet everyone completely ignores and invalidates any points and groups them in with the revert/rework crowd… which you’ve done, 4 times, just to me.

Listed below…

You have no reading comprehension.

Each one of these was removed for balance sake until only one remained, which is fine… balance is necessary after all. However, the one that remained is just a copy of an already existing ultimate, Supercharger.

Pre-emptive, as in, you activate before a teamfight instead of during. I couldn’t have made this any more clear with the literal words

before a teamfight

Furthermore, by saying something is just pure emotion, you’re discarding the fact that emotion carries weight in a conversation. Tone policing is obnoxious and completely ignores one of the three major components of an argument, pathos.

Not to mention you being a hypocrite and saying that emotion should be removed from the equation, when you yourself just put your emotions out on the table and escalated them above others’.

Mass Rez is just one option. If you haven’t lived under a rock, you’d have heard tempo and solo rezzing as being options as well in her launch kit.

Many other options have been suggested post-Valkyrie.

No, you can’t. You intentionally misdirected all of my talking points to things that you could pick apart one by one.

This is not an emotional argument. This is not an exaggerated argument. I have no attachment to Mercy, and personally if she were to be F tier forever to the end of time, I wouldn’t care because my preferred healers are Ana, Lucio, Moira, and Zen.

I’m not a Mercy main.

The only emotion I’m feeling is frustration, from talking with you, because you take things so incredibly literally, and then assert yourself as right.

1. I haven’t done that.
  2. I’ve only made observations up until this point.
  3. I’ve supported my statements with grounded game dev theory
  4. You’ve discarded and continue to discard every statement I make.

We’re done here. You keep saying I’m emotional, and that my talking points are about emotion and balance, when I’ve been on a completely different angle from the start.

I’m not going to entertain you by trying to argue against something that was never a counterpoint to my argument.

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging: you may be right but she’s still kind of boring and when Baptiste comes out I’ll enjoy playing with the things we wanted on Mercy.

1 Like

I am honestly glad that some Mercy mains will finally be able to move on by playing Baptiste instead of Mercy. I am not saying good riddance here, mind you, rather it is my hope that everyone, even the :blush: hardliners, will be able to move on at some point to some other character

All the more reason to look forward to Echos introduction into the game, as I think she too is a support, with a strong possibility of flight powers

2 Likes

All 3 of the main healers have high pick rates. Until higher ranks where people don’t need massive healing as much.
What’s your point?

I’d say a bit more than slight changes. For the record, I don’t think mass Resurrect should come back.

It’s actually fairly logical.

Excellent. This is what I wanted. Some actual substance to sharpen my teeth on instead of “BUT YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT MY FEELS, QUEST!!!”

Let’s go.

My “items” aren’t sidestepping the point. I have legit taken on everything you have said head on. And I will now do that again. Please. It’s clear I am making an effort to explore our disagreement and further understand it. You didn’t provide any of that with your response before this. You just tucked tail which is a coward move. I’m glad you stepped up.

I haven’t said your points aren’t up for debate, I’ve said that I have no reason to give them more weight than someone saying “REEE MASS REZ WAS BROKEN OP AND UNFUN!” In my eyes, the two of you are equally wrong and equally not really worth dealing with. I’m hoping as I dive into this reply of yours that you change my mind. Let’s see…

Uh… No? I find those things increased compared to Mercy 1.0. I can express myself skillfully through use of GA and the bunnyhop tech in ways I couldn’t during Mercy 1.0. I can express myself via Valk in ways that I couldn’t prior to the rework. I felt that Mass Rez, with it’s requirement of team mates being dead, limited my expression in a lot of ways.

Again, who’s feelings do we care about more?

Her kit, outside of ult, was ONLY reduced when it came to the recent -10 hps nerf. A nerf I have said numerous times I’m unsure was necessary.

Yeah… No… I completely acknowledged and totally understand them both. They’re just weak points. You get that, right?

Doesn’t matter. You’re saying I’m ignoring you, and now you’re saying people that say Mass Rez is unfun are ignoring things as well. Wanna talk about what you’re ignoring? Why do I have reason to put significant weight behind your feelings and what you’ve said compared to them? I don’t find your arguments very well reasoned or well constructed. Just like I don’t find the arguments of people saying “MASS REZ IS UNFUN” as being reasoned or well constructed.

Thus why I don’t deal with the feelz. Makes sense, ya?

Huh? I’m pretty sure I haven’t lumped you in with any particular group.

And hey, to be fair, you’ve been assuming a lot about me, haven’t you? You continue to do it. Let them without sin cast the first stone, yo.

I’m starting to feel it’s better than yours tbh.

You said preemptive damage boosting. You can’t preemptively damage boost how Mercy is rn on live. I think you’re failing to understand what is taking place.

I didn’t say it was pure emotion. Again, you’re assuming. I’m not discarding anything. I’m arguing it just doesn’t carry water/weight. That’s it.

I cited my own emotions in relation to your citation of your emotions to show that we are at odds and as such our emotions cancel out. I’m not being hypocritical at all. You are really failing to understand what’s taking place here it seems.

Uh huh… So now you assuming I don’t know about tempo and solo rezzing? I explained to you how in the scrims I played in Mass Rez was used to just bring up Pharah. Like… Reading comprehension? Are you failing to understand what I’m saying?

I know they have. I myself have suggested some of them. Again, reading compreheension?

No I didn’t. I addressed them head on. I’m sorry that your arguments are weak but I can’t help you with that. I can take over for you if you want. Like I said, I can argue what you are FAR better than you are. Want me to demonstrate that?

If that’s the case for you, then the same can be said for me. But you seem to try and portray me as some unreasonable and emotional party in this discussion. Nonsense. Get your story straight.

That’s cool, I actually do care. So if you don’t care, bow out.

Never said you were. Reading comprehension?

That frustration is because you make terrible arguments and I don’t let that noise stand. I will tear down what you say. Period. You attempt to do the same to me, so don’t act surprised when I turn it around on you.

Yeah we are done here. As you have no argument. Legit.

Good effort though. You take care, now.

1 Like

My point is that she isn’t niche like you were trying to portray her. Obviously.

We can agree on that. (woops, sorry for putting argue there I meant agree lmao rip)

Holding onto Mass Rez isn’t fairly logical. It’s emotional.

1 Like

Did you miss that from silver up until whenever Moira falls off like a boulder, both other main healers are picked more than her?

That means that in her role of main healer, she is in fact niche.

Also can I just say how ridiculous it is that Ana is picked more than Mercy in SILVER? Even at the height of Ana’s triple tank meta, that didn’t happen until above platinum. Granted Moira didn’t exist at the time, but still.

From a certain point of view it is very logical. “I don’t like Mercy 2.0, I liked Mercy 1.0. It should be easy to just go back. Why don’t we just do that?”

On the surface, that seems perfectly logical.

1 Like