"It's a skill issue." Is this toxic?

Don’t mistake the comments - I’m nowhere near offended by any of the voice lines or comments mentioned so far. I’m trying to find the line of what people consider offensive or toxic vs what is okay.

1 Like

Here is a very easy way to tell if you are being toxic or not: imagine the other person is sitting across from you, would you say that? To make it even easier than that, imagine you are in the post game of any sport, would you say/do it?

I played some Rugby games where I completely dominated the people opposite me and after the game was over, I shook their hand, gave them the standard “gg” and said I hoped to see them again later on (implying playoffs).

1 Like

Blizzard will supposedly ban you for saying DVa’s voicelines yourself, yet she’s allowed to say them. Pretty stupid.

1 Like

‘Diff’ is saying someone else is better than you, with the intent to tilt you or shift blame onto someone else.

‘Skill issue’ is a way of trying to convey the Dunning-Kruger effect to people without having to write a Wikipedia entry on it.

2 Likes

Honestly, this was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you.

1 Like

Context is everything.

Context

1 Like

Not really. It’s said to be insulting. You are not helping anyone by saying this. It’s not insightful or helpful at all. It’s just said to be mean. Hate when people try and convince others otherwise, like you’re doing a great service and they’ll suddenly go “Oh! I know exactly how to get better at the game now!”

I only spam the peanut butter and banana voice lines with Winston. I wonder if people finds them toxic.

SAY BACON ONE MORE TIME

that one makes me laugh so much

2 Likes

“You need to get good” is positive encouragement.

“DPS diff” is negative encouragement. AKA Discouragement.

One of these statements is made because you want to see someone git gud. The other is made because you want to talk trash.

1 Like

No, it’s not. This is one of the least helpful things to say to somebody. Everybody is “trying” to git gud. Git gud is not said to be helpful at all, it’s a meme/joke response to trigger someone.
If someone told you to git gud how would you even know what to do? They don’t teach you how or give any advice. It’s a useless comment.

Sounds like you need to get good.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Just another troll to add to the pile. Enjoy being insufferable. Also I have blocked you so your attempt to lure me into an argument to fuel your sadistic entertainment is for nothing. So I guess you can just sit in your grease stained gamer chair stuffing junk food down your gob.

So you don’t want to get good?

2 Likes

D.va is toxic. She’s a charqcarure of gamers.

3 Likes

That might be the craziest spelling of “caricature” I’ve ever seen. Congratulations.

3 Likes

Thank you. It was “intentional”. I spelt “caricature” and my phone autocorrected twice to whatever that Abomination is.

2 Likes

“the hamster said… thank you”

But what if it really is skill issue?

1 Like