If you think Mercy isn't fun or impactful anymore

This. This post is 100% perfect. Even Bold letters isn’t enough to emphasize it.

One post: “i find her fun and if you didn’t have fun is your fault.”

Another post: “fun is subjective”

They guy with netherland flag below me sure takes long time to write his post.

:netherlands: Replying…

Geez louise i just dont like her ult is that a crime

Still typing! Come on, Dutchman, say something already, godverdomme! =D

The only thing that took fun away from Mercy for me was not being able to Mass Rez. I understand why exactly it was gone, but it was obnoxious and tilting so I loved it.

Rez’ing four people and spamming “On a scale of 1-10, HOW IS YOUR PAIN?” towards the enemy was very fun.

I still like Mercy, she’s just meh to play outside of avoiding everything.

The reason I make these videos is for Mercy mains to feel a little bit better about playing Mercy, since there’s so much negativity surrounding her most everywhere else.

They should not be taken as: a) a demonstration of skill, b) an indication that Mercy is fine right now (give Mercy some utility and then we’ll talk), c) a reason to say that any critique of the current Mercy condition is invalid.

There are a lot of valid reasons for people to have lost interest in playing Mercy, like the constant hate Mercy mains get and the fact that at times there isn’t much you can do except 50HP/s (or in case of anti heal nade: nothing). How Valk can be kinda boring. I get that.

Personally, I don’t have the time to write up long posts or upvote things in forums to get Blizzard to listen, but I admire those who do and fight for a better Mercy future. The recent changes to Mercy I believe were partly in recognition of those efforts, so thank you.

20 Likes

Yes, fun is subjective, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be addressed, improvement or deteriorated.

Blizzard is an entertainment studio, it’s literally their job to make it fun. How they know they succeed/failed is beyond me to know, so here we are.

Thanks for clarifying so that your video doesn’t get used by people with hidden agendas that doesn’t want mercy to get better :rofl:

TL, DR;

“FiLthY M3RcY M4in5 jU5t W4nT h3r OP!!”

It’s just pointless to argue with people that use arguments like this because they are generalizing everything and just refuse to see mercy mains just want her to be fun, not to be OP.

3 Likes

But how do you balance about something subjective that can differ for each individual person?

You can never balance around fun because what one thinks is fun might be frustrating for another.

I genuinly dislike playing Genji, have zero fun with him. Should he be reworked so he is more fun for me? No he shouldn’t because he’s in a fine place and there’s 28 other heroes for me to pick from.

Well if somebody can’t have fun in a game with 29 heroes and multiple gamemodes, I’m genuinly wonder if Blizzard can do anything to make it fun for that person.

1 Like

Swing potential in what way? The way Mass Rez swung a fight is completely different from any other ult. Would you want some like Coalesence? Would that be enough swing potential?

This seems like a case of moving the goal post but I’ll bite.

Statistically it was well known that 5 man rez was a losing strat and was very punishable. The only reason why it was done was because of absolutely broken SR gains at the time allowing bad mercy players to rise in rank with negative winrates.

The other problem was the rez buff with the 1 second invulnerable, which made it seem like 5 man rez on point was a valid strat, as before it would have been immediately punished before the team could do anything.

Mass rez wasn’t a problem, it was blizzards busted SR system and poor decision making on rez that allowed bad players to rise up to a rank where they didn’t belong. THAT is what people were upset about. Not that mercy had mass rez, but that unqualified players were in ranks they couldn’t compete in.

And this horrible decision making on blizzards part led to the 6 month moth meta. So tell me how “blizzards own intuition” really factors into the equation here other than to overcomplicate things to such a rediculous degree that it breaks the game for over half a year and churns out the most toxicity ever seen on these forums.

You can’t really claim that these criteria you’ve pulled out of nowhere were checked 3/3 prerework: statistically the SR system was broken, player sentiment was always focused on unqualified players in ranks they shouldn’t have been in, and blizzard made terribly overcomplicated decisions regarding mercy.

Sure, mercy might be in a valid spot right now, but blizzard deserves every bit of criticism they get for creating such savage toxicity and division in the community.

5 Likes

Transcendence also has massive swing potential, as does Nano. Although Nano potential lies with the target entirely, it can still be huge enough that it warrants note.

I know. I picked Coalesence as it’s the closest to Valk really.

Not sure why you feel that way since all I did was explain what Blizzard keeps in mind when they balance heroes.

I’m not saying the don’t deserve criticism or anything like that.

I only explained why she was reworked and why now is only checked on or gets minor changes.

With mass ress, all 3 boxes were checked. The reasoning why is another discussion. And to be honest, I would have made the same decision if I had the choice between reworking a hero or rework an entire ranked system. But again, that’s a different discussion.

Right now, the only thing that is ticked is that there are players that are unhappy.

Again, I’m not saying everything went perfect or nobody should be criticised just saying what Blizzard uses for balance and that the boxes right just aren’t ticket.

And as I said earlier, balancing on subjective feelings is the worst thing a game can do since feelings are different for each induvidual.

The only problem that stuck out in the ranked system was the disproportional SR gains made with 5 man rez, not the entire system itself. This could have been easily fixed with simple changes to rez impact on rank advancements. Also, individual performance SR gains were removed from the top ranks for the very problem of people using stat padding to get there instead of legitimate competetive teamwork (which would have also alleviated the problem of players being in the wrong rank).

Although I will grant you that some kind of rework might have been inevitable with mercy players wanting an E ability and unintended gameplay being rewarded on blizzards end with SR gains.

Well, seeing as Coalescence has a ton of interaction, yeah.

It’s one of the few ults that interact with every player on all teams. It gives a speed boost, but removes your other tools for escape and self healing, making you more vulnerable to certain types of attack then your base kit. It has tons of depth.

We’re angry because the healer we picked up at launch has been changed drastically into a numbers game. We dislike the product, so we complain. You don’t like it? …boo hoo?

2 Likes

You get a personal heal of 50 hps during Coalescence. Regardless, so if Valk functioned somewhat like Coalescence in it’s own Valky way, thatd be enough swing potential for you?

The entire premise of the rework is that Mercy created an “unfun” experience for the enemy team.

Blizzard set the standard of fun being a legitimate reason to change a hero. Complain to them if you don’t like it.

2 Likes

That’s been my issue with Valk the start. Lacking interactivity, having bad pacing.