Is SR an accurate representation of skill?

Interesting. Bronze?

3 Likes

Cool. But that’s one POTG in one game. How are you consistently?

Your kd ratios are pretty bad, suggesting to me that you die too much. Rein does have a habit of dying, but even your other hero kd are pretty bad.

1 Like

Thanks for the +1 Pie_Eater_Gaz.

Hmmm… i do not disagree about the K:D ratio. Been trying to reduce that.
Lots of mistakes made when i first started playing Competitive. I think that, in this instance, Overbuff would be a better tool to monitor my trend especially in QP because i have not been able to spare the time to finish up Season 12 placements due to work and family (I am 42 years old, married with 2 children).

1 Like

So even though that’s a QP play and it’s pretty good, you can tell it’s a low ranking play. You don’t really look around at all. You’re kinda slow to react after things happen. Like after you charged into the wall, you just kinda stood there like you didn’t expect it to happen. Really not saying this to be mean, but there’s a very very clear difference between high and low level gameplay. That is very low level gameplay.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, DongQuixote.

No offense taken. I am slow, both in game and in real life. Comes with being in my 40s. I agree, based off my (lack of) twitch reflexes, really bad eyesight and constant fatigue (working 7-day weeks of 12 hours manual labour); I am where i should be; at the lower levels and enjoying the games as they come at a level which i am comfortable with.

2 Likes

Thread-starter (TS), imho, i would say that the SR which is factored into the MMR does reflect, to a degree, one’s ability in this game.

However, based off my observations as well as having read many posts and opinions from the forums; i would say that the SR Tier system should not dictate one’s self-worth. One has their IRL achievements and real life communities for that.

That said, i think that the SR Tier system serves its purpose adequately insofar as slotting players into games which they have a fair chance of winning ceteris paribus. Why i say that, well, one of the GM level players here, LeaF (I spent 2 years climbing from silver to GM, ask me anything (700+ Views)) and i met online in a game a couple of months back and despite him facing a 200+ latency versus my 20+ms, the young gentlemen totally annihilated me in a 1v1.

Do note that we met up so that we can do some Arcade because we got along well on the forums. I only went into a custom game to see if a custom game would resolve the ping issues (it did not) and not because i wanted to prove any thing.

Now, i realised that in the past few QP games which i have played with the very few precious spare time which i have in between work, family and the need to sleep (so that i can work even more); my QP wins are like 70%-30% and i believe that it is because my SR (Silver/Bronze) has allowed the system to gauge my MMR accurately and slotted me in with players from Sliver and Bronze. So i do not face games which are a total wipe for myself. Unlike say, in Arcade, where the MMR variance is so much wider and one will see players who are as much as 1000 points above their SR/MMR, resulting in extreme frustration for all players involved.

So, i guess that for anyone who is reading this long naggy post by a grumpy old man; my advice is to look at the SR as a tool which aids you in achieving games which allows you a fair chance at winning and are not lopsided against you. Look at SR in this perspective instead of one which says that “yeah, you suck”.

Remember, it is not the SR, nor the game, nor the Devs which judge your “mad skillz” (or lack thereof), it is the hubris and arrogance of immature people who do.

4 Likes

I must say I really enjoy and agree with pretty much everything you post. I’d like to echo the sentiment that your SR is absolutely not something you should obsess about.

It is an estimate of your skill in Overwatch at the present. Earlier xQc was brought up as an example - he can drop as far as 3900s and climb as high as 4600. This is because he’s… kinda unstable mentally. When he’s in a good mood, his play is amazing and he’s a perfect example of what tank players should strive to be, but when he’s having a bad time, he’s basically throwing. You can have bad stretches, and your SR will reflect that, but you will also bounce back. SR also doesn’t differentiate between what heroes you main, how mechanically skilled you are, how smart as far as game sense goes, etc.

Also, I see so many people taking SR so personally and getting super down about it that it is kind of upsetting.

