Losing the motivation

Losing the motivation to even try to climb any more. At my all-time low in platinum, I’ve done everything I can to try and improve. Nobody wants to group up and play the ladder as a team. There is seemingly no hope. The system just wants to keep me here. Looking for some words of encouragement.

8 Likes

For short, my favorite motto:

If you can Stand, you can Fight! =]

Longer version:
You should never give up. Give each match your best performance, be confident in yourself and positive your teammates and they will be more willingly to cooperate to help you secure the win.

Look to improve, decrease your deaths and increase your value. We all have a TON of mistakes that we constantly do that can costs us matches. I myself have a ton too, which is keeping me from reaching GM+.

If you ever feel tilted and not having any fun, take a break for a few days or a week if you can, so you can come back with a fresh mindset. Spend that time playing other type of games or even watch your own VODs.

Side note: I don’t hate you or anyone else on the forums, I just really dislike when people always want the easy way to climb while constantly complaining about teammates/match maker and other factors.
We are all in the ranks that we deserve to be in, to climb, you need to improve. I used to be a hardstruck gold player myself, blaming teammates for losses. After fixing my mindset, being more positive and working on improving my terrible mechanical skill, positioning, gamesense and etc, I was able to climb all the way to High Masters and peaked Top 194.

So if I can do it, you can too!

3 Likes

so what about my diamond account

2 Likes

just try and think of comp as a season-to-season improvement, not game to game. if you lose a couple close matches, you are still improving. Your aim will get slightly better, positioning, game knowledge etc.

Think more long term and don’t let yourself get demotivated after a couple losses. Ranked is a very hard grind. Take a break small break too if you feel as though you aren’t enjoying it. I believe in you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:laughing:

Okay, let me ask you something. What’s more likely? The matchmaker has a personal grudge against you and wants to make sure you never climb?
OR
You just play at a platinum level? There’s nothing to be ashamed of

5 Likes

As someone who has only ever been Bronze - Gold, the most important thing for a game is to have fun. If climbing is your goal, and you enjoy making progress to your goal, then there’s nothing stopping you.

There’s nothing wrong with being any particular SR. In fact, if you’re not always improving, then chances are your SR will go down, because the player base is always striving to play better and fighting to climb higher.

Just buckle down, solo queue, and review your own replays. If you have trouble finding something to improve, seek someone to review your gameplay with you. Everyone benefits from some help and coaching.

Go back to the question of “is this fun?” And “is this what I want?” If it’s fun and what you want, it’ll be easy to find the time to put in. Getting a lower or higher SR doesn’t make you any different as a person, it’s just your response to the situation that matters.

8 Likes

i play like a god and what do i get for it?

Every time I see someone down on themselves I genuinely do want to give them words of encouragement. But how can I do this for you when your ego is too big for an elevator ride?

Yeah you play good… But you’re far from “Godlike.”

I would love to group up and play, but I haven’t touched Overwatch consistently in over 2 months. If I were to go back, there’s “00.00” chance I could match the mechanical skills required to perform at a high Platinum/low Diamond level…

My experience from climbing out of plat is, its easier as a duo or 3-stack. The uniquely skilled can definitely do it solo… I personally find it extremely challenging.

Winners never quit and quitters never win…

The system really doesn’t care about you. You need to outperform your peers. If you’re stuck at your rank, you’re probably capable of "peaking" (400 to 500) SR above your current rank. But your consistent performance is what your current SR is. As you improve and become more consistent, your consistent baseline increases.

6 Likes

I was gonna watch then I saw you were 6 stacking and X’d out. Solo q if you want your true rank.

4 Likes

what exactly your daily practice routine looks like, also what heroes are you good at, what do you prefer. How much time a day can you play? Also how many days a week?

3 Likes

In watching the first couple minutes of your Rien play on Anubis:

• You’ve missed several fire-strikes or sent them into Zar bubble

• You’re not communicating with your off-tank (who is actively shot calling and non-toxic).
    – You should be calling out cool downs (Zarya no friendly)
    – You should be shot calling targets (MONKEY MONKEY MONKEY) until he is dead…
    – You charge a couple of times when there was no reason, and honestly you should have just died on first point to buy more time. I understand why you didn’t though, but I think the ult charge they’d gain from you is honestly minimal compared to the most valuable resource (TIME).

• @ 03:10: you’re aimlessly walking around looking for Widow which is NOT Rienhardts responsibility… You should be up front holding the line. You saw widow go on the flank, call it out in TC and let your DPS/Supports find them and destroy them.

#lying… You’re literally 6-stacking… :face_with_monocle: :roll_eyes:

Junkertown:

So you auto-lock Rien on a map that’s much better suited for a bunker composition?? That’s definitely not Diamond level understanding of the game…

Yeah… Sure… You can run brawl on Junkertown (1st point), but why would you do this on a map with such large and open sight lines and multiple flank routes into your backline? Literally a Hanzo/Widow/Tracer/Ashe/Echo/Genji/Sombra dream opportunity…

Also you should be flagged for Abusive Chat (@ 15:15) but I’m not gonna split hairs ig…

• @ 17:14: There’s no reason for you to drop here… If the enemy team was more coordinated/prepared they would have punished you for this and you’d have fed. The better option was just to rotate back from high ground.

• Your shield management isn’t great (at least on this map). And again… This is part of the reason you probably shouldn’t be on Rien. They’re running a relatively spam heavy comp (with Winston who cleaves through shields anyways…). Do you really think you’re getting max value out of Rien here?

