Intentionally locking out a one-trick out of their hero just to spite them counts as gameplay sabotage, no?

Yes, and the new report option specifically states that unwillingness to switch heroes is not reportable. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, hero picks are never reportable.

Nothing is being “spun around”. It’s the same exact rules. It’s one-tricks who are trying to spin it around and make it only apply to them.

1 Like

Except the exact definition of gameplay sabotage.

These aren’t exclusivity agreements. There are times when things overlap, and its very much implied in life itself, when a genuinely negative behavior used to punish your teammates exists, a logical conclusion would be that the negative behavior is punishable.

When that behavior rises as a result of a particular reading of the rules, that’s playing hard and fast.

Blizzard squashed a feature that was used disproportionately against one-tricks. It stands to reason that they have to squash all feature exploits that can be disproportionately be used against all populations.

Players who hate one-tricks will forever be coming up with new ways to disproportionately affect one-tricks until the end of the game’s lifespan, and will continue to exploit technicalities that justifying using features of the game disproportionately against one-tricks.

False. I’m not even a one-trick, I flex.

I’m pointing out the existence of a glaring in Blizzard’s policy which is at ends with their own definition of sabotage, and how because that glaring flaw exists it will continue to propogate a behavior against one-tricks.

Normalizing a negative behavior means it will start to happen outside of just the population that people don’t like… it’ll start trickling down to everyday interactions with DPS players, with flex players, with healers.

It shouldn’t ever get to that point.

If picking a hero that someone else wants to play is “gameplay sabotage”, then by that same logic you can say someone refusing to switch heroes to something more useful is “gameplay sabotage”. You don’t get to pick and choose when you want rules to apply.

You’re cherry-picking. I very explicitly lined up the terms that indicate a difference between;

1. “just picking a hero that someone else wants to play”

and

1. “a behavior that emerges in the late game where, at second hero-select phase, a toxic player specifically, targetedly, steals another teammate’s hero from an earlier round that the teammate intended to play, refuses to give it back, shows no particularly good will in further interactions, and impacts the game in a manner that would wholly be considered sabotage to their own team (by jeopardizing not one, but two character slots becoming dead weight)”

I’ve been explicit every step of the way. These are not the same thing.

But there is no difference. You don’t get to choose what’s toxic and what’s acceptable. Plenty of people say that picking a hero that’s not useful in the current situation is toxic and “sabotaging” their game. You don’t get to have it both ways, if you want rules that protect your hero pick, then they protect everyone’s hero picks. Intentions and “targeting” don’t matter at all. Unless the person is throwing by the same standards that one-tricks are held to, then you cannot report them for their hero pick. They have no obligation to “give it back” or to cater their hero pick to anyone else, just the same as one-tricks. If I want to play Symmetra, I’m allowed to play Symmetra no matter what. It doesn’t matter if there’s a Symmetra one-trick on my team, it doesn’t matter if they played Symmetra in the first round. I’m allowed to play any hero, in any game, at any time. Anything else is blatant hypocrisy. If one is sabotage, then so is the other.

Cry more, one tricks. No sympathies from me.

The amount of mental gymnastics…

No unless they actively show that they are throwing or trolling you cannot assume it is out of malicious intent. Deal with it they paid for the game and are in full right to pick whatever hero they want

No one is entitled to a hero it’s is not reportable in the slightest if someone takes a one tricks hero. Unless they someone actively throws or trolls or insults they are not reportable. Gameplay sabotage rule is absolute gameplay sabotage is not the unwillingness to switch or doing badly. Blizzard themselves made this rule blizzard overrules whatever definition you come up with.

Deal

With

It

When you are spitefully and negatively impacting your teammate’s performance, that is very clearly 100% without a doubt a toxic behavior.

When this situation occurs, it’s not a matter of deciding if it’s toxic. It’s a matter of deciding intent.

• If someone intended to be toxic, it’s toxic.

• If someone innocently or accidentally did this, it’s still toxic but forgivable that it doesn’t condone a report.

• If someone intentionally does this because they think they can do better, it’s still toxic but usually forgivable on the sole condition that they do well

By and large, you’re expecting all teammates to play by the same rules, but this isn’t something that can be equal.

This behavior isn’t OTP exclusive. Being the victims of a spiteful denial can happen to anybody. This happens to everyone, as I’ve repeatedly said… one-tricks are just the most common victims of a spiteful denial, but they aren’t the only victims.

Except when choosing to play that hero impacts another player’s ability to play that hero.

You can use it to bully. And people do.

And when this sequence of events occurs where you deny somebody a hero, your team gets disrupted and hurt.

The difference here is that when a flex player gets affected, it’s a bummer. Oh well, good thing they’re a flex player and can pick someone else.

When a one-trick player is affected, it’s now a liability because it’s a hero selection that affects two hero slots, not just one. Everyone on the team will be able to see immediately when the one-trick’s effectiveness plummets on another hero, to the point where that action of denying them their one-trick hero, ends up being sabotage.