Everybody is good at something. You may not be top 10% in Overwatch, but you really should not let that upset you. This is a game, and it’s meant to be fun. Competitive is supposed to be a bit more serious, but in the end it’s still a game, and people who are higher rank than you are only better than you in the game.

SR is not something you should get depressed about at all, and this game is meant for fun.

3 Likes

Hard for me to tell if that’s bronze but it doesn’t look like a high ranked Rein to me. First part of the clip you spend swinging at teammates. Second part ult then immediately charge instead of swing/firestrike first. Third part firestrike into a deflecting Genji which you happen to hit, but melee first would be much better.

I’d probably say silver because my expectation of bronze is even lower.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Overbuff as it shows stats per game. Games can obviously vary greatly in length. Hence I prefer stats per minute. Career profile in game does actually list those stats on similar format to on these forums. But sadly forum stats missing a lot of the stats per 10 minutes shown in game.

I’m a slow as molasses 42 year old as well. Quickest way to improve mechanics is death match. I like 4v4 for when I practice support. My Lucio accuracy was circa 22% and kd 2-1. Now accuracy closer to 30% and kd over 3-1. And that’s after just 2-3 hours.

Quickplay is 90% waiting for feeders to actually group up. Death match is the most concentrated form of practice.

Oversumo does give deaths per 10 minutes. I’m around top 5% on this metric. Alas I play too conservatively and don’t contribute enough in other areas. Getting better though. Quite happy with 14.5 heals in 2 rounds of Lijang. Comes from better awareness of team mates a d getting more frags myself, so fewer team mates getting focused down.

1 Like

It’s an accurate representation of your ability to win overwatch games.

I think that the Sr hangup is due to game quality, or lack thereof, at low ranks.

When I was mid gold had a lot of games with comms. We grouped up, discussed hero picks, had team fights, etc.

In silver it’s often toxic kids, zero comms. And team with fewest feeders tends to win.

I have done some amateur boxing. I’m happy that I’m relatively mediocre, as I’m a bit old and do accounts for my job. But the OW equivalent of not being great would be having buckets of warm crap thrown over me mid bout as penance for not being gud enough to fight high level.

1 Like

That’s actually what SR is. It gives a rough estimate of your ability and finds matches with people of roughly the same ability as well.

Just like I don’t get salty about my elo rating in chess being low. I use it to find games against other people at the same elo.

1 Like

Well, i believe i’ve answered my own question the last couple of days. I queued with a friend nearly 800 lower and it was obvious pretty quickly.

Low to mid silver games people nonstop trickle in. Every fight seems like a 1 v 6. Infact some of the easiest games i’ve had in a while. There were games where i was 16 and 1 and i die a bunch.

1 Like

well yes, back in season 1 it used to be, but not today

pls explain what this is and how it works i have no idea

1 Like

Ugg, season 1 was the worst.

Say a GM where to be in your gold comp game, would they have an issue killing everything on the enemy team?

Now if you can do that, doesn’t that mean that you lack the ability to carry your way up from where you’re at now?

SR is not a true representation of your skill but you can lose games on a slim margin and lose SR and win games where you’re carried all through. SR is simply where you belong in the competitive Scene presently. If you were Better, one way or another you’ll climb.
Skill is just not thing in overwatch. It’s a whole collection of things. SR could never determine that. But you could be a gold, plat, bronze GM skilled level player.

PS: when I say ‘you’ I don’t you particularly. I’m referring to whoever it may concern.

+1 Thank you, DongQ.
And your posts have always been agreeable (albeit straightforward) and echo, frequently, what is on my mind as well.

“Estimate”, “approximation”, “aggregate” are same of the appropriate words; i agree.
xQc is a very good example, i also agree. At his best, he is up there with the likes of Gesture and Fissure as a Tanker, maybe even more so especially with Winston and likely a more balanced Reinhardt player than Fragi (although i still prefer Fragi’s playstyle and down-to-earth temperament).
Although, i am thinking now… just how much of his outbursts and “bad behaviour” is real and how much of it is a persona he is adopting as “xQc” the OW Tanker versus Félix Lengyel the man. :thinking:

Yes, as an “older” adult who is a parent, employer and previously an educator; i share your concerns as well. Which is why i have been making an active effort on these forums to be as encouraging and positive as time and situation allows.

