Intentionally locking out a one-trick out of their hero just to spite them counts as gameplay sabotage, no?

I feel like the people who should switch should be the people who failed to do their part. If after the first round I’ve got 9K gold healing, why am I obligated to throw that away because, say, a tank’s positioning was terrible, or our DPS couldn’t kill, or our other supports weren’t on the ball?

1 Like

Except this is a separate behavior.

A hero pick by itself is innocuous. A standard hero pick that has zero malicious intent, is very different from a hero pick done out of spite to hurt your teammates and intentionally grief your team.

Also, the act of stealing someone else’s hero, doesn’t just apply to only OTPs.

Screwing over another teammate by using an in-game mechanic… the hero selection screen, and using 1HL auto-lock to lock out a teammate specifically because you want to be a jerk, only out of spite, is sabotage.

These are unequivocal.

One-tricking specifically got an okay from Blizzard. You can’t blanketly apply that to all hero selections, because not all hero selections are one-tricking.

1 Like

No, all hero picks got an okay from Blizzard. They explicitly stated that no hero pick is reportable, they said nothing about one-tricks. The person that took your hero paid for the game, they have all the same right to pick whatever hero they want as one-tricks. You are not entitled to a hero simply because you have more time on that hero. If a one-trick refusing to coordinate hero picks with their team isn’t throwing, then someone refusing to coordinate their hero pick with one-tricks isn’t throwing either. It is the same thing. Either hero picks are reportable or they aren’t.

1 Like

I feel the same way, I have been asked to change up the DPS when I am sitting on 4 golds and the next elim count is at least 10 away from me.
I hate it.

But sometimes, it may not be about individual performance, but more optimal overall team performance. So say I switch to DVa or Rein, I’m still going to lap the others on kills. But maybe the old rein, now new dps goes from 5 kills to 25 because he doesn’t really play rein. Overall that is a win for the team.

The only sure thing is if you do the exact same thing again you are very likely going to lose anyway.

No, they didn’t.

It says “Gameplay Sabotage is not simply making a mistake, playing poorly or an unwillingness to switch heroes.”

That is not the same thing as saying “all hero picks got an okay”.

It does not say that anywhere. The definition of Gameplay Sabotage does not say “No hero pick is reportable”.

It says “Gameplay Sabotage is not simply making a mistake, playing poorly or an unwillingness to switch heroes.”

Just an unwillingness to switch heroes, alone is not reportable. But if you stack that on top of an additional crime, which is angrily/spitefully stealing someone else’s hero in the second round for no other reason than to be a jerk, then it’s pretty clearly sabotage… you still intended to screw over your teammate.

It says in Kaplan’s interview;

It’s not up to your teammates who you should play. I do think it’s respectful to people to be willing to gel with the team composition, but you can’t ban somebody - it’s not a bannable offence - for just playing one hero, as long as you’re trying your best to win with that hero.

A one-trick, who chooses to be so, is only just playing one hero. Nothing more, nothing less, regardless of how much baggage is associated with the title of OTP.

Meanwhile, a person that would spitefully steal someone else’s hero pick, is not “just playing one hero”. They’re committing a separate offense that directly disrupts their team.

1 Like

This is the official post on hero picks:

If the person that took your hero is “playing to win” and aren’t throwing by the same standard of “throwing” that one-tricks are held to, then it’s not reportable. It’s as simple as that.

1 Like

No where in here does it say that you can report someone because you want to play the hero they’re playing.

You said it yourself. Unwillingness to switch heroes is not reportable.

I think your trying to shoehorn whatever argument your trying to make in order to get the answer you want.

In all your scenario’s, the teammate isn’t at fault. Picking a hero isn’t reportable and you can’t prove spite.

Even if you can prove spite, it literally doesn’t matter. If you pick an off-meta hero out of “spite” in any other circumstance, it’s not reportable unless you’re actually throwing. It’s not suddenly any different just because it affects a one-trick.

The report option was specifically changed because players would report against a one-trick. People were abusing the report system because a one-trick chose to be a one-trick…

Let me rephrase that.

• People were being jerks to one-tricks, therefore Blizzard changed their policy to help one-tricks.

• Here is another, very similar situation where people are being jerks to one-tricks. People are using Blizzard’s own policy change to specifically target one-tricks when they’re angry, and using it as a defense.

That’s called “playing hard and fast with the rules”. In both scenarios, one-tricks were being hurt.