Don’t one trick, do the community a favor.

1 Like

One-Tricking is more of a problem than anything, what if 2 people one-trick the same hero? What if someone one-tricks a hero that does poorly on a certain map? Yeah, Filthy One tricks, learn how to play other heroes. ITS ONE OF THE MAIN GAME MECHANICS AND YOU PEOPLE CANT EVEN DO THAT. THATS HOW BAD IT IS.

Do not one-trick, problem solved. Be part of the solution instead of perpetuating the problem.

Stop making excuses for your selfish behavior in game.

This all or nothing attitude against one-tricks deserves a permanent ban with extreme prejudice tbh.

I’m in the maining camp, I’m all for getting better at a handful of heroes but being broad enough to pick more than that if needed. If someone is playing a hero exclusively I think nothing of it, it’s how they want to play the game. I’m coming from a background in LoL where the team with 3 really weird picks on one-tricks end up roflstomping the meta-slaves with terrifying regularity. That’s not a consistent outcome and much harder to do in OW, but I see no reason for all this hate.

If you’re using one-tricking to excuse poor teamwork then I find that reportable and deserving of removal from competitive outright. This includes the one-tricks themselves and players who have so little emotional control that the mere presence of a one-trick causes them to throw the game and compound the likelihood of our loss. I’d be glad to see both permanently banned from a competitive environment.

Intent doesn’t matter. Intent is not reportable. Only actions are reportable, and unless they’re throwing, cheating, or harassing someone, their actions aren’t reportable. This is objective truth and supported by Blizzard’s own rules and statements.

You’re literally saying that one-tricks should be given special treatment. Everyone must follow the same rules, and all rules apply to everyone equally.

Nope. There is no circumstance in which I’m not allowed to play any hero I want, or in which I can be reported for my hero choice. My teammate’s abilities on certain heroes has zero effect on this.

The same can be said for when a one-trick refuses to switch heroes to support their team. But hey, that’s perfectly fine, as is this.

Doesn’t matter. If one person’s hero choice isn’t punishable regardless of how much it hurts their team, then nobody’s is. If one is sabotage, then both are. If one is not sabotage, neither are. You don’t get to have it both ways. You don’t get to pick and choose who gets hero freedom. If nobody gets a say in your hero choice, you don’t get a say in anyone else’s hero choice.

No, it’s to do with the fact this game has 27 heroes, and if we have four one-tricks on the same team, and neither of them know how to play another hero, then there is a serious problem. This is the reason why it’s difficult to welcome them with open arms. It’s rarely to do with their performance than it is when they all one-trick the same thing and get matched on the same team.

As of right now, the MM system doesn’t put that into consideration, so we have a very weak set up which ultimately will affect the entire outcome of the match.

If you’re great with your pick, that’s, well, great, but you can’t expect to exclusively hold rights to that hero if someone else selects it first. My point was that one-tricks shouldn’t exist in itself. Maining a hero is completely different to that. Mains usually know how to play other heroes where-else one-tricks, well, don’t.

That’s a fair situation, but the specific quote you chose from me has nothing to do with that. If the very idea that someone’s one-tricking justifies you throwing the match to spite them then I’d gladly see you banned just as swiftly as you’d like the one-trick to be. That mindset falls into the same toxicity of “do what I say or I’ll guarantee we lose” and reaches further than just one-tricking. Competitive would do well to see both parties removed outright from what I’ve seen on the forums.

No, you cant have doble standards on this, if you have the right to pick any hero you want regardless of the situation, then that is also true for all other players, you simply cant have it both ways.

And mine wasn’t jusifying that behaviour either. However, you can’t report someone for picking your hero if that person isn’t throwing.

Even if it’s trashy to do something out of spite, it’s not an offense if that person is actually getting good picks on the hero they took away from someone else. If they aren’t throwing the game, where would the reason for a report be?

They can’t report that one-trick for doing poorly on a hero they’ve never played before, and they can’t report someone for taking away someone’s one-trick hero if they’re not actively sabotaging the game for the other four players.

short answer: don’t one trick

Taking a hero that a one-trick was playing when no previous interest to play that hero has been expressed is effectively gameplay sabotage. Doing well on that hero does not defend the fact that your only reason for picking it is to spite another player rather than help the team. That is gameplay sabotage and will be reported as such and punished accordingly. Hate the player all you want, but if what benefits the team is your ability to do well on other heroes while the one-trick sticks to their pony then that’s all that matters to the other 4 players who do not care for your drama.

If you think this scenario is too vague and innocent players will be punished then your issue is with Blizzard. I can understand the difficulty of dealing with mass reports but removing the human element to the extent they have creates more problems than it solves.

Regardless of your opinion of it, it’s not gameplay sabotage, and reporting for it is false reporting. If one person’s hero choice is not gameplay sabotage, then nobody’s is. If one person can sabotage their team with poor hero choice, then everyone can.

1 Like