I think that it is a wonderful thing that Overwatch, being just a video game, has touched so many lives across the globe. It really is a global phenomenon.
It has brought much positive influences into so many hundreds and thousands of lives with this being such a one:

It has also brought people together (shout out to my buddies in the U.S. made from these forums in particular, Tactician; LeaF; Craver) and just brought many hours of fun into otherwise mundane lives (speaking of hours, look at TreeBoy Dave!)
Yet, on the other end of the spectrum, there are so many people who are “feels bad” or worse over the SR = Skill so if you are in the lower Tiers like me, You Suck; You don’t belong; Git Gud or Git Out etc etc.

I think that we cannot underestimate just how much impact Overwatch has in the lives of its millions of players. I am certain that it figures very very prominently in their lives. I mean, even amongst my little family of four; it is a topic of discussion and passion between my children and i. We have bought the artbooks (4 copies), we have some of the toys and my daughter is looking forward to the Lego sets while my son wants the Nerf guns (especially Reaper, his favourite character). We all watch the OWL to varying degrees as well.

So with that said, it is understandable that people would be affected due to SR because, well, it is a basic human need to be respected and to feel like they belong.

If it is one thing i have realised after reading so many topics and posts in the past few months in these forums and also observed the behaviour of people in game; is that well almost everyone makes light of the lower Tiers, even though Silver and Bronze makes up a whopping 29% of the player population.

Now, i say, “make light of”; which is not insulting or bullying but very much like dismissive. It is this general attitude from the Top down the Tiers, i believe, which makes people very aware of their SR because people want to feel valued and respected and the only way to be so in the game which has so much impact in their lives and figures so prominently, would be to be high up on the rankings.

To many, i believe that:
It is just a (video) game.
It is more than just a game.
It is a my life’s game.
It is my haven, my passion.

/sigh

P.S. apologies for the long winded post. Just something to share since we are the topic of how SR appears to have such an effect on the players, in general.

2 Likes

It’s because lower tiers lack understanding of the game and make really dumb statements due to their lack of understanding of the game. All the while puffing their chest as if they know better than people who have been around longer, experienced far more, already been through what they are going through, and understand the game to a much deeper level.

So yes, higher SR will be dismissive of lower SR. It’s not that they look down on them as a person, it’s that their opinions/statements quite frankly are bad.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, Jacqui and it did elicit a wry chuckle as well because

Well, since we are addressing this and I know that you are not looking down or belittling Bronze tier players because it probably is a fact that quite a number of Bronze tier players are more clueless than Silver tier ones are; it is off-handed comments such as this which makes people so conscious of SR because of the basic innate human need to be respected and not be disregarded.

Of course, the adage that “respect is earned, not given” does apply but at the same time, simple courtesy also goes a ways as well insofar as basic respect accorded to the everyman.

So as a continuation, I do not disagree that there may be a number of Silver/Bronze rankers who are as disagreeable as you have mentioned. It is some thing which was mentioned by many veterans/experts such as yourself in one of my threads.

While I can understand the frustration which many of you veterans have undergone in the forums (I can relate being an educator in a High School previously) but well… hmmm… I think you probably know what I mean to say…
It really is somewhat of a chicken-and-egg situation, right?

Thing is, end of the day, the fixation on SR probably will continue; the game being what it is and more essentially, people being what they are…

Yeah, I know right. XD
Well, as I mentioned, people would be what they are wont to be.
SR is not (totally) the problem here, granted the system is not perfect (but then again, nothing really is); it is people - be they pompous higher than thou SR holders or self-important lower than thou SR players.

As forumers and players, I guess that we just do whatever good we can when we can.