Korean YouTube poll on open queue vs role queue

Oh, yeah, tanks and healers are the issue here - you cant balance the game to have X healing, Y mitigation and Z damage across 30ish heroes and for every comp to be even vaguely equal in OQ.

The interactions between the different elements there mean certain comps will spiral in power through synergy. The healing/minitgation synergy is massively powerful - if you make healing that’s OK for solo healer teams, it’ll be massively OP for 3/2 teams. DPS just get left behind, mathematically.

RQ exists to squish the maths into a nicer box.

1 Like

100% agree, and it is why OW can’t be balanced, it is like a cursed problem to do so.

It doesn’t mean you can’t have better or worse balance, but there is a pretty hard upper limit on what good balancing looks like. (and keeping hero diversity)

1 Like

Absolutely - most hero based games intentionally go through cycles of power for heroes very intentionally (shifting the meta on purpose - it keeps players interested). New heroes generally go in OP to make them popular. Cant really do that as effectively in OQ where synergy matters more than individual power.

You could break that synergy, but then you either get heroes that are patheticly weak in certain team comps or you have to change them to be more generic.

Given the desire for more individual agency in OW2, balancing around OQ seems counterintuitive.

1 Like

Koreans preferring open queue is old news. I’m not korean, nor do I play with them.

I’ll say this: if they remove RQ, I’ll probably play a lot less, or drop OW altogether. Others like me probably also will. The question is then: do you think all those players who dropped the game ~4 years ago will all come back now that the game is OQ again? Do you think it’ll be the “glory days” (mmm yeah 3 dps instalocks) again?

3 Likes

Ok so let Korea servers have Open Queue as the main mode and we can keep Role Queue over here :hugs:

2 Likes

It’s already almost the main mode. They can choose to play open queue and in fact blizz released stats that that is what a load of them do.
These are fairly old, but are still interesting:

It doesn’t really matter which is the “main mode” since they are being given roughly equal footing on the main screen.

No one does, we know for a fact we have more casuals here and even though a solution was avaliable (Literally forcing 222 via LFG), people were too lazy for it.

This thread is about debunking claims of which one is actually better. Role Queue might be good, forced 222 isnt. That is just the truth.

Lets be honest though, from a game balance point of view, the LFG was never gonna do anything useful. Balance only works if it applies to everyone.

Different culture and approach to competitive games. They are not better for being korean, they are better because they work harder.

This said, open queue is a success there because they want to win and will choose the proper comp to do that. We don’t have that on the west, I’m sorry. People in the west just like to have their own fun, even though that could mean defeat or a bad time for their teams. And that’s ok. It’s just a game.

Also, I’m pretty sure if everyone would stop playing role queue and only played open queue, there would be 0 improvements in their ranks. It’s just excuses.

Took them only like 2-3 years (whenever RQ was added). I’ve been saying it should be a sub-mode of QP just like it is in comp.

You don’t. We established RQ is the “serious” mode, so just leave open queue alone already.

2 Likes

I agree - but given it was about making OQ the “main” mode, those issues would need to be addressed.

1 Like

I just hate the idea of burying in the arcade. It was actually amazing they even kept it as a permanent mode, I totally expected it to be on some random rotation. Still need No Limits to become another sub-mode (you know, where you can have 10 Reins).

2 Likes

Maybe I just don’t want to solo queue into a match with four mercy mains, a dva main and myself.

No offense to mercy mains at all but getting an open queue match where players are expecting to play a certain hero and realizing half your team only knows how to play that one hero is an insta loss.

I advocate flexing on all roles to become a more well rounded player but obviously this will never be a reality and many players will always have a singular role that they play.

This is where the huge flaws in open Q just begin.

You could say but the OQ matchmaker can just make sure it doesn’t end up with all supports or tanks by using your time played on a role as a prameter for matchmaking. Ok cool, so if the matchmaker is going to take your most played role into account then what should the split be? Bam, role queue exists in open queue.

Open queue was more often than not a total mess full of toxicity, selfishness and malicious compliance.

Those rose tinted glasses are mighty foggy.

1 Like

I did have match with 5 mercy players, but it was eternity ago.
Later matchmaker stopped doing that

My point exactly. If open queue is curating the roles via the matchmaking then it is essentially role queue.

Lol what? 2-2-2’s queue times are why I don’t play Role Queue. Queue line simulator isn’t fun. Who wants to spend more time in queue than actually in matches? I’m just trying to have fun and enjoy games. And that’s only possible thanks to Open Queue. I just don’t understand why Blizz thought it was a good idea to cut the player base into two parts. Should have just left things the way they were. It was perfect back then.

2 Likes

I fixed it for you

1 Like

A lot of people apparently considering the dps queue times is still so high.

I agree that only 1 mode should have been left.

if it was perfect, there wouldn’t have been a need to change the game to 222

They like open queue because they play in cafes and want shorter queues.

Their lack of time and money forces them to have a more open mind about what they play in open queue