[Main Thread] Rendering Device Lost - Older GPUs

For anyone using gt710 i fixed it by installing driver version 460.89 this might work for other video cards idk.

3 Likes

I confirmed that. Really fix the rendering error. 9 games and no crash

working solution for me is set MAXIMUM FRAME RATE, on nvidia 1060 game runs 150+fps, if I set to 80 fps game don’t crash

I have a RX 580 8 GB with a R5 2600 and it keeps giving me the crash error. Now it wont cooperate with my AMD drivers and shuts off the GPU completely. I reinstalled windows, AMD Drivers worked just fine until I reinstalled Overwatch 2. There’s 100% an issue with this game. Also it would always eat my CPU and GPU. Would take 100% out of the both for no reason and I played at the lowest settings. Always made my GPU overheat for whatever reason. It only happens with this game.

1 Like

My GPU is rx 480 (supported) and I get rendering device is lost. This has nothing to do with minimum specs so instead of throwing cheap excuses fix the issue that’s preventing people from playing the game.

1 Like

I used to have problems running Overwatch 1 on an old i5 3570K overclocked to 4.4GHz and GTX 670 GPU with the same rendering device lost message and the below steps removed the issue so something between the Blizzard Launcher and Overwatch 1 was causing a conflict, hopefully it works for Overwatch 2 as well.

For whatever reason the below also improved game performance by a pretty noticeable degree which makes me think when the Blizzard Launcher was doing something in the background it had a pretty drastic impact on the games performance which makes sense as the 3570k was often fully maxed out on all cores running at 109fps or more.

Ensure the game is up-to-date.

Use Windows explorer to go to the retail directory in C:\Program Files\Overwatch, Overwatch 2 may use a different path if you changed the install location when installing Overwatch 1 or 2.

Right-click Overwatch.exe select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and tick “Disable full-screen optimisations” and “Run this program as an administrator”. Right-click Overwatch.exe and “Show more Options” > “Send To” > “Desktop (create shortcut”) to make a desktop shortcut.

Make sure the Blizzard launcher is not running and check the task manager to confirm it is indeed closed.

Try launching Overwatch 2 via Overwatch.exe or the desktop shortcut you made. You will have to log-in manually each time you bootup the game.

Hello there!
I always get “Rendering device lost” error on my i5-4590 and intel HD4600 (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD). I clearly remember this integrated videocard was in minimum requirements few month ago, now it’s gone from OW2 sys requirements page.
I had this error in OW and OW2. Game randomly crashes while OWL streams on youtube launched in Firefox or Chrome. It’s such a cringe that i can’t play Overwatch and watch OWL-streams at the same time! Please fix it!

Game often crashes at start of match (in OW1 I lose 50 rank points every time). I thought, it could not be worse, but it could!

Today OW2 crashes with the same error while OWL-stream was launched. Match did not finished in first 10 seconds, and I had hope to return to match and win, BUT!!! When I entered the game, my teammates (i was in group and i was a leader) were thrown out of match in main menu! However, we returned to the match but it was too late.

What kind of error is it? Why my teammates were thrown out of match too? Please, fix it! In Overwatch1 my game-crashes did not affect my group-mates.

Overwatch 2 and Overwatch League makes me feel guilty towards my friends. Awesome feelings and experience from the game ever!

Also I tried RTX3050 in OW1. It also had issues. Game just froze while streaming in OBS and watching stream status on youtube in Firefox. Hard reset required. So, I dont think there is a problem in videocard.

P.S. OW2 conflicts with FRAPS. That was a suprise. OW1 worked perfect with it. For me FRAPS is the only software for recording OW-play without freezes. OBS can record only 3-10 fps, instead of 30 fps which i have in game.

Chrome/Firefox is possibly trying to use some element of the 4590K hardware video decoding and/or iGPU and it is causing a conflict with Overwatch. You can possibly fix the issue yourself by disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome/Firefox.

In a new Chrome tab type chrome://gpu/ and hit enter.

