July 3rd Sombra PTR changes are good, but still don't fix her fundimental issues

Referring to these changes posted by Geoff. For more information on why the PTR Sombra is bad, be sure to stop by my other thread!

To quote Geoff:

Let me go over the good and bad here:

The Good

• Detection radius reverted, meaning main paths can be stealth options again
  • Translocator doesn’t scream “COME AND RUIN MY DAY!” anymore
  • Solidifies Sombra’s place as a hard counter for Hammond/Wrecking Ball. Actually this may wind up being one of her best matchups versus tanks besides D.Va and her critbox of terror
  • Reload interruptions allow her to be MUCH more aggressive. And this is the direction she should be going in.

The Bad

• We still have the bootleg knockoff stealth that doesn’t hold a candle to the stealth we have on live. It’s still actively slowing down the game and encouraging players to play Sombra slower. Speed boost and contesting are still TWO very big losses for something that, again, won’t really benefit any good Sombra player ever
  • Translocator is still destructable. Keeping more things out of Sombra’s control and still giving her a lot of inconsistence. Infinite or otherwise, It doesn’t particularly bother me, nor a lot of other Sombra players, but that consistency is important.

My Suggestions

Keep the newly announced PTR changes for Sombra, revert the first load. Trial it in the game for a while and see if she needs to be much stronger, if at all.

In an ideal situation I’d say we come out like this:

• Sombra as she is in live
  • Cancel translocator with interact key
  • Interrupt reload with hack
  • Can disable Hammond/Wrecking Ball’s ultimate for 10 seconds
  • Bug fixes

In my opinion, this will perfectly nail a good Sombra.

17 Likes

Yes. This and she will be deadly in the right hands. I cannot agree more with you.

C’mon devs. You can’t ignore the reality that Sombra players know better how she feels and plays.

1 Like

I’d love them to revert it and keep the things you stated towards the end, but I’m just stoked (and surprised) that Blizzard even changed her before it went live. Like Geoff said, it’s unlikely we’ll ever see 75% movement speed ever again, and that sucks because it really does slow her down, and makes her so much more boring and tedious to play. I’m glad the translocator is quieter now, but IMO it’s still ridiculous that a turret can shoot it once and destroy it. It should be player destroyed only if they want it to have a health bar.

3 Likes

I agree with you but I still want a damage threshold on Translocator to be something higher.

In comparision here, why does Symmetra teleporter have so much HP? You can’t even stop her from moving herself / team around in any sort of time quick enough to react. That moves possibly an entire team! Sombra can only move herself. Seems like a weird fairness factor here that maybe they will reduce teleporter HP to some extent down the line.

TLDR
Sombra translocator is made of paper, it needs to become at least breaking quality of Tupperware.

1 Like

I kind of feel like you should separate the movement speed and contesting parts of stealth into two separate points. They are both very important and I think it undermines the point of listing bullet points for “The bad” if you combine several points into one, but make distinct points for all “The good” stuff.

Just IMO, but things should be as simply laid out as possible, with reasoning behind why each change is good or bad.

That’s what she said.

1 Like

I think I will add a few things just to make her more Constistand:

• Hack and Stealth break on 30dmg instead of 1.

• Make hack more Visible

and I think she would be a Hero on the level of other DPS’s.

1 Like

Nah, at this point, I prefer the indefinite stealth and translocator. I would rather that to the speed boost regardless of whether or not I have to play a slower game.

Though I am glad that some of the changes were reverted, I want to note that people do not have to slander or belittle the Devs to get their attention like we’ve seen a lot of lately, being that I come from the WoW forums I know that the devs read and listen to feedback and make changes that are seen fit, there’s just no reason to be rude when expressing concern, it is ridiculous.

Thanks Geoff

They are trying to make her into something that isn’t useful. She’s a “disruptor”. You know what’s a lot more disrupting? All the heroes that can simply kill you.

I believe it’s over frustration because Sombra mains have been asking for her to be fixed (literally just game breaking bug fixes) since February, and their response after a few months was a bunch of unexpected changes to her abilities that had absolutely nothing to do with the complaints. It’s very hard to be appreciative when it feels like they haven’t really been listening at all.

When devs follow “listen to the community, and do the opposite” rule, it’s hard to stay polite.

Are you saying there is an easily identifiable community consensus on balancing opinions? Please point me to it. Where is this ONE forum voice that speaks for everyone?

I consider players, that actually play hero, to be good advisers for balance - they know strong and weak sides of their hero, and developed most effective playstyle, based on those. But, judging by mess with recent reworks, they are not players Blizzard listens to.

That would have been a much more reasonable answer than your first post. We, as the community, are not a collective or hivemind. In not listening to one select group of players, that doesn’t mean they aren’t listening to the community in general. Many of the upcoming changes are 100% community suggested. Sure, they don’t include EVERY suggestion that was made down to the dot, but that’s not realistic.

Actually a poll going around the forums and the overwhelming feedback from the reddit community suggest that there IS a unified majority saying the exact same thing. Look at all the threads saying the PTR Sombra is bad. Look at the overwhelming support those threads get. Even YouTubers have started to rally against the PTR Sombra changes.

It’s only a minority of players who seem to think that these changes are ok.

1 Like

But who are in that minority? Are they actually being listened to by devs, or they just blindly accept any change?

That’s what I mean by this. They are implementing a lot of the suggestions that the community is asking for. They ARE listening.

Provide your sources. I’ve never seen anybody ask for these things. If the community asked for these things, they wouldn’t be so overwhelmingly against it.

Um, reverting the detection radius? Allowing the Translocator to be destroyed without looking, reducing the sound cue on TL. They even threw in the fitzy specific suggestion about hack interrupting reload. These are things the “unified majority” were complaining about. The only upcoming change nobody asked for was the EMP affect on Hammond’s mines, but that’s a net plus for Sombra.

Sure, you guys are still asking for reverted speed, contesting, etc. But that you aren’t getting 100% of what you want doesn’t invalidate that you are getting SOME of what you want. Keep providing feedback after this next set of changes hits PTR and they might further tweak Sombra.