The protection offered towards one-tricks is now being spun around to protect toxic players who want to spite one-tricks (and everyone else too, since it’s not a problem local to one-tricks… they’re just the main target in a spiteful hero pick targeted at a teammate).

At the time of writing that official post, it was inconceivable to them that the policy change could ever be used as justification to harass and bully another teammate out of spite.

The text is already outdated, it uses a now defunct report option description, which has been modified. Therefore, an update to their stance is in order.

Again, that’s not the only “crime”.

Choosing to screw over your teammate by taking their hero in a subsequent round or game session, specifically because you want to be a jerk, that’s the behavior that’s reportable.

It stands to reason that if something is sabotage that has more crimes than just choosing a singular hero…

If something is done with malicious intent, out of spite to hurt one or more of your teammates, and uses the hero select mechanic then it’s sabotage.

1 Like

Nope. There’s nothing that states taking a hero away from someone is reportable, no matter the reasoning or intent. There is however, plenty of evidence that hero picks aren’t reportable under any circumstance.

Yes, and the new report option specifically states that unwillingness to switch heroes is not reportable. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, hero picks are never reportable.

Nothing is being “spun around”. It’s the same exact rules. It’s one-tricks who are trying to spin it around and make it only apply to them.

1 Like

Except the exact definition of gameplay sabotage.

These aren’t exclusivity agreements. There are times when things overlap, and its very much implied in life itself, when a genuinely negative behavior used to punish your teammates exists, a logical conclusion would be that the negative behavior is punishable.

When that behavior rises as a result of a particular reading of the rules, that’s playing hard and fast.

Blizzard squashed a feature that was used disproportionately against one-tricks. It stands to reason that they have to squash all feature exploits that can be disproportionately be used against all populations.

Players who hate one-tricks will forever be coming up with new ways to disproportionately affect one-tricks until the end of the game’s lifespan, and will continue to exploit technicalities that justifying using features of the game disproportionately against one-tricks.

False. I’m not even a one-trick, I flex.

I’m pointing out the existence of a glaring in Blizzard’s policy which is at ends with their own definition of sabotage, and how because that glaring flaw exists it will continue to propogate a behavior against one-tricks.

Normalizing a negative behavior means it will start to happen outside of just the population that people don’t like… it’ll start trickling down to everyday interactions with DPS players, with flex players, with healers.

It shouldn’t ever get to that point.

If picking a hero that someone else wants to play is “gameplay sabotage”, then by that same logic you can say someone refusing to switch heroes to something more useful is “gameplay sabotage”. You don’t get to pick and choose when you want rules to apply.

You’re cherry-picking. I very explicitly lined up the terms that indicate a difference between;

1. “just picking a hero that someone else wants to play”

and

1. “a behavior that emerges in the late game where, at second hero-select phase, a toxic player specifically, targetedly, steals another teammate’s hero from an earlier round that the teammate intended to play, refuses to give it back, shows no particularly good will in further interactions, and impacts the game in a manner that would wholly be considered sabotage to their own team (by jeopardizing not one, but two character slots becoming dead weight)”

I’ve been explicit every step of the way. These are not the same thing.

But there is no difference. You don’t get to choose what’s toxic and what’s acceptable. Plenty of people say that picking a hero that’s not useful in the current situation is toxic and “sabotaging” their game. You don’t get to have it both ways, if you want rules that protect your hero pick, then they protect everyone’s hero picks. Intentions and “targeting” don’t matter at all. Unless the person is throwing by the same standards that one-tricks are held to, then you cannot report them for their hero pick. They have no obligation to “give it back” or to cater their hero pick to anyone else, just the same as one-tricks. If I want to play Symmetra, I’m allowed to play Symmetra no matter what. It doesn’t matter if there’s a Symmetra one-trick on my team, it doesn’t matter if they played Symmetra in the first round. I’m allowed to play any hero, in any game, at any time. Anything else is blatant hypocrisy. If one is sabotage, then so is the other.

Cry more, one tricks. No sympathies from me.

The amount of mental gymnastics…

No unless they actively show that they are throwing or trolling you cannot assume it is out of malicious intent. Deal with it they paid for the game and are in full right to pick whatever hero they want

No one is entitled to a hero it’s is not reportable in the slightest if someone takes a one tricks hero. Unless they someone actively throws or trolls or insults they are not reportable. Gameplay sabotage rule is absolute gameplay sabotage is not the unwillingness to switch or doing badly. Blizzard themselves made this rule blizzard overrules whatever definition you come up with.

Deal

With

It