Under Graphics Feature Status check the status of Video Decode: if it is Hardware accelerated then the hardware of the i5-4590 is handling video decoding so you can try disabling it.

To switch hardware video decoding off in Chrome type chrome://flags/ in a new tab and hit enter. Look for Hardware-accelerated video decode (You can use CTRL+F then type video to get to the setting quickly) and set it to disabled, close all chrome instances then launch Chrome and again check chrome://gpu/ to confirm hardware video decoding is disabled.

Since the 4590K only has 4 physical CPU cores like an old 3570K overclocked to 4.4GHz I had this may lower game performance somewhat but it’s likely the iGPU will be the limiting factor when it comes to fps and not the physical CPU core utilisation/performance.

I would also try what I listed in the prior post so you’re playing the game without the Blizzard Launcher in the background taking up resources.

Goodluck.

2 Likes

I don’t work at Blizzard so your reply doesn’t make sense.

Stop simping for blizzard then.

5 Likes

That’s so far off lol

Not really, your responses here are far from helpful. There’s clearly some optimisation that needs to be done on Blizzards side, as this is happening to more than just “unsupported GPUs” so taunting those with iGPUs doesn’t really help anybody or advance the thread.

As for AMD APUs not being supported, that really is a mystery to me as they are more powerful than some of the “supported” cards listed. Almost like Blizzard are admitting to poor optimisation and hiding behind higher minimum system requirements than OW1. My APU can run Cyberpunk, I think it can handle a light esports title.

7 Likes

From my testing to day, this issue appears to only affect Fullscreen setting for me. Switching it Borderless Fullscreen has resolved this issue in my case.

Hope this info helps others to, something I overlooked initially when testing settings but surprise surprise, something that should just work (like it did in OW1) doesn’t.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with my GTX 780. I can play this game with no lag or any issues even of high quality and fps. But after a while the game crashes. :frowning:

1 Like

GTX 780 here as well, just reinstalled the game today. Drivers are updated, nothing running in the background, no lag or anything. Can barely get through a full game without it crashing. Really seems like it’s on Blizz’s end.

1 Like

GTX 780 here too. With a AMD 5800x and 32GB of ram.
The problem is on Blizzard’s devs.
I run DDU to uninstall everything from nVidia’s drivers and have a fresh reinstall but the crash still happens.
I tried borderless window, fullscreen, low, medium, high settings… nothing solved it.
There is no overheating, plenty of vRam left, and more than 60fps but I still cap it at 60.

Only thing left to try is n1cholas’ idea…

2 Likes

Nope. Still crashed. Sometimes it crashes before even playing 1 match, sometimes it crashes after a few. This time it crashed during the 5th with medium graphics.
Tried everything at this point. The game runs fine but there is an issue that the devs overlooked, or not willing to seek and fix.

Screenshot
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_QxMVlpPxzXwUWJ4foeNG7yCXX24OFPw/view?usp=share_link

I bet that they will never fix this. Any other game runs fine.

1 Like

Oh I just remembered one other thing you could try.

Make a copy of the Overwatch.exe file which Windows will automatically name Overwatch - Copy.exe, you can create a desktop shortcut to it if you wish.

Use the same compatibility options as the original Overwatch.exe (you can remove the compatibility options for the original Overwatch.exe as they didn’t work).

I’m not sure why but this was one of the steps I had to perform back when I was playing on two PCs, one with a GTX670 and the other with a GTX770 or else I’d get rendering device lost frequently.

The GTX670 GPU core died and I gifted the GTX770 to a friend’s young nephew who wanted to get into gaming so I don’t have either to test with any more.

The problema with overwatch is Blizzard itself they are so lazy to fix the things that does not work in the game, idk is like My PC perfectly run Overwatch 2 but Blizzard does not wants to be run because a bug they don’t want to fix

4 Likes

You’re reading something that isn’t there. Providing information isn’t “taunting.” As for the AMD APUs, that’s info from the devs, so I’m just making the info available. I have no part in the compatibility or choices for the title.