• @ 18:38: The opposite of a Godlike charge… More like a Gold-like charge. You didn’t even try to line yourself up on Winston… You legit just “yolo” it…

• @ 19:08: Do you understand the damage ramp-up effect of High-Noon? You do realize that just shield botting is a sure-fire way to get your team (and you) killed… (Diamond players know this). Cree will absolutely destroy your shield. And he does… :slight_smile:

You come out of spawn and directly feed your nuts off…? :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

They don’t have a reaper and your team has a Bapt and an Ana… Your DPS are struggling a bit to effectively deal with Widow. You should probably be on Monkey and trying to help them out…

Or you should be shot calling your D.Va to dive on Widow… Again… YOU should be leading your team… Or you shouldn’t be on tank and wondering why you’re not climbing…

• @19:56 You use shatter on Cree and hog when the team fight is already won?? @20:14 you’re shield botting when you should be letting your shield regenerate?

• @ 23:20 Why aren’t you calling out the location of the Torb turret so your DPS can focus it down!!! You’ve literally already lost over 100 HP because you and your team are not effectively dealing with the turret… :unamused: :unamused:

• @26:29 I feel like you should seriously consider unbinding charge for a while… (I did it when I was learning Rien and I can think of at least 3 or 4 GM tank mains I’ve talked to who also have). For the last 3 minutes I’ve watched you use charge on cool down and honestly only get value out of it twice…
    – Once when you killed Roadhog
    – Once when you disengaged from a lost team fight…

• After action report: You have more deaths than you do elims… Kinda yikes dude…
  • 30:12 - I hear the pain in this players voice when she’s telling you, you need to be more flexible… Its cool that you still think OTP’ing is the way to play Overwatch… I can assure you it only works for a select group. You’re not in it…

By far not the ugliest tank play I’ve ever seen, but definitely NOT Diamond level Rien play…

7 Likes

I agree that solo queue is the only way to know for sure what your SR should be. Competitive Suggestion - Solo Queue

Well, I wasn’t trying to make it about this, but…

Yeah, not just 6-stack, but LFG 6-stack. This is absolutely the worst way to go.

I’d say you’ll do better solo Q, in the long run.

I don’t feel qualified to do a review of your gameplay, but felt Calculus’ statements about shatters and charges rang true.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why you took the time to write all of that to highlight the most trivial of mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes even the pros and everyone has reasons for their own decisions…

Every time I read one of these massive gameplay reviews I wonder if the person who does those kinds of reviews does it more for themselves because I can’t understand why they would otherwise. I guess it is kind of fun to critique other peoples gameplay and feel or make-believe one is an expert

I’m gonna be completely honest here:
If the only reason you’re playing is to climb, you might as well stop.

Focusing solely on climbing is just going to be a constant spiral of negativity that’ll do nothing but make you miserable. Either you don’t climb and you hate yourself for it, or you do climb, hit your goal, then you set a new goal and it starts all over again. There’s always a higher bar to reach, so if you only focus on climbing, then you’ll never be good enough.

Enjoy the matches for what they are and just let whatever happens, happen.

They’re not all trivial. Some of these mistakes an actual pro would never make.

Pro tip: don’t post vods if you don’t wamt feedback. Folks are always happy to help, but we’re not here to stroke your ego, you seem to have that covered on your own.

Personally I’m constantly critiquing myself. Being aware of one’s faults is the #1 step to improvement. Constantly writing off any and all criticism while at the same time insisting that you’re a literal god player is the biggest flaw one could have if they’re serious about trying to improve and climb.

Not to mention I find the game actually more enjoyable when I can take a step back and say “alright, coulda done that differently” instead of going “OMG MY TEAM IS COSTING US THE MATCH” after every lost fight.

3 Likes

Wasting ultimate on a team fight that’s been won is far from trivial and is definitely a reason you don’t deserve diamond.

You don’t understand hero interactions and how they affect your hero when you’re playing the game and you die multiple times from it. This is a definitive reason you don’t deserve to be Diamond.

You’re being heavily damaged by a turret which takes away all of your damage mitigating armor (which allows you to be more “tanky”) resulting in you getting killed faster. Because you are unable to make proper decisions, you don’t deserve to be diamond.

Your way of playing Rien is effectively feeding as hard as you can and this is the kind of play I see from Bronze/Silver players. Constantly feeding the enemy team is why you don’t deserve to be diamond…

The mistakes you make are the mistakes of low/average elo players. This is why you are not diamond…

I’m far from being an expert. But I’m definitely better than you at Overwatch :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The non existant one? Yeah sure.

Fixed it for ya ;]

Agreed man, I just gave him words of encouragement, what does he do? “I am the best I deserve to be atleast Diamond, but I have my teammates are trash.”

3 Likes

I lost the motivation too, only difference is that I actually did climb. Spent a month climbing from 2154 to 3257 on support. Next season, played my placements. Every one had a thrower tank. Every single one. Went from 3257 to 3054. Haven’t played comp since. I gurantee you not a single one of those accounts was penalized, and if they were, since I’m on xbox they probably just made another account. I don’t even wanna bother anymore.

I give him a legitimate VOD review, pointing out some key areas where he needs to go back and review the mistakes he’s making so he can be cognizant of his decisions the next time he finds himself in-game.

What does he do?

Act like his bowl movement doesn’t stink and that I’m sitting here picking on him because I have every intention of being a cyber bully (I wish… That would honestly be way more fun…).

The reality is, after having watched this game-play I’m really wondering if this isn’t a bought/boosted account…? No way the same player I just watched was the player that climbed this account to Diamond… No shot…

2 Likes

I’ve been in this position. Remember that there’s still 18ish days in the season. Step back, take a break from the game, play other games or do whatever to take your mind off of it and come back when you feel motivated to play.

3 Likes

ok prove it play together and see who carries who… and let’s see